bpanther

2014 Schedule - Sneak Peak

bpanther
paying for your own track damage is typical of all tracks - it's just that the stuff here in TX by and large doesn't have anything to hit besides the odd tirewall here and there those are hard to actually damage so people around here may have never heard of it / seen it happen before.

True!!!!! Re-stacking a tire wall is pretty cheap and natural grass grows back real cheap in TX.

NASA ends up paying for the oil dry and fire bottles when y'all mess up the track or try to burn it down, but we haven't passed the cost on to a single person (yet ).

I've had drivers in RM pony up $$$ to replace a section of guard rail that they have taken out. But it's been less than $1k.

kbrew8991

When is NOLA going to confirm their May crossover date with us? Please tell us its in the May 17-18 or 24-25 sorta timeframe

bpanther
When is NOLA going to confirm their May crossover date with us? Please tell us its in the May 17-18 or 24-25 sorta timeframe

No May NASA event at NOLA after all. Looking at April 4-5 (I am at PPIR that weekend and would prefer to not miss another one ) or June 28-29 (but I am probably at Miller and this is the weekend after Hallett ), Sept 20-21 (Dammit - I am at Pueblo!!! ), or Nov 15-16 (ffffeeew - finally a weekend where I don't have a RM event as well ).

But Nov 15-16 is only 2 weeks after ECR. So maybe Nov 15-16 or y'all can go with out me .

kbrew8991

dang, I like going there (NOLA) but with that being their schedule yeah that's rough. If there are only 6 Texas points events that's on the light side as well

TTers, we use the "best 2 out of 3" sorta formula but round up to the next higher weekend's worth of drops

10 days - 4 drops (may get trimmed to 3 if we ever have that light a season)

12 days - 4 drops

14 days - 6 drops

16 days - 6 drops

18 days - 6 drops

20 days - 8 drops

etc on both ends, though if we got down to only 8-10 days worth of points events that rounding may get revisited, and any lighter than 8 and there may be few if any drops.

That system seems to strike the best balance between making sure the one track poines have to travel a little and test the waters they may not be quite as strong in VERSUS only the officials and hardcore people will be champs because they make all the events and may not ever really win but just score a ton of points by going to all events and win solely by attrition (ie the season champ being a participation award, versus being fast).

Any change of a GSS, HHR, or other track event around that timeframe in May as a fill-in instead? A second MSRH, EC, or MSRC event even? A third TWS event might make some people's head explode, and we'd have to figure out a 3rd track config to run but I personally wouldn't be upset with that either.

Sept 20-21 would be my vote if we do end up going with NOLA and those are their only date choices, followed by April 4-5 (tight window in the schedule being the only extra downside). The Sept event is a decent amt of recovery time after East Nats at end of August, and the weather outta start getting cooler by then. I'll do an extra round of go-karts in your honor/absense...??

J_Roberts
or June 28-29 (but I am probably at Miller and this is the weekend after Hallett

...and it is going to be pretty hot and humid at NOLA that time of year, so please not then. And, the weekend after Hallett is rough. Might as well skip going home and go straight to NOLA!

Fair
TTers, we use the "best 2 out of 3" sorta formula but round up to the next higher weekend's worth of drops

10 days - 4 drops (may get trimmed to 3 if we ever have that light a season)

12 days - 4 drops

14 days - 6 drops

16 days - 6 drops

18 days - 6 drops

20 days - 8 drops

etc on both ends, though if we got down to only 8-10 days worth of points events that rounding may get revisited, and any lighter than 8 and there may be few if any drops.

Some of us already have "4 drops" in the 2014 schedule... now no NOLA points event??? That was my favorite venue and race weekend in 2013, by far. May is an ideal time, too!

sigbetterjjpg_DSC4816%20copy-M.jpg

NOLA is an amazing facility that should not be missed!

Any change of a GSS, HHR, or other track event around that timeframe in May as a fill-in instead? A second MSRH, EC, or MSRC event even? A third TWS event might make some people's head explode, and we'd have to figure out a 3rd track config to run but I personally wouldn't be upset with that either.

No. Absolutely NOT a third freagin event in the same year at TWS!

Seriously.... no.

Sept 20-21 would be my vote if we do end up going with NOLA and those are their only date choices, followed by April 4-5 (tight window in the schedule being the only extra downside). The Sept event is a decent amt of recovery time after East Nats at end of August, and the weather outta start getting cooler by then. I'll do an extra round of go-karts in your honor/absence...??

I'm down for that Sept 20-21 date... should be cooling off down there by then and maybe without Jazzfest the same weekend we might can get rooms.

So.... possible 2014 schedule looks like?

January 18-19 MSR Houston

February 15-16 Barber Motorsports Park (non points with MS, SE and NOLA regions)

March 8-9 MSR Cresson

April 25-27 Texas World Speedway

June 21-22 Hallett Motor Raceway

August 29-31 NASA Eastern States Championship at Road Atlanta

Sept 20-21 NOLA Motorsports Park - possible cross-region Texas points event???

October 11-12 Texas World Speedway

November 1-2 Eagles Canyon Raceway

November 7-9 NASA Western States Championship at Sonoma Raceway

Taking out the two TWS (banned!) events and Sonoma (25 hour tow from Dallas!) that leaves 7 NASA events Amy and I would make. Maybe for those of us wanting to learn Road Atlanta before Nationals, we could go to one of their regional events in the big open May timeframe? Do they have their schedule up yet?

Thanks,

kbrew8991

SE's fairly certain schedule it seems:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=107858

Just Road Atlanta stuff:

Mar 14-16, Road Atlanta (back to back weekends with MSRC)

Jun 13-15, Road Atlanta (weekend before Hallett)

Aug 1-3, Road Africa (looks like best option except holy effin hot batman)

Aug 28-31, Road Atlanta (uhh, this is East Nats)

Dec 5-7, Road Atlanta (would be fun but too late for EN practice)

Road Atlanta was the first track I ever drove on, did TT on, did my race school on, first races there, first standing start, first... if you can handle little ol' high speed truly blind corners you'll pick it up super quick. Oh and don't make anything more than a slight mistake or the concrete monster may grab you. Other than that easy track to learn... hah!

Amy isn't banned and y'all are doing the Team thing, no? I fully understand sitting out on principle though. Really do. 6 drops on 12 days is half the season though. You could be strong early in the season and lock out the championship by April with the current schedule if we do 6 drops instead of 4. There's a balance to be struck like I had said in that earlier post - 2/3rds with a little rounding makes you travel a little and be well rounded without going too far and automatically bouncing anyone who gets themselves banned from a certian track, or has a wedding to go to on one weekend, or has a car issue at the wrong time, or whatever all else can go wrong in a season - ie life happens.

Happy to hear pros and cons we may not have considered...?

I personally like the Sept NOLA as the crossover as well, really REALLY hope that's the choice out of what I've seen thus far. I'll miss Dave, but maybe he can wrangle Will Faules or someone else cool & good like that to help the NOLA folks handle the extra load of TX people? I also really like that it makes striking the balance of counted events and dropped events easier and makes all you TT folk happier as a result of course - 14 days and 6 drops has been sweet these past few seasons for sure.

bpanther

NOLA. September 20-12 it is.

kbrew8991

#happydance

lock it in!

Bold = TX points

January 18-19 MSR Houston

February 15-16 Barber Motorsports Park (MS, SE and NOLA regions)

March 8-9 MSR Cresson

April 25-27 Texas World Speedway

June 21-22 Hallett Motor Raceway

Aug 1-3, Road Africa Nationals Practice

August 29-31 NASA Eastern States Championship at Road Atlanta

Sept 20-21 NOLA Motorsports Park (crossover w MS & NOLA)

October 11-12 Texas World Speedway

November 1-2 Eagles Canyon Raceway

November 7-9 NASA Western States Championship at Sonoma Raceway

7 points events, 14 days, 6 drops for TT (your series may vary on drops)

Now where's that PT director so I can bend his ear about PT race drops...

Dysenpham

It would makes sense from a weather point of view to flip flop National venues due to the fact that Rd Atl is very hot in August and Sonoma is constant year round. I'm torn between running a Hoosier R6 or A6 at Rd Atl for August. I think an R6 gives more laps to put down a fast lap while an A6 in August would only leave a window to put down a flyer on your first hot lap. Anything after that would be slower than R6 times.

Now if we r talking about A6s in November at Rd Atl, they are magic!

kbrew8991

Scheduling is tough, especially tough at a highly in-demand track like RAtl, but really just plain tough no matter what track. It can be very take it or leave it at times.

PoBoyR6

I'm in for East Nats at Road Atlanta this year. What will be the minimum # of points scoring events be to qualify? Same as the single nats format i.e. 5 separate points scoring events? If so I may have to make my first trip up to MSRC assuming I'm in for MSRH and TWS in April.

Dysen - I'm totally with you on wishing Road Atlanta was scheduled at a cooler time of year...but the good news is it seems the surface/layout of the track is very easy on tires so A6s should still be your best bet. I would think with your S2K you could get 3 good laps in per session. I'm hoping for 2 laps in my car. I'm planning on bringing 3 sets of stickers (1 set per day) though just in case.

Dysenpham

Allan- yes you are correct on the surface at Rd Atl. There are sections that have a ton of grip but that could've been because the drifters were putting a bunch of rubber down that weekend. It is an easy track to pick up once you figure out all the blind stuff. I recall that every elevation change whether up or down is blind though. The back straight is super long giving A6s a chance to cool down, so yeah I think As would still be the TT tire of choice even in August there.

See ya at the track in 2014.

kbrew8991
I'm in for East Nats at Road Atlanta this year. What will be the minimum # of points scoring events be to qualify? Same as the single nats format i.e. 5 separate points scoring events? If so I may have to make my first trip up to MSRC assuming I'm in for MSRH and TWS in April.

Considering the date is only a week or two different than when there was just a single nationals I would suspect the requirements won't change, so 5 TT days needed for TT before end of August when Nationals starts. You can register before you have all 5 in fwiw, racers or TTers.

Racers, esp TX racers with all the extra ones we get, have it a little easier as they can use races and TT days to get to that 5 number. I personally expect to be qualified for racing by Sunday afternoon at MSR-H... (3 races + 2 TT days = 5). TT Nats will take a little more as only TT days count... Sat at TWS 1 for that.

Edited by Guest