bpanther

2014 Schedule - Sneak Peak

bpanther

January 18-19 MSR Houston

February 15-16 Barber Motorsports Park (non points with MS, SE and NOLA regions)

March 8-9 MSR Cresson

April 25-27 Texas World Speedway

June 21-22 Hallett Motor Raceway

September 20-21 NOLA Motorsports Park

October 11-12 Texas World Speedway

November 1-2 Eagles Canyon Raceway

Fair

Thanks for the heads-up, Dave! The "sneak peak" of next year's schedule looks good, and I'm excited that a bunch of us might make it to Barber together. Let's go steal some trophies for Texas!

A few questions about the 2014 schedule:

1. Will all NASA racers be allowed to run at all of these NASA Texas events. As most of you know, a few of us have been banned from a certain track that is on the 2014 schedule twice, because of comments we made on this very forum.

2. Did the Grand Sport Speedway & Harris Hill Road "HPDE + TT Only" type of events for these smaller tracks get the ax? I understand that they just didn't get enough entrants to happen, correct?

3. When and where is NASA Nationals???? (please say COTA! please say COTA!)

As for the two "smaller" tracks I mentioned above, Harris Hill Road is a really fun 1.8 mile, 11 turn circuit (which is longer than the MSR-C 1.7 course) with big elevation changes, a nice clubhouse, and is right outside of Austin. It is a shame that we cannot get something going at Harris Hill, as this is a really fun course and is the home track for many in the Austin/San Marcos/San Antonio community.

track3.jpg

They've done W2W races there (Chump, etc) but I see an HPDE/TT event working well if we can get enough folks to enter. Parking might be too tight for a full blown NASA race weekend.

DSC_2582-S.jpg DSC_6635-S.jpg

Grand Sport Speedway another smaller track south of Houston. It is a bit narrow for W2W races but its a lot of fun at HPDEs and I've done one time trial there as well. The course flows well and the track surface is very smooth and completely flat.

grandsportair.jpg

They have improved their facilities a bit, from pictures I see on the website I linked above. It is pretty far south of Houston, which is one of the excuses we hear about some North Texas folks not going to MSR-H. But it is a neat track, and variety is always welcome.

DSC_9154-S.jpg DSC_9174-S.jpg

Just some thoughts. Keep up the good work!

kbrew8991

Sound limits are a concern at HHR, fine for a DE event. UnFair to schedule a points TT event. Bragging rights, sure

Grand Sport would be fine for a DE/TT event. It was a bit underattended last time it was done but those that went were handsomely rewarded with tons of track time.

I really hope that we can find a way to do the DE Instructor Clinic again like we did early this year at HHR. I know of a REALLY GOOD student ginuea pig candidate (*cough Laura cough*) with a 4-seat car for you guys to use.

and Free Terry and Trey!

edit - note for TTers. With this schedule/layout of TT points events, just 6 drops again. You'll still need to travel and compete some to win that season championship, no one track ponies!

Edited by Guest

bpanther

If there are specific dealings between tracks and our racers, then those dealings will need to be worked out between those parties.

We loved doing the GrandSport and HHR events (twice at HHR). Each time, we went in the red by about $10k (times 3), so it's hard to justify doing them even those that attended had fun (beeritas!!!) and tons of track time. I think both of those tracks rock, but we can't afford to go there if we don't get the support of our drivers.

Now, if we can get support for the events and hard commitments - then we can look at getting them back on the schedules.

I've been told that the National office is nailing out details with tracks that have submitted proposals for 2014 Nationals and that a decision will be made and an announcement should be ready by SEMA (Nov 5th). AFAIK, COTA did not submit a written proposal. Maybe 2015.

Fair
We loved doing the GrandSport and HHR events (twice at HHR). Each time, we went in the red by about $10k (times 3), so it's hard to justify doing them even those that attended had fun (beeritas!!!) and tons of track time. I think both of those tracks rock, but we can't afford to go there if we don't get the support of our drivers.

Ouch! With losses like that I'd be gun shy of going back, too. Sorry I missed out on those events in the past.

I've been told that the National office is nailing out details with tracks that have submitted proposals for 2014 Nationals and that a decision will be made and an announcement should be ready by SEMA (Nov 5th). AFAIK, COTA did not submit a written proposal. Maybe 2015.

i-wQP3W4r-M.jpg

If there are specific dealings between tracks and our racers, then those dealings will need to be worked out between those parties.

So the TWS fatwa from Joey Todd at the TWS Propaganda Division is going to be ignored, I see? I guess Trey and I are not going to go either NASA @ TWS event next year or beyond. At least we don't have to get our biannual Hep-C tests, which is a plus.

This is a notice to all NASA racers: if you post ANYTHING negative about TWS on this forum, like the bathrooms or weird track rules/fees/gate hours, expect to be banned from their track. Unless you call them Nazis, which is totally cool.

Cheers,

PoBoyR6
This is a notice to all NASA racers:[/b] if you post ANYTHING negative about TWS on this forum, like the bathrooms or weird track rules/fees/gate hours, expect to be banned from their track. Unless you call them Nazis, which is totally cool.

I guarantee a serenade like this at the gate will get the ban lifted. Just replace 'Kyle' with 'TWS'.

JohnJoe1011

I second Terry's motion to have a race at Harris Hill Road. Haven't been there yet but heard from my dentist, he races there and is a member, that is a fun course.

And about COTA yes let's host the NASA National there.

And last but not least, we have a race at TWS in Oct yes no A&M home game and is my birthday weekend.

John

330ci

Blue

bpanther
And last but not least, we have a race at TWS in Oct yes no A&M home game and is my birthday weekend.

Was that a question? Yes, unfortunately the Oct TWS event is an A&M home game.

Which means, jump on the rooms now if you think you plan to go!!! TWS has agreements with some of the hotels for lower rates on home weekends. You can cancel up to a couple weeks out, so grab 'em now. Not sure what the secret handshake/password is, but try telling them you are with Texas World Speedway.

Manor Inn

Courtyard Marriott

Hilton

JohnJoe1011

Was that a question? Yes, unfortunately the Oct TWS event is an A&M home game.

Which means, jump on the rooms now if you think you plan to go!!! TWS has agreements with some of the hotels for lower rates on home weekends. You can cancel up to a couple weeks out, so grab 'em now. Not sure what the secret handshake/password is, but try telling them you are with Texas World Speedway.

Manor Inn

Courtyard Marriott

Hilton

No it was not a question it was a compliment because I thought of NO A&M game. No worries about hotel, I am camping again for the weekend.

BTW I saw a Miata racer that set his own "hotel room" in his car. He went and bought a small window unit AC and put it on one of the door of his car then with a long extension cord he plug into the wall and had cold AC for the whole weekend. I was camping right next to him he told it cost him 120.00 one time expense vs a hotel room.

Anyway.....

John

330ci

Blue

suck fumes

Driving on Harris hill is like driving on a baja course! It's WAY to bumpy for any race to be held there.

kbrew8991

Get better shocks. Drove it this past Feb, drove smoother than ECR and we race there. My concerns are sound, limited corner stations, and track width.

PoBoyR6
Get better shocks. Drove it this past Feb, drove smoother than ECR and we race there. My concerns are sound, limited corner stations, and track width.

^This^. Are there any tracks in Texas that don't drive like a baja course other than COTA? Anyone see the Houston Grand Prix? We can't even make our parking lots smooth.

shuko

BTW I saw a Miata racer that set his own "hotel room" in his car. He went and bought a small window unit AC and put it on one of the door of his car then with a long extension cord he plug into the wall and had cold AC for the whole weekend. I was camping right next to him he told it cost him 120.00 one time expense vs a hotel room.

Anyway.....

John

330ci

Blue

That was me! I love camping at the track, but too hot for a tent. Some people still tented it though and seemed to get along fine. You can put one up above the old pit spectator areas so you have covered, elevated space to sleep on.

Double O 86
My concerns are sound, limited corner stations, and track width.

Does HHR offer gasoline yet? The last time I was there, it was necessary to drive to the nearest gas station to refill.

Driv200
Driving on Harris hill is like driving on a baja course! It's WAY to bumpy for any race to be held there.

You are banned from Harris Hill. Haaaa!!

jvetthead

You are banned from Harris Hill. Haaaa!!

Least he didnt catch the place on fire...

hustler

I support an HHR TT event, but understand the concerns.

kbrew8991

I'd start holding my breath once F1 leaves sucking the massive over hype out of the place, letting it deflate to just a normal and deserved level of hype

J_Roberts

I have it on semi-good authority that the other Club Racing/HPDE organizations are having trouble getting back in there as well.

kbrew8991

rumor has it that SCCA paid $Z last year for their 3 day weekend, and COTA wanted $Z x 2 (double) this year... so the SW Majors will be at TWS instead

JohnJoe1011
rumor has it that SCCA paid $Z last year for their 3 day weekend, and COTA wanted $Z x 2 (double) this year... so the SW Majors will be at TWS instead

I worked that event all 3 days. I was told the entry fee for the weekend was around $600+ dollars. Plus whatever it breaks by a car on the surface, walls, tire guard etc. If COTA wanted $Z x 2 this year i don't think a lot of drivers want to pay $1200. to race there. Anyway...

NASA holding an event at Road Atlanta and Barber been to those two tracks. My favorite one is RA was my home track.

John

330ci Blue.

kbrew8991

paying for your own track damage is typical of all tracks - it's just that the stuff here in TX by and large doesn't have anything to hit besides the odd tirewall here and there those are hard to actually damage so people around here may have never heard of it / seen it happen before.

I'm glad I got to drive it last year, seems like they're tightening up and not letting many / any in for the near future. And that's sad. but more money for Barber in Feb and Nationals at RAtl instead yay!