Tire Delamination

rtosborne

I had a tire on the drivers front delaminate (internally the belts separate from the tread) at Road Atlana this weekend. Tire was an RA1 on a 2000 Civic Si prepped to ITS/HC spec. Camber around -3.25

Has anyone else had a problem with tires doing this? What pressures are people running on RA1s? Mine may have been a little high at 42.

Thanks for the info.

Rory

To start what is the date code on the tire? Please post a pic please if you can.

This. Also number of heat cycles on the tire. I believe LF would see the most amount of abuse at RA, correct? 42psi when you came off track hot or starting cold? If that is "hot" pressure it was probably rolling around 44+ psi while actually out on track. Even still, this is also the first time I've read about an RA1 doing this. Not doubting or questioning, just curious because I run hand-me-down RA1s all the time.

I haven't ever run RA1's, but I had both of the front R6's on my Viper separate the main tread from the sidewall at RA (inside edge of passenger side and outside edge of driver's side). Neither one was worn all THAT bad, but you could see the separation and it was just a "squishy" area between the two pieces. They did have quite a few heat cycles on them though. Luckily, I noticed it after the run when I was back in the pits, and they didn't "let go" out on the track.

Curiously, this is the second tire I have had this happen with on this car. The other was an older Hankook when the car was still essentially stock.

Not sure how to post an image but what I think is the date code is 97V2207.

Sound right? What's the date of manufacture then?

I'm not exactly sure of heat cycles. These were take offs when SCCA changes SM tire. I believe they had only been used once in the wet before I got them. I've put no more than 10 short heat cycles on them.

Also, what are others running for front and rear pressures with RA1s?

Thanks.

How did you do that Ken?

Yeah, I agree with broken belt. I guess delamination was not really accurate.

I was afraid that was the date code. I was under the impression the tires were much newer since when I got them they had only one session on them. My guess is the person I got them from had been keeping them for wets/inters which is why they had so much tread. I have a set in my garage that I've had since new that are about that same age but have quit using because they are so old. Plus they have 28 heat cycles on them :}

Well, I guess that at least supplies a common theme. Both the tires that failed where pretty old. Over 5 years in both cases.

Guess I need to put tires in the budget for next year.

I'll second that. If I had realized they were that old they would not have been on the car. Sounds like they are autocross tires now!

Again, what pressures are folks running? Thanks

And Ken, I got images to show but got thumbnail size. Would you mind posting the actual tag you put so I can see what I did wrong. Thanks,

Yeah, gotta check the manufacture dates of takeoff/free tires. Heck, I might even need to buy some new tires

Unfortunately the event schedule and my lack of help at the track did not allow me to get any temps that would have been meaningful. I clearly needed a better starting point and I should have that now. I hope the next time at the track will allow gathering more empirical data.

Thanks for all the feedback. I hope this info will help some others avoid similar issues.