DISCUSSION CLOSED: Allow engines from other manufacturers

JSG1901

Against.

I do however like the "any german engine in any german car".

Agreed. This is logical to me.

Honda Challenge 2 allows basically any combo Honda/Acura engine in any Honda/Acura with restrictions on what can be done to the engine as well as a minimum weight the car must make due to that engine combo.

This is along the lines of what I'm thinking - but IMO should restricted to VW/Audi/Porsche.

I don't like mixing those in with BMW / Mercedes engines.

I don't think allowing Chevy engines would be a good thing. The whole Idea of the class was to promote tuning and tinkering with German cars and of course racing them too see who is best at doing so. Anyone can buy or build a Chevy engine and stuff it into whatever. there are other classes for that.

Are swaps between different VAG marques limited to the engines that were available in those marques already?

So, I guess a 3.0V6 TDI from an Audi or VW would be legal in a Boxster, since you can get a Cayenne with one, but you couldn't use a 2.0T from an Audi or VW, since it was not delivered in any stock Porsche yet.

I would really like to build a Boxster with a 3.0TDI V6, or even a 4.0 TDI V8 but with the torque+HP/2 rule, there is no way a diesel could even come close to being competitive. The 240Hp 3.0 TDI would carry the same minimum weight as a 323HP gas engine. Even without the penalty for Ft-lbs, the diesel would have a hard time matching up with a gas engine of equal HP, since the diesel's powerband is narrower, as well as being lower in the RPM range.

Are swaps between different VAG marques limited to the engines that were available in those marques already?

So, I guess a 3.0V6 TDI from an Audi or VW would be legal in a Boxster, since you can get a Cayenne with one, but you couldn't use a 2.0T from an Audi or VW, since it was not delivered in any stock Porsche yet.

The way I understand it, it's currently limited. A similar example is - you can use a 3.2l VR6 in an Audi A4 because it was offered in the Audi TT 3.2L, but could you use the 2.8l VR6 (like the 034Motorsport car?) Technically not because that engine never came in an Audi, only VW. This should be more open!

I vote for. It's still HP/Torque and Weight, right? There is nothing to be afraid of but saving money. Sounds like a fun development project.

I'd much rather see a 944 racing against other 944s.

Let's face it new, German Touring Cars are getting expensive. If we allow diff engines (from any manuf) in German cars -- specifically the 944 -- we extend the life of the, now inexpensive 944 chassis. Otherwise, the 944 chassis soon dies.

Racing Porsches and BMWs is expensive and becoming more expensive. If we can find a way to save a few bucks by running American or Japanese or Chinese or Swedish iron under the hood, let's do it.

wj

p.s.

Full disclosure. I own a 944 or two.

I do however like the "any german engine in any german car".

german chassis + german engine = GTS race car

german chassis + *original* other nationality engine = GTS race car (any engine change should be of a german manufacturer)

german chassis + other motor = TT race car