Rules question

f1fan8

I have a question about axles and driveshafts. Are those parts free to change/modify or do they have to be stock? It seems they can be changed if an engine/trans combo is swapped but what about non swapped drivetrains? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • National Staff

This is just like any other component on the car that is not expressly mentioned in the rules.

It should be stock or "stock equivalent".

Is an aftermarket axle that does the exact same job as the stock axle that is the same dimensions and construction legal?

If I were the ruling tech inspector that weekend, I would certainly say "yes".

I hope that answers your question.

Jeremy - I posted the reply below in the '2014 Rules' thread, but didn't get any response, so hopefully you can help provide an answer. Thanks!!

I’m not running Honda Challenge, but instead and just running Time Trials, but I was wondering about the rear lower control arms (part 4 in http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/part ... -lower-arm). If I understand the HC rules http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Honda-Challenge.pdf correctly, section 8.6 allow for spherical bushings to be used, but as far as I can tell, aftermarket rear lower control arms aren’t allowed, so if you want spherical bushings in that part, you need to get them installed in the standard control arm. I’ve heard that the aftermarket rear lower control arms make it easier and cheaper to do this than modifying the stock control arms to add the spherical bushings. I’m not sure if there is any performance benefit for using the aftermarket rear control arms with spherical bushings vs adding the bushings to the standard arms, but could the aftermarket arms possibly be allowed? Thanks!! - Jim

Jeremy - I posted the reply below in the '2014 Rules' thread, but didn't get any response, so hopefully you can help provide an answer. Thanks!!

I’m not running Honda Challenge, but instead and just running Time Trials, but I was wondering about the rear lower control arms (part 4 in http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/part ... -lower-arm). If I understand the HC rules http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Honda-Challenge.pdf correctly, section 8.6 allow for spherical bushings to be used, but as far as I can tell, aftermarket rear lower control arms aren’t allowed, so if you want spherical bushings in that part, you need to get them installed in the standard control arm. I’ve heard that the aftermarket rear lower control arms make it easier and cheaper to do this than modifying the stock control arms to add the spherical bushings. I’m not sure if there is any performance benefit for using the aftermarket rear control arms with spherical bushings vs adding the bushings to the standard arms, but could the aftermarket arms possibly be allowed? Thanks!! - Jim

Jim,

I requested this a few years back for those specific reason, but it was ultimately shot down as certain models did not have access to the same pre-made spherical arms. In the end I turned to Chris @ Kingpin Machine to make a few spherical items for my car http://kingpinmachine.com/ While the price is a little high, the quality of work is second to none.

Austin

• National Staff

Sorry Jim, I'm not avoiding you, I promise.

This has been something covered many times and there just hasn't been a compelling reason to permit the aftermarket lower control arms.

People look to replace them for whatever reason, but stock arms are still cheaper and companies now make the factory replacement arms with the spherical bushings in them, so there really just isn't a requirement to allow yet another component of the car to be replaced in H2.

Jim,

I requested this a few years back for those specific reason, but it was ultimately shot down as certain models did not have access to the same pre-made spherical arms. In the end I turned to Chris @ Kingpin Machine to make a few spherical items for my car http://kingpinmachine.com/ While the price is a little high, the quality of work is second to none. Austin

Sorry Jim, I'm not avoiding you, I promise.

This has been something covered many times and there just hasn't been a compelling reason to permit the aftermarket lower control arms.

People look to replace them for whatever reason, but stock arms are still cheaper and companies now make the factory replacement arms with the spherical bushings in them, so there really just isn't a requirement to allow yet another component of the car to be replaced in H2.

Austin/Jerermy,

Thanks for replying with the info. My race shop has been looking into adding sphericals to the stock arms, and it has taken a while trying to get it done, so if there was a fairly inexpensive aftermarket arm out there with sphericals already in it, then I was hoping that they would be approved. When I bought my car, it already had aftermarket arms with spherical bushings so I was hoping that the aftermarket arms would be approved.

I actually checked with Kingpin machine when I wanted to upgrade my front compliance bushings (EK hatch) to sphericals, but he doesn't carry those, and he didn't really have time to work on them as he was working on a number of other projects, so I ended up going with the Hardrace hardened rubber. Austin - I didn't see EK rear arms on the website, so maybe it is just a special request?

Jeremy - could you mention the other companies that have the stock arms with spherical bushings already installed? My car is an EK (2000 Civic hatch). Thanks!! - Jim

...snip...

I actually checked with Kingpin machine when I wanted to upgrade my front compliance bushings (EK hatch) to sphericals, but he doesn't carry those, and he didn't really have time to work on them as he was working on a number of other projects, so I ended up going with the Hardrace hardened rubber. Austin - I didn't see EK rear arms on the website, so maybe it is just a special request?

Jeremy - could you mention the other companies that have the stock arms with spherical bushings already installed? My car is an EK (2000 Civic hatch). Thanks!! - Jim

Jim,

I'm sure if you contact him, he can most likely put something together. I'm sure that he's had inquiries about those parts. In the off chance that he hasn't produced a set, you would most likely have to obtain a second set of stock parts in order to have the spherical bearings prototyped on. He's a 1 man shop, so the website doesn't cover everything that he can/does produce. I know that Graham and I both purchased his compliance bushing set for the EG during his first production run a few years back.

Austin

Jim,

I'm sure if you contact him, he can most likely put something together. I'm sure that he's had inquiries about those parts. In the off chance that he hasn't produced a set, you would most likely have to obtain a second set of stock parts in order to have the spherical bearings prototyped on. He's a 1 man shop, so the website doesn't cover everything that he can/does produce. I know that Graham and I both purchased his compliance bushing set for the EG during his first production run a few years back.

Austin

Austin - thanks. I just sent Chris a message. Just wondering - how much of a difference did the spherical compliance bushings make for you over the standard rubber part? I know that you might have installed other parts when you installed the spherical compliance bushings, but just wondering...

For the rear lower control arms, I'll also check with any companies that Jeremy mentions has the arms with the spherical bushings.

- Jim