What car to go with

Lucid Moments

Lucid Moments

Trying to make up my mind here. For those that don't know I wrecked my Honda at Road Atlanta in September. It is not repairable. My first instinct was to build or buy another Honda. They are what I know, and have parts for, it just makes a certain sense. But I have been thinking about that and I am not sure that is what I should do.

I need to keep consumables costs low. I can't afford tires and brakes and gas for any of the big power cars. I am also not looking for a chronic project car. I don't want to have to work on it all that much. I don't mind doing maintenance, and I don't mind tweaking the set up, but I don't want to have to spend a lot of time fixing it. Also keep in mind that I am working and driving every weekend. Gets me more track time that I could get any other way but it means the car gets unloaded, driven, then loaded. It gets ignored most of the rest of the time. I just don't have much time to fool with it during the weekend. All of these things were things that I loved about my Honda. And they are reasons I am still considering another one. Unfortunately it was a class of one car. If I want to run Honda Challenge I have to go up to H2 or H1 and that will loose me some of what I am looking for in low cost and low maintenance, and even there the fields are small.

I have been thinking about a Thunder Roadster, They are a growing group and seem like they are having a bunch of fun. But I don't want to rule anything out.

Any ideas, or thoughts are welcome.

Lucid Moments
I'd think a Miata would fit all your criteria.

True and I have considered one, but what class would it race in? I don't see many spec Miatas out there much any more. And lets be honest. I am not a small guy, will I fit in one?

Firebird Man

True and I have considered one, but what class would it race in? I don't see many spec Miatas out there much any more. And lets be honest. I am not a small guy, will I fit in one?

In? Probably, out in 10 seconds?

Cheapest track cars from scratch I can think of are a Fox body, 3rd Gen F's and 944's, but maintenence and consumables would be higher.

A car like this could run in V3 or V4 in Vintage, asking price is a tad high, but that's "asking"

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4085284495.html

I have been thinking about a Thunder Roadster, They are a growing group and seem like they are having a bunch of fun. But I don't want to rule anything out.

Mikey

For the money a roadster is the least expensive, has the lowest cost consumables and absolutely the most fun to race of anything out there, BUT it is now super competitive. If you are scared of getting beat, stay with the Honda boys.

I just crashed my 350Z and am starting to consider a dedicated track car. No wheel-to-wheel planned at this time but even for a track day car a TR looks like a cheap date.

Do you guys know any tracks or organizations that rent them for track days. Would love to try one out.

• Members

Randy and Darrel are always letting folks try a TR on track to see if they want one. They have a few extras for sale and look for more cars all the time.

When it comes to cheap consumables:

Honda

Thunder Roadster

Miata

SpecE30

CMC

I know of a decent E30 convertible that is almost the 2013 GTSU champion that you could have for a low price with lots of spares

-Jim

http://www.wildhorsesracing.com/

Just Me Racing

In? Probably, out in 10 seconds?

Cheapest track cars from scratch I can think of are a Fox body, 3rd Gen F's and 944's, but maintenence and consumables would be higher.

A car like this could run in V3 or V4 in Vintage, asking price is a tad high, but that's "asking"

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4085284495.html

Luke. Join the dark side.

Seriously the 944 is a real fun car. Cheap. Fast. And you get to hang out at "THE CHICKEN SHACK"

Lucid Moments
That Integra roller is still available $500

And it is still a consideration. I just have to decide what I want to do first.

When it comes to cheap consumables:

Honda

Thunder Roadster

Miata

SpecE30

CMC

-Jim

Fwiw, I sold my racecar about a year ago. I've been sampling as much as I can, both in different cars and in different series and organizations as well as race lengths.

If I had to buy today - for NASA - I'd consider much of the above on my list. My criteria is light, N/A engine, extremely low maintenance and good crossover to the Endurance classing.

It will differ from region to region as to what is more popular because nobody wants to race alone! For ex, HC and TR turnout is extremely low in my area so not a consideration. PTE is def growing and SM is always huge; so a Miata is a good option. GTS2/3 are also huge and e36's and 944's are abundant. e30 is hit or miss; but I'd def consider if there's a contingent. CMC is the heaviest of the bunch if that matters; but those V8's are slow and steady!

100% agree with you that it depends on what others are running in your region. If there hadn't been so many TR's in the SE creating a great (and very competitive) series, I wouldn't have gotten one. In the SE though, you can't beat them for fun/$.

Come join the TR's!!!

I've driven an H5 car & a turbo Miata in TT. By far, the TR has been the most fun.

(You'll also be one more driver in the TR field I'll be ahead of... )

• Members

Gotta plug spec e30 here. Tires are $177 and last awhile. They are tanks and with the new HP rules the field should get tighter but there is plenty of racing already. In SE there are 18-22 cars at each event. The racing is fantastic. If you move to Texas get a miata and some extra fenders.

Lucid Moments
Come join the TR's!!!

I've driven an H5 car & a turbo Miata in TT. By far, the TR has been the most fun.

(You'll also be one more driver in the TR field I'll be ahead of... )

You mean one more car for you to be behind.

Lucid Moments
Gotta plug spec e30 here. Tires are $177 and last awhile. They are tanks and with the new HP rules the field should get tighter but there is plenty of racing already. In SE there are 18-22 cars at each event. The racing is fantastic. If you move to Texas get a miata and some extra fenders.

E30 is definitely a consideration. I am worried about how much of a project car I would have on my hands. If you build one right how much work are they in between events?

• Members

Building it right is more a question of age of parts with e30s. Wheel bearings, bushings, calipers, gaskets, hoses etc. are the things that fail most and if you spend the time (and $ although parts are not bad) on the front end you will bleed the brakes between events and that's about it. 90% of the work i do is replacing old parts.

• Members

Another note: if you find an e30 and see if they will let u dyno it and do a leakdown test you will learn alot. An untouched engine with good test numbers and 140+ HP is a keeper and a mid pack fun machine.

Building it right is more a question of age of parts with e30s. Wheel bearings, bushings, calipers, gaskets, hoses etc. are the things that fail most and if you spend the time (and $ although parts are not bad) on the front end you will bleed the brakes between events and that's about it. 90% of the work i do is replacing old parts.

I agree. I pretty much check my brake pads and bleed my brakes between weekends. Normally bleeding the brakes isn't really needed, but I have to do something to make it sound like I am prepping for the weekend. I spent the money when I built the car and replaced just about everything that could need replacing.

PTE is a growing class and allows for a lot of variety (Miatas, Hondas, etc) and easy crossover to TTE for contingency

PTE is growing? SWEET!!!!

• Members
E30 is definitely a consideration. I am worried about how much of a project car I would have on my hands. If you build one right how much work are they in between events?

All racecars need the standard oil change, check pads, bleed brakes, check tires, etc. - most of the ones I listed above can go for a few events before you have to do more than an oil change between events.

Another up and coming series is Spec3 - you can find a cheap E36 and be the leader in the new series