harness bar in HPDE

bruceg

Can I use a harness bar in a HPDE? I don't want to put in a roll bar and prefer not to just use seatbelts. If so can I use 4 point belts or do I need 6?

Can I use a harness bar in a HPDE? I don't want to put in a roll bar and prefer not to just use seatbelts. If so can I use 4 point belts or do I need 6?

It is highly recommended that you have some sort of rollover protection if you use harnesses but they are allowed. 5 or 6 point belts are preferred far above 4 point belts.

I would not ride in a car with only a harness bar and 4 point belt.

from section 11.3 of the NASA CCR:

The only four-point belt systems that are allowed for use in HPDE / TT are 1) those that carry an “FIA B-xxx.T/08 certification, or 2) those that carry a label from the belt manufacturer stating that the belts meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 209 AND that the belts were designated for the specific vehicle (e.g. “For use only in BMW E36 models”). Such label must be easily visible to the NASA inspector. Note- four-point belt sets that have a DOT-only certification are not allowed.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are going to use harnesses you must provide them for your instructor as well. Plus you must have seats that are intended to be used with a harness, must have passed through for the belts.

• 3 weeks later...

Been doing some reading and thinking on this, as well...

Are there any specific size requirements (tubing thickness and diameter) for harness bars like their is for bolt/weld-in cages...? Or preferred attachment points? I was considering one for my STI, which based on the design attaches to the upper seatbelt mounts on the B-pillars and either the lower seat belt mount on the B-piller or the innermost seat mounting bolts on the transmission tunnel. This would be used with properly-mounted 5-points.

This one attaches to the inner seat mount bolts: https://www.rallyinnovations.com/product_detail.php?prod_id=52

This one uses the lower B-pillar seat belt bolts: http://www.tegiwaimports.com/tegiwa-harness-bar-1085/