DISCUSSION CLOSED: Change 3/4 width to 1 car plus 6"

JSG1901

100% Against.

It makes the leading car responsible for whatever the person that is trying to pass does. It is your responsibility as a passing car to pass cleanly when there is space. Great now when someone tries to pass me with no room, I now have to "create" room for them or I get penalized.

This lets you cornerdive me with technically not enough room, but then I have to move over to give you width to do it. If you cornerdive me and then end up with not enough room, that's the way it goes. I have never seen someone "push" someone off track except in one video (not even gts). This is a case of 1% "issue" trying to be solved when it will create a 50% problem.

Actually, this is not true. According to the NASA CCR (I'm paraphrasing here, because I'm too lazy to look it up), the overtaking car has no right to any of the track until its front tires are alongside the driver of the car being overtaken. Once that has happened, then he has the right to at least 3/4 of a car width of track. There is absolutely no requirement that the car being overtaken give the overtaking car ANY track room prior to the overtaking car getting sufficiently alongside.

I feel like I am being interpreted by the media, completely missed not only my point, but also incorrectly interpreted what I said. We all know the NASA CCR (or should).

You can be correct and be to the code of CCR and upside down.....

Well then what ARE you trying to say? The words on my screen seem to indicate you're afraid of being dive bomb passed? That can happen no matter what the CCRs say... 3/4ths or 4/4ths car width won't change it. The big plus in going to 4/4ths is that the passee can't force the passer off the track legally. Nothing in that has a darn thing to do with late passes where the passer doesn't establish enough overlap and thus a right to space alongside the passee. This *only* kicks in when someone legitimately establishes position.

It's probably *exactly* how you drive now actually. It's probably *exactly* how most NASA racers drive right now. I like it from the standpoint that it codifies and sets everyone to a good safe club level standard of driving, rather than their being two tiers currently - the guys that race hard but clean and never force anyone off even if they legally could, and the guys that stretch every letter of the rule to have an advantage over the nice guys.

If you want to stop this cornerdriving stuff (is that even a word? even as a concept it still makes little sense to me) you're worried about you would be better off clearing up and/or making changes as to how much overlap the passer needs and at what point they must establish that overlap to be granted rights to space to work with.

Something to remember; if this rule change were to be implemented, it only applies to cars in GTS.

I have found that less than 50% of the time is the contact is between two GTS cars.

I have found that less than 50% of the time is the contact is between two GTS cars.

So when Brian Fantana said that 60% of the time Sex Panther works every time, he really was wrong?

Let's play nice

Let's not argue the semantics of the CCR verbage. Most of the shagrins probably should be directed toward the CCR and not the suggested addendum for GTS.

I don't see anything wrong with GTS requiring us to give more racing room in this specific case as I don't think it will take away our ability to race or make passes. There are a lot of guys in BMWCCA and PCA that still don't run in GTS and maybe having rules like this will help folks participate.

The only reason I even commented on this one was it's a change I would like to see get rolled out to all of NASA, but it's going to be tested in GTS first apparently. Thus, I'd love for you guys to get it right so it IS seen as a positive change and thus DOES get rolled out to all racers.

Only went to the CCR stuff because it seems this change is being misunderstood as to what it'll actually affect.

The only reason I even commented on this one was it's a change I would like to see get rolled out to all of NASA, but it's going to be tested in GTS first apparently. Thus, I'd love for you guys to get it right so it IS seen as a positive change and thus DOES get rolled out to all racers.

I'm not W2W racing in Nasa yet - just running TT, but I was wondering how this would work in Norcal as GTS often runs with quite a few other series - like this next weekend, the group will include Legends, Thunder Roadsters, PT, ST, SU, GTS, and HC. - Jim

I'm not W2W racing in Nasa yet - just running TT, but I was wondering how this would work in Norcal as GTS often runs with quite a few other series - like this next weekend, the group will include Legends, Thunder Roadsters, PT, ST, SU, GTS, and HC. - Jim
Something to remember; if this rule change were to be implemented, it only applies to cars in GTS.

So in a run group like I mentioned, if one BMW was in PT, but another was in GTS, you would have to give the one in PT a 3/4 width if they were passing you, but would have to give the GTS one 1 car width? Seems like it could cause a little confusion. - Jim

So in a run group like I mentioned, if one BMW was in PT, but another was in GTS, you would have to give the one in PT a 3/4 width if they were passing you, but would have to give the GTS one 1 car width? Seems like it could cause a little confusion. - Jim

Well while this seems confusing the reality is that both rules are enforced the same.

The 3/4 rule was predicated on the curbing be considered "dirt" and not track. So you NEVER had the right to force someone with two into the DIRT dirt. This is part of the problem with that rule. It has led people to believe that we allow cars to legally push other cars off the racing surface. This is simply not the case. It also clarifies the situations a bit that we have seen where cars did this on straightaways. (Think the Miata's and SpecE30 videos that came out recently highlighting this problem).

So the intent of the 1+6 rule is simply this. You must leave enough room for the other car when they have the right to be there. It does not preclude your right to take a defensive line or anything like that, but once the car has (see above in CCR) earned the right to hold their line, you cannot push them off course using the 3/4 rule misinterpreted. So it is not really a change, just a better definition of the intent.

(Unless, of course, you believe that NASA crafted the rule to mean that you could force cars off the racing surface!)

If another car is passing you, by very definition you have had to have given them at least 1 car width plus a few inches because two objects still cannot occupy the same space at the same time, though I've seen cars and some high-school couples try.

For further clarification of the 3/4 rule.

Against the proposed change. The 3/4 rule needs clarification. The proposed change does nothing the clarify the existing rule, just continues along the same path.