996 Cup modification

Surfbum

Any discussion on eliminating the adjustment factor on the Porsche 996 cups?

Quite frankly they are not competitive with the 997 cups in ST1 (being down 50hp and non sequential shifters).

A lot of guys starting to put in restrictors to class down to GTS4, seems like same could be done to get to ST2.

Unfortunately not one car in GTS4 in AZ, otherwise I would race in that class

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, couldn't find it anywhere.

I brought this up to the Super Touring National director.

The car development is so high today there is little to no advantage for the penalized factory race cars. There is nothing you couldn't add to a street 996/GT3 to arrive at the same point and avoid the -.4 adjustment.

We have seen a bunch of 6Cups come into the US this year and dragging them into ST would be great.

The car development is so high today there is little to no advantage for the penalized factory race cars. There is nothing you couldn't add to a street 996/GT3 to arrive at the same point and avoid the -.4 adjustment.

We have seen a bunch of 6Cups come into the US this year and dragging them into ST would be great.

I agree.

The top 3 ST2 times at Nationals were almost as fast as Peter Spencer's GTS5 times, and Peter is a very good driver who knows that track and they were all faster than the GTS4 Porsche's.

• 1 month later...

Chris Streit podium'd a street GT3 in ST2 at Mid Ohio in 2012. I don't think you could make a 6-cup competitive with the -.4 penalty but lose that and the class would blossom. Important to remember that starting this year NASA lowered the multiplier for ST2 to 8.0 from 8.7 which should also help with the high whp cup cars....

The top 3 ST2 times at Nationals were almost as fast as Peter Spencer's GTS5 times, and Peter is a very good driver who knows that track and they were all faster than the GTS4 Porsche's.

Would love to have seen what Bill Brinkhoff might have done in the Championship race if he hadn't lost his brakes on the first lap. He's a great driver....

• 3 weeks later...
  • National Staff

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=115238

• 9 months later...

Chris Streit podium'd a street GT3 in ST2 at Mid Ohio in 2012.....

Was browsing the forum and noticed this mention of car and classing and thought it was worthwhile to clarify. His car is not a street GT3 and it was not run in ST2 at 2012 MidOhio Nationals. It's a 996 GT3 Cup detuned with intake restrictor and ballast to run radial slicks in GTS4. Always has been.