Corvette Dream Car Thread

Greg G.

If there is no advantage to tube frame cars then why don’t all of the ST cars just run STR and do what some have been saying all along about combining groups?

This is exactly what did happen in Socal last year with STR2, as all the 7's Only cars were running in STR and it created enough numbers for contingencies. The 7's Only guys were not happy about it though as they thought the ST2 cars were faster.

From what I can tell most regions that I have looked at have participation in the low single digits for any given ST class - Bill, you know better than anyone, you end up running with SU most of the time in Norcal to get some real racing in and have a chance at some prizes instead of driving around the track on your own in ST2. Why not let the tube cars into the class and deal with modifying them if and when they actually show up and kill us all? It's not like the classes are thriving to the extent that some delicate balance will be disrupted by these 'class killers' coming in and runing all the fun. Participation is the problem right now, not rules inequality.

SCCA GT2 has shown that with the right modifiers tube and tub cars can co-exist and grow the class. GT2 was not doing well until they allowed the Porsche Cup cars initially, and now the old STO cars.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ILIKETODRIVE

• mhoward1

• Varkwso

• Cobra4B

It seems the majority of the responses here are to consolidate STR into ST. So give them a tube frame mod factor and see what happens.

Worst case scenario for NASA, they lose the 10 or so STR cars that competed this year. Best case, all the STR current competitors welcome the change and run in ST, and gain additional entries from TA, 7's only, Factory Fiver Roadsters and anything else with welded together frame.

Worst case scenario for us drivers, Tucker shows up and wipes the floor with us in a custom $150,000 tube frame car. Guess what? He can do that now in a custom $150,000 production car. Best case scenario, we start getting regional races with more than 5 cars taking the green flag.

Something needs to be done for the regional racing car counts.

Also agree with all the other comments regarding mixing in GTS and AI/X. Always struck me as bizarre to have these separated classes running very similar lap times on track together.

Also agree with all the other comments regarding mixing in GTS and AI/X. Always struck me as bizarre to have these separated classes running very similar lap times on track together.

Birds of a feather flock together. *points to Honda Challenge*

Cause we don't like prissy little sports cars and foreign junk in our very selective series!

That's ok we can wear mullet wigs under our helmets to fit it with you "selective" folks.

Cause we don't like prissy little sports cars and foreign junk in our very selective series!

That's ok we can wear mullet wigs under our helmets to fit it with you "selective" folks.

You will fit in better if you break down all over the track...

You will fit in better if you break down all over the track...

RimShotJohnnyUtah.jpg

I would go for combining STR and ST with mod factors like before. That makes sense. This weekend at Sonoma I was the only car there in SU, ST1, and ST2. There was 1 ST3 car. Norcal is dead in these classes which is weird since the Bay Area has so many rich people and the tracks are so good here. I ran TTU on Sunday for tire contingencies. Time to throw in the towel and get a miata?

Time to throw in the towel and get a miata?

This is my biggest fear The day I have to figure out a way to cram my 6'4" self in a caged Miata

Easy. Bolt a seat directly to the floor as far back as it can be.

Time to throw in the towel and get a miata?

This is my biggest fear The day I have to figure out a way to cram my 6'4" self in a caged Miata

Easy. Bolt a seat directly to the floor as far back as it can be.

Physics limits the size available. I have driven Miata's caged for Clydesdale class males and it still limits what fits. Cages built for most Miata's would twist him up and would be a hoot to watch...

Physics limits the size available. I have driven Miata's caged for Clydesdale class males and it still limits what fits. Cages built for most Miata's would twist him up and would be a hoot to watch...

I'm 6'3" and drove a Miata (for a few laps for fun in HPDE) built with a 5'8" person in mind. It was fun but my knees were in front of the steering wheel LOL.

• 1 month later...

Exhaust through the rocker panels/floor, etc. to lower ride height

Corvette exhaust is already tucked up in the center tunnel. Running the exhaust through the rocker requires building a higher false floor in the passenger compartment. It's done to remove weight more than anything. It doesn't allow you to go any lower.

I think that running the exhaust out the side also allows you to make the bottom flatter, so your diffuser can work better. That tunnel is annoying for a car that needs flat bottom. Also, having side pipes lets you skirt out to the max width between the wheels. Diffuser is something we don't pay lots of attention to, but is something Chevy did pretty well, in the divisions they were allowed to run one on these cars.

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to throw this in there to stir the pot.

V8 Stock car series GTA lap record at VIR set in 2007 and still standing is 2:01.651.... 2800lb car. 550 horsepower. I wonder what it would do if the HP/WT was brought down to legal in ST2?

Hey Brian what did you do in your TT/PTA legal Corvette?

Corvette is still the car to beat in ST. However, the new rules at least allow for everybody to run together. Based on all Greg's comment it sounds like he's trying to get some baseline times and then potentially make future changes to all the mod factors.