Sign in to follow this  
Calif_Kid

Laguna Seca sound limit

Calif_Kid

With a lot of the Laguna Seca track days now having a noise level limit of 90dB instead of 92dB, I was just wondering if maybe they could build a sound wall (like is used on freeways) if the sound is really an issue only on a small section of the track. 92dB is hard enough, and it would be great if Laguna had the same limits as Infineon and Thunderhill. - Jim

bornrich

For a sound wall to work at all it has to be close to the traffic (relatively) and having a solid wall that close to the track would be an impact issue. Even it they were feasible, the sound would just be reflected to folks further away. There are not easy answers.

I, myself, just don't understand how people can move close to a track then complain about the noise. Hell, if I could I would move a house right next to the track so I could watch from my patio.

Calif_Kid

I called someone in Administration at Laguna, and he said that with it being a state park, that any changes would have to get by a few committees, so would be difficult. He also said that the sound can travel a long ways depending on the weather/overcast conditions, and that sometimes, he could hear the track from his house 7 miles away. He also mentioned the asthetics of a sound wall along with the price.

Maybe we could put a 'dome of silence' over the track. Just kidding... Seriously though, with all of the sound cancelling technology that they have even for the inside of cars (where I believe you just have a sound out of phase with the sound you're trying to cancel), it is just a shame that something couldn't be figured out with some type of sound cancelling wall or maybe even a sound cancelling exhaust tip, but the tip would have to be light and small plus would have to be effective at different engine speeds. - Jim

sfteague

FYI, it looks like our Laguna Seca day next year will be 105db, but note that it also looks like it will be race groups and TT only:

http://nasanorcal.com/index.php?/site/section_news/

"July 26-27 Laguna Seca Raceway 105db Race weekend only Crossover with SoCal"