Now that the 2013 Championships are over..

jmeris

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• CWeber

• Cobra4B

• circuitmstr

COTA would be cool. So would Barber. Road Atlanta? Or anywhere closer than a 38hr drive from Orlando like Miller is.

I certainly hope it is not at Miller again! I, like many others, would have to withdraw once again

COTA would be cool. So would Barber. Road Atlanta? Or anywhere closer than a 38hr drive from Orlando like Miller is.

I certainly hope it is not at Miller again! I, like many others, would have to withdraw once again

38 hours? That's nothing!! We went to Mid-Ohio in 2006, 2007, 2011 and 2012... 46 hours towing--ONE WAY!!

Laguna Seca would be nice too...it IS the sight over the 2014 SCCA Runoffs afterall.

38 hours? That's nothing!! We went to Mid-Ohio in 2006, 2007, 2011 and 2012... 46 hours towing--ONE WAY!!

Laguna Seca would be nice too...it IS the sight over the 2014 SCCA Runoffs afterall.

You sir, have more money than me. Thanks for rubbing it in

Miller is 38hrs from Orlando each way. That would cost me over $5k in fuel alone.

You sir, have more money than me. Thanks for rubbing it in

Miller is 38hrs from Orlando each way. That would cost me over $5k in fuel alone.

How much fuel do you use? What are you driving?

I'd love to hear COTA but I'd also love to win the lottery and other similar astronomical chance type things. If it does happen it'll be pricey.

Please don't put it at a "meh" club level track whatever we do. Or a track that favors power cars, or handling cars, let's get some balance

VIR full course would be cool to see.

But my darkhorse candidate / bet would be NOLA, and not so much of a darkhorse if they finish the 2nd half of the track.

Miller wasn't ever bad, I've gone and enjoyed it, but this past year it seems like it didn't bring out the west coast people and classes like normal / years past so maybe it's time to move it back east. Might as well see if you can draw more eastern people since the westies didn't go even when it was alot closer for them this round.

Announce it so we can all start planning and budgeting!

I think the most of the major league tracks are going to favor one thing over another. vir and road Atlanta both require competitive hp performance. same with Watkins Glen or Sebring or Road America. Mid Ohio less so.

My hope has always been to move the event regularly so that the home track advantage gets moved around. Midwest/great lakes drivers have that advantage at mid ohio and that's fine, so long as the southern drivers get their turn for some home cooking.

its a shame that doing a 5 year rotation is so difficult to schedule.

If not COTA...how bout Buttonwillow, CA......or Thunderhill Raceway!! Better yet, an awesome facility and close to wine country or San Francisco, Sonoma Raceway!

The east coast guys can put their cars on a car carrier for $1000 and fly in!

If not COTA...how bout Buttonwillow, CA......or Thunderhill Raceway!! Better yet, an awesome facility and close to wine country or San Francisco, Sonoma Raceway!

Thunderhill is an awesome/technical/fast track (and the 25 was amazing to run in) and Sonoma is a great track and great facility.

will you guys actually show up?

If the general objection of travel is the real reason people don't attend then we should try to find something closer to the center of the country. It seems like the perfect facility would have

- garages and meeting buildings

- large paddock space with pavement

- minimal home track advantage

- close to a metro area for hotels and restaurants.

I have never been there, but know Grand Am did what about the track at Kansas City. It would seem to meet many of the requirements. I know rovals are not all that popular but it works for Daytona so why not us. I don't think they do club events due to HPDE, so most would not have advantage. Just a thought never driven it but have driven by it on my way to several events.

Instead of going to a meh track in the middle of the country that would still make EVERYONE have to travel a decent bit, a rotation amoung desitnation tracks in various parts of the country could be a better solution imho. Some years you'd have to travel across country, but at least you'd be at a cool bucket list type place when you get there. And some years it'd be close to you. Seems fair, no?

Scheduling being the big PITA of course. The couple years at Mid-O and couple years at Miller seemed to work though, but time to do new locations

I agree Ken... if I had the money and time I'd love to run Sears Point or Laguna Seca (or whatever they call them now). My parents have pictures of me as an infant at both tracks in the early 80s

Makes sense, so it is not really about travel or expense it is about the track. Great since bucket list vary greatly from person to person, NASA should survey all attendees from any of the last three nationals to prioritize the tracks and then develop a three to five year plan. See simple.

Makes sense, so it is not really about travel or expense it is about the track. Great since bucket list vary greatly from person to person, NASA should survey all attendees from any of the last three nationals to prioritize the tracks and then develop a three to five year plan. See simple.

No... it is travel expense. But a "bucket list" track can make the expense worth it. I'd never spend the money to haul to Utah... but Cali.... maybe.

a NASA-wide survey would be great to see. This is everyone's club afterall, not just the lucky few that have been fortunate enough to make one of the last 3 Nationals, and thus the club's championships should be structured to serve the biggest number of club members in the end.

A nicer track can make the tow worth it to more people and increase attendance.

A rotation to spread around who has the long tows would be cool to see and definitely fair.

etc etc

And having more / the most number of people possible means bigger fields, means the championship or podium you might accomplish will mean more, means more and bigger contingency type prizes, etc.

KB - Nationals 2006, 2007, 2009. Missed 2008 and 2012 due to no job, 2010 and 2011 to misc other uncontrollable life events getting in the way, and 2013 due to buying a house. The desire and will to go has been there every single year though, Mid-O or Miller, 500mi away, 1200mi away, or 1400 mi away.

Edited by Guest

will you guys actually show up?

Ha! I've done my part of going to nationals...been to every national championship (except last weekend's) since the inception.

Put it this way, we'll be there is you guys will!

a NASA-wide survey would be great to see. This is everyone's club afterall, not just the lucky few that have been fortunate enough to make one of the last 3 Nationals, and thus the club's championships should be structured to serve the biggest number of club members in the end.

Interesting thought, but remember NASA is not a club, but a business. Most business value the input of customers who buy a product more often over those that purchase less often. It really is just a fact of life. I don't really object to where it is held but the reality is no matter where it is some will choose to attend others won't and forums will be full of both sides, and all sorts of reasons or theories about why.

On a positive note, I just returned from Miller 20 hour drive each way burned over 600 gallons of fuel just on the trip to all three cars and an RV and it was a great time. NASA team is the best, the track is awesome one of my fav's and I have been to Road America, Road Atlanta, VIR, Mid O, and a bunch of others. The track is a great combination of fast and technical sections to really separate driver skill and car prep. If it is at all possible I will go to the next one as well, don't really care where. I don't choose to go because it's close, or a specific track, but because I like the NASA family, and our friends and I love the competition, even if I got beat by many, still fun to participate and compete.

Sebring.

It's certainly historic, balances horsepower and momentum cars, has plenty of room for everyone (including out on the 3.7 mile course), you just had nationals on the other corner of the country from it so it would add some balance, and it is a bucket list track for many.

For those of you saying "blah blah blah I will go no matter where it is because the NASA family" and all that: Sounds great, since I am part of your family, can I borrow some of your seemingly endless money so I can attend? Or are only those that have enough money to attend events across the country in your family?

I don't believe the people that are attending year after year should be the target audience to please. They obviously have enough money or resources to attend no matter where it is. Instead Nasa should focus on: How can we increase the car counts? The only answer is making the event more accessible by holding it in a more central location. Also, a purse from NASA would be nice.

In all honesty, I built my car to do one thing: Win nationals at Mid-Ohio last year and get in the mazdaspeed shootout. My car was not done on time and I did not foresee the switch to Miller for this year. I did register for Miller (early) and spent the entire year focusing all of my energy into developing($$$$$) my car and saving money to get there and get the job done once I did. Regrettably I had to withdraw a couple weeks ago because of finances after already ordering multiple sets of stickers etc. It just wasn't practical. Very dissapointing, considering my efforts and that I consider my car a contender.

I am not the only one in this position, and unfortunately it is the nature of the beast. But if something could be done to help the little guys...