Now that the 2013 Championships are over..

jmeris

The National Corvette Museum is supposed to have their track finished late summer early fall in 2014. Could be a good choice for something new but still not very central for both coast....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• CWeber

• Cobra4B

• circuitmstr

Also - uhh, Miller is a high speed cornering track and definitely rewards hp. If you'd ever go, you'd know that

It's really too bad that we don't do the full track at Miller. Much more technical, twisty, and fun, IMO. Though I understand why. A single full course caution that lasted for a few laps and half your race would be gone. It's much easier to have local yellows when you just do the outer loop and formation/cool down laps are much quicker etc.

Also would people quit saying that MMP is in the "corner" of the country. It's 10-12+ hours to get to most of the West Coast tracks from here. Reminds me of when I tell people here I'm from Indiana originally and they respond, "Oh so you're from the East Coast?"

Interesting exchange of ideas going on.

If the track is "right" it draws drivers. Miller worked the first two years cause it WAS closer to the west coast, it was rather new and exciting and it was unlike anything we'd seen in the US at the time.

To Rob's note about Heartland Park, if you call not working pulling over 600 entries each of the 3 years, then yes, it didn't work. You are right, it didn't work but for about 1 million reasons besides entries. Its a great facility in the wrong location.

I'm a low budget driver these days but I'd make the effort, spend the $$ to attend Nationals at the right venue.

Watkins Glen? IN. Sears Point? IN. VIR? IN. Road Atlanta? IN. COTA? IN.

Can't wait for the announcement!

• 2 weeks later...

any of you Road America supporters want to address something?

In y'alls season planning thread why are some of you guys saying your region(s) has/have trouble getting people to go for a regional event?

So hear the two leading candidates are:

VIR or Road Atlanta for the 2014 nationals.

doesn't seem to be anywhere central of the US....see you guys in 2015!!!

Either would be great!!!

look on a map at MO and RA and tell me which one is further east

according to whom?

a NASA official...can't disclose whom

look on a map at MO and RA and tell me which one is further east

What's that matter?

according to whom?

a NASA official...can't disclose whom

And did this undisclosed official mention when they might announce something officially?

funny because I consider Road Atlanta in the Mid-Atlantic but not 'east coast'... go figure...

...Daytona and Roebling Road are what I'd consider 'east coast' though

funny because I consider Road Atlanta in the Mid-Atlantic but not 'east coast'... go figure...

RA is farther west than MO

Ken, You know in GTS it is not that simple.........

Doug, with all due respect I just don't get how it is NOT that simple..?

Are you going to switch to a different car depending on what track is chosen? That'd affect things and a couple month delay would suck yeah.

Barring that would you run a different class in GTS maybe - depending on where it is? Maybe that'd affect your offseason modifications and prep a little but a slight delay wouldn't be absolutely awful. Same effect if maybe you'd just run at a different whp and weight balance depending on what was chosen to similar effect.

Outside of that, I don't get how it makes a hill of beans difference when they annouce where it'll be so long as it's not excessively delayed into say next year before most regions start their season or whatnot.

Color me stupid I guess I am sure there has to be a good reason that they're waiting. I guess I'm patient enough to get that they must be working on something big and want all the details to be perfect before letting the cat out of the bag. That and I'm low budget enough that my car prep over the "winter" won't be affected by what sort of track Nationals would be on or be affected if I make a go/no-go decision based on how far it is from me...

RA is farther west than MO

....and I consider MidO to be more 'midwest' and certainly NOT east coast!

Color me stupid I guess I am sure there has to be a good reason that they're waiting. I guess I'm patient enough to get that they must be working on something big and want all the details to be perfect before letting the cat out of the bag. That and I'm low budget enough that my car prep over the "winter" won't be affected by what sort of track Nationals would be on or be affected if I make a go/no-go decision based on how far it is from me...

for us the location makes a huge difference.... if father from home, it won't even be on the radar... if closer to home, then the decision on which of our 2 cars to focus on developing to be competitive now that we have 2 totally new-to-us cars (and/or decide if it is even worth going with our even more limited resources now)

Does anyone really think that they've got it all figured out but are just making us sweat to be mean?

Seems immensely more plausible that they're still working out details...

How I view all of this Mid-O/RA stuff:

The distance directly to the literal East Coast (heading straight East) is about 500 miles from Mid-O and is less than 400 miles from RA. Therefore, on a map, RA may be further West but it is by far closer to the East Coast.