DISCUSSION CLOSED: Require a solid throttle cable

JSG1901

It sounds like 2 topics here. #1 guys with TBW, DBW systems are somehow cheating by creating more HP/TQ than the dyno sheet during the race. Yes that's cheating but the cable isn't going to prevent those individuals from doing that, it just makes it harder.

#2 The idea that TBW/DBW throttle manipulation enables guys to create perfectly flat HP/TQ curves. If that's the issue then this proposed rule goes way beyond the cable solution. What about turbo cars or cars with variable cam timing, are we going to ban those things too? Those systems as well, when tuned, can create more TQ/HP vice versa in whatever RPM range you're in.

What will end up happening here is anyone with a newer motor and just running a stock computer have to now add a cable system and get a custom tune or worse run some kind of aftermarket system. Personally I think this kind of activity is counter productive.

Cars/motors after 2001 are TBW including all the Cup cars that are now running in GTS. Forcing guys to try and convert or spend the extra money to convert and then have to completely re-tune their cars is counter productive to our series. Also the S54 running on a stock ECU cannot be properly restricted by just using something to restrict air intake that's not how Siemens MSS54 ECU works.

-Scott B.

Scott,

Not attempting to disagree with you, but all of the Porsche cups are still drive by cable. My 2001 911 turbo street car is electric throttle, but when they did the cups, they did them with all cables. Not sure why.

That said, I disagree with this rule.

If you are looking for this rule to make things fair because your throttle cable can not use an electronic means to be wot at lower rpm and only partial throttle at the high rpm that you need to take some out, then bummer for you. Buy a different car. Same argument I would have for someone wanting to put a restriction on something like ABS. You picked the car you race, not me.

If you are looking for this rule because it is too easy to cheat, then I would say that there are a million ways to cheat if that is how you want to win. Cant chase them all or catch them all. Best thing you can do is just hope the other fellow is pure and if not, then hopefully the rules will catch him.

Thanks

Ed

Maybe we should just ban EFI? I think there's a lot of misinformation in this thread/proposal about what is actually be used to detune some cars.

for any GTS racers that don't like these rule if it passes/too expensive, come race in PT, we would love to have you and we don't have a rule like this.

ps. fwiw, rule sounds like expensive change for many people, any expensive rule change is generally a bad idea.