• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philstireservice

• stevepoe

• Grizlbits

• Mystic_Cobra

Mystic_Cobra,

thanks... any idea how soon? need to buy tires for a shakedown before the weather turns and don't want to buy the wrong tires...

I would say we would know better in a few months. During the rcr process the rr was discussed. The recommendation was rr and ra1 for 2014 but supply is the issue. At the moment the 17" rr is not available. However it is up to nasa and toyo. I would say get the ra1, either way the rules go you could use the ra1.

I would say we would know better in a few months. During the rcr process the rr was discussed. The recommendation was rr and ra1 for 2014 but supply is the issue. At the moment the 17" rr is not available. However it is up to nasa and toyo. I would say get the ra1, either way the rules go you could use the ra1.

The RR will be here at the end of November or early December. With this said it has no bearing on NASA's decision to Spec the RR for certain classes.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw on the CMC site that they're going to the RR in 2014. Will the same thing happen in AI? Just trying to figure out how to spend my Toyo Bucks (if I can get the new website to work...).

I just bought some RA1's.

Can't wait to hear that I bought the wrong tires.

You bought the wrong tires. Sorry.

I don't think you can say that at this point. Remember in the other classes that have gone to rr the ra1 is still legal since it is the rain tire. I would not think NASA wants to get into the business of declaring which race is a rain race so odd are you can run ra1 if you want. But heck like you guys I am just guessing, until the rules are released.

All,

I have it on good authority (Todd) to validate that there is a "good chance" that the Toyo RR "WILL" be one of the spec tires next year.

When announced, the RR and RA1 will both be allowed next year, as the RR is not a "rain" tire. The RA1 will fill hat void and the racer will be allowed to use either at any time. RR in the wet... sure, if you're brave enough. RA1 in the dry... sure, if you don't have the funds yet for a set of RR's.

The implementation strategy hasn't been fully announced, but most likely the RR will be allowed after a few events into the season. Please be on the lookout for a press release from Jeremy C.

To my knowledge there is plenty of stock of 18's. 17's will be available in December, and there are NO 16's (not that anyone is running that wheel in AI).

All,

I have it on good authority (Todd) to validate that there is a "good chance" that the Toyo RR "WILL" be one of the spec tires next year.

When announced, the RR and RA1 will both be allowed next year, as the RR is not a "rain" tire. The RA1 will fill hat void and the racer will be allowed to use either at any time. RR in the wet... sure, if you're brave enough. RA1 in the dry... sure, if you don't have the funds yet for a set of RR's.

The implementation strategy hasn't been fully announced, but most likely the RR will be allowed after a few events into the season. Please be on the lookout for a press release from Jeremy C.

To my knowledge there is plenty of stock of 18's. 17's will be available in December, and there are NO 16's (not that anyone is running that wheel in AI).

there will be 16", not the size that you may want, but later in 2014 there will 225/50R16 and 245/45R16 RR's.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/2013/11/nasa-announces-rr-allowance-fo.html

NAPA VALLEY, CALIFORNIA - The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) is pleased to announce that beginning February 1st of the 2014 season, the American Iron, Camaro Mustang Challenge, Honda Challenge, Factor Five Challenge, and 986 Spec classes will transition over to running on the Toyo® Proxes® RR tire during dry weather competition.

Last season, the Spec Miata, 944 Spec, and Spec E30 classes all transitioned over to using the Proxes RR with great success and now the size line-up has been expanded to support these additional classes.

Over three years ago, Toyo Tires® began working with NASA to develop a new two-groove competition D.O.T. radial tire to meet the specific demands of an excellent “spec” tire. The Proxes RR is the culmination of extensive testing on competition vehicles running in NASA classes currently using the Toyo® Proxes® RA1. The tire was developed specifically for NASA’s classes that specify the Proxes RA1 with the intention of bringing a new tire to market that would no longer require shaving while still providing the consistent lap times, predictable handling, and the long life of the Proxes RA1. This new competition tire is molded to a 4/32nd inch tread depth with additional wear inspection holes on the void areas. This race-ready design eliminates the need for tire shaving and provides ultimate traction with superior cornering force. In addition to matching the longevity and predictability of the Proxes RA1, the Proxes RR is also able to achieve faster lap times. Beginning in February of 2014, NASA will allow the new Proxes RR for dry weather competition use in the American Iron, Camaro Mustang Challenge, Honda Challenge, Factor Five Challenge, and 986 Spec classes. These classes will still be permitted to use the Proxes RA1 tire for the first two events of the 2014 season in each NASA region for dry weather competition and may use the Proxes RA1 at any time during the 2014 season for wet weather competition.

To assist competitors with the transition period, Toyo Tires is making a significant concession and allowing any Toyo Bucks issued from this point forward to be used toward the purchase of Proxes RR tires along with extending the expiration date on all Toyo Bucks until April 1, 2014. This allows competitors collecting Toyo Bucks from now until the end of the year the opportunity to spend their Toyo Bucks on the Proxes RR tires for next season. 

“The Toyo Proxes RR is the tire for competitors who are serious about winning,” said Marc Sanzenbacher, Senior Manager of Performance Products Division, Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. “It has proven itself to be the best single tire on the market for fast, consistent laps, just like you’ll find with the Proxes RS1 and legendary Proxes RA1. We made the program changes effective immediately to ease the transition period for the racers looking to purchase and test the Proxes RR tire now.”

“Our competitors who were able to move onto the Proxes RR this season really enjoyed driving on the new tire” said Jeremy Croiset, NASA’s Director of Sponsorship. “Because of the extensive testing we did all season on vehicles from each class, we expect these additional classes to enjoy the same positive experience that our Spec Miata, 944 Spec, and Spec E30 classes did during the 2013 season. I know many of our American Iron, Honda Challenge, and Factory Five competitors are eager to get a chance to run on the new tire and we are excited to see how each class enjoys the new found performance of the Proxes RR.”

For further information on the Toyo Proxes RR, please visit www.toyotires.com/proxes. 
For a complete list of dealers where you can purchase the Toyo Proxes RR, please visit here.

ran a few sets this year in spec iron good for about 9-10 heat cycles by 12 your going to be behind the 8 ball with guys on fresh tires 15 and they are junk 3550 lb mustang .

Had fresh ra 1 and fresh rr during a practice day . noticed nothing . I think it's the same compound just no need to shave it, less money and says rr on it instead of ra1 or r888

I was hoping for more than 2 events to use up my RA1's. I guess I can use them in "wet weather competition". You never know what the weather will do over a 30 minute period at Mid Ohio.

You never know what the weather will do over a 30 minute period at Mid Ohio.

Exactly, I'm sure NASA or a regional director isn't going to get into the business of declaring "rain" races or not.

j

You never know what the weather will do over a 30 minute period at Mid Ohio.

Exactly, I'm sure NASA or a regional director isn't going to get into the business of declaring "rain" races or not.

j

Very we'll said. I personally won't take the liability of telling our guys what is or isn't a rain/dry race. As I said in a previous post. RR's in the wet... Fine. Ra1's in the dry... Fine.

Not my call at the end of he day.

• 1 month later...
ran a few sets this year in spec iron good for about 9-10 heat cycles by 12 your going to be behind the 8 ball with guys on fresh tires 15 and they are junk 3550 lb mustang .

Had fresh ra 1 and fresh rr during a practice day . noticed nothing . I think it's the same compound just no need to shave it, less money and says rr on it instead of ra1 or r888

Steve,

Phil's reports 219 for the RA1 and 245 for the RR (no shaving on either). I guess add the price to shave the RA1 and you are at virtually the same price?

If the compound is the same, what makes the RR the faster tire? Just the extra contact area or is the carcas a new design or ?

Steve,

Phil's reports 219 for the RA1 and 245 for the RR (no shaving on either). I guess add the price to shave the RA1 and you are at virtually the same price?

If the compound is the same, what makes the RR the faster tire? Just the extra contact area or is the carcas a new design or ?

The RR's have less of a slip angle like a Hoosier. Meaning they have a more precise turn in. RA-1's have a larger slip angle, hence the slide. Once you work with the RR, you will see 1.5 -2.0 seconds a lap increase.

Once you work with the RR, you will see 1.5 -2.0 seconds a lap increase.

So every track record is going down by 2 seconds this year? I really doubt it.

Steve,

I'm speaking about a 275/35/18 not sure what size you are quoting there ?

The RR's have less of a slip angle like a Hoosier. Meaning they have a more precise turn in. RA-1's have a larger slip angle, hence the slide. Once you work with the RR, you will see 1.5 -2.0 seconds a lap increase.

well I ran them both at Putnam on a Friday practice day . just about a perfect day . I was on rr tires to start and put a fresh one heat cycle ra1 tire on for the last two sessions. my lap times where the same or maybe by a tenth . for the most part about the same with hardly any traffic. car acted and responded the same and very minor changes where made to the car during the time.

I noticed nothing so I must be missing something ? If they are that much faster I would have thought I should have seen something ?

Steve,

I'm speaking about a 275/35/18 not sure what size you are quoting there ?

well I ran them both at Putnam on a Friday practice day . just about a perfect day . I was on rr tires to start and put a fresh one heat cycle ra1 tire on for the last two sessions. my lap times where the same or maybe by a tenth . for the most part about the same with hardly any traffic. car acted and responded the same and very minor changes where made to the car during the time.

I noticed nothing so I must be missing something ? If they are that much faster I would have thought I should have seen something ?

Not so much for you Steve, but in theory, you do have to be driving both sessions at the limit of the tire before any one would notice a difference.

Not so much for you Steve, but in theory, you do have to be driving both sessions at the limit of the tire before any one would notice a difference.

ZING!

118's spec iron . ever been there in your "AI" car Mark?