2014 NASA Nationals!

68Cobra

With regards to why they chose a track in the middle of nowhere, I think because there are another 500-700 miles and 8-10 hours to any of the other tracks people are willing to travel cross country (west) for. A likely deal breaker for many that were willing to travel that far, especially if you were driving yourself. Track selection/distance I'm sure played a big part in both directions. People aren't going to keep coming to Mid-Ohio over and over again from AZ or CA or TX.

The way NASA has staggered the events makes it possible for people to attend both, I know I'm considering it if I can find reasonable transport to Sonoma. There are two months between events, plenty of time. They will call it nationals, because just calling it a big event isn't going to draw the crowds they are looking for. Right or wrong, it makes business sense. And with a good rotation of quality tracks, there is much to be excited about in coming years. I'm ok with them having an East National Champ, West National Champ and Double National Champ. Has a nice ring to it.

All of the nationals have been big regional events with a few more guests from other regions than normal. Mid-Ohio was probably 70-80% Midwest and Great Lakes, same groups that run that track all year. Spattering of SE, NE, FL, TX and western regions made up the rest. I think with the stagger we will see an equal amount of out of region competitors if not more.

I've been wanting to go to Nationals for 2 years now, but TT1 had 2 people in it this year, and maybe 4 or 5 last year, which ended up at 2 or 3. I don't care what they call it, I'm not traveling all sorts of distances for that. Personally, I'm interested in the quality and at least some depth of competition. A "national" event has more standards to live up to than just being an exclusive, inclusive event. IMO of course.

Damn you're a good debater.

Like I said, both "nationals" will be great events, but it's just a shame to me that it's come to this. I guess there's really no other option with everything that's involved. Hopefully it'll grow on me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heavychevy

• kbrew8991

• Fred Crawford

• sperkins

Scott,

I have to say when I read the news, I was pretty much aligned with you. And, that is coming from someone who was likely never going to be a National Champion (unlike you). However, judging from the posts on here and Facebook, we are in the minority. I really hope the best for NASA, mostly because of the great work Jim and Julie have done. I applaud NASA for thinking outside the box, and for taking a bold step. Now, if they just do that with classes. In the meantime, maybe this will help car counts in the SE.

Damn you're a good debater.

Like I said, both "nationals" will be great events, but it's just a shame to me that it's come to this. I guess there's really no other option with everything that's involved. Hopefully it'll grow on me.

It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully moving towards that COTA super national which means we'd have a east coast, west coast regional that rotates among top tracks and centralized championship. Doesn't get any better than that.

I'm hoping these events will not both costs as much as nationals though that won't stop me from going as I'm signing up as soon as registration opens. Hope you change your mind as you will represent the strength of the SE well.

I think this is a great idea! I've been wanting to go to Nationals for years and never been able to afford it. Now I have no excuse. I suspect we will be at the East Coast events for many years to come now.

From a financial standpoint and from a "Fun" standpoint I think this will be great for NASA. Now all the regions need to petition for Nationals each year like the Olympics!

Scott - where's the positiveness and optimism I used to experience hanging out with you?

I think this is a great idea. It was terrible when I missed Mid Ohio Nationals, since I knew chances were slim I'd go to Utah. Now we have a chance to run somewhere near by. And if you are very determined there is plenty of time to do East Coast and then go to CA and do Sonoma race for West Coast. So you can still be a National Champion.

However, it would've been cool to have a National Championship race at COTA - mid way for everyone and what a venue I hear.

Maybe all the winners will get half a trophy and half a bottle of champagne to go with their half title.

Naw. NASA will just institute new classes.

ST1E

ST1W

ST2E

ST2W

ST2RE

ST2RW

Just poking a little fun and my favorite failing of NASA.

I'm glad that there will be a 'championship' that I can afford to tow to. Hopefully (a) I get the Panoz running and (b) there are enough STR cars at enough races to qualify. I guess if I run enough races by myself, I could go into the championship race undefeated!

However, it would've been cool to have a National Championship race at COTA - mid way for everyone and what a venue I hear.

They now have absolutely zero interest in dealing with the unwashed masses / amateur clubs / etc - at least for 2014. Don't hold your breath until a few years after F1 leaves.

I know of at least one club that had their already astronomically nosebleed type rate doubled this year to discourage them from returning. It worked.

This new East and West coast National Championships format is a GREAT idea! We are located in Dallas, pretty much the geographic middle of the country, yet both Miller (25 hours) and Mid-Ohio (16 hours) were insane tows for us to get to. We regularly have 35+ entries in Time Trial at NASA Texas events but I was the only one (foolish enough) from our region to make the trek to Miller this year.

Road Atlanta, on the other hand, is only 12 hours away. After the brutal trek over the mountains to Miller this seems like a breeze, now. Damn right I'll be at RA! Might even go to a Regional event beforehand to learn the track. I'm hoping the August date at RA isn't going to be a sweat storm, but it is Hotlanta.

As much as we all hoped for a National Championships at COTA, the track owners there have ZERO interest in club racing level events. I've heard the numbers from event organizers (some of whom came to my company for potential sponsorship) that tried to rent this track. Even with $25M kicked in from the State of Texas each year for the F1 events, they simply don't want folks like us racing there. Give it a few years... and maybe losing the F1 event (an eventuality) would help our chances, too. I've driven the track and it is FREAKIN AMAZING but the costs are just way too high right now. They spent over $400M building the place... think about that.

Anyway, kudos to the National NASA folks for making such a bold move, splitting Nationals up into two events. With Miller and Mid-O there was already a severe lack of participation from the opposing coasts, so saying the new dual format is only "half a championship" isn't fair at all. I think this dual-championship format will bring in MORE people than any event put on way out in the desert, too. And with full contingencies for both events, and enough time between the two dates to enter both if you wanted, this is a win-win (literally!).

Thanks,

I didn't realize COTA was on that elitist nonsense. Forget them....... This remains as the best option, I'm planning on Road Atlanta in August and Sonoma in November. Been wanting to do a trip west, this gives me a good reason. May want to do Thunderhill while I'm out there. Anyone know how far these two are apart?

• Members

I bet that the sum of #'s at RA and Sonoma double that of Miller. There's no way one can look at that sort of scenario and be a downer about it. This is going to be terrific.

Scott - where's the positiveness and optimism I used to experience hanging out with you?

I think this is a great idea. It was terrible when I missed Mid Ohio Nationals, since I knew chances were slim I'd go to Utah. Now we have a chance to run somewhere near by. And if you are very determined there is plenty of time to do East Coast and then go to CA and do Sonoma race for West Coast. So you can still be a National Champion.

He is the Mafia's Eyore. But he is great to run with!

I, too, think this is a good change for NASA. As others have said, Nationals at Mid-O and Miller were not very well attended the last couple of years.

One thing that I really like about the new format is the IROC-type of final championship race with a SINGLE winner. This ensures that a DRIVER, not a wallet or mechanic, wins the overall. It also ensures that MAZDA gets a wheelman to come into their ranks.

Would I give up my career to pursue a chance at a year on the circuit? Heck no, I would never even entertain that kind of time commitment away from my corporate obligations. Not to mention the pay cut to race professionally. However, I am very happy to see NASA and an auto maker willing to structure a chance for someone to pursue that dream. And if I am a field filler for that person to move on to bigger and better things, so be it.

I bet that the sum of #'s at RA and Sonoma double that of Miller. There's no way one can look at that sort of scenario and be a downer about it. This is going to be terrific.

Agreed. I think NASA is going to see a good amount of dual participation as well.

• Members
One thing that I really like about the new format is the IROC-type of final championship race with a SINGLE winner. This ensures that a DRIVER, not a wallet or mechanic, wins the overall. It also ensures that MAZDA gets a wheelman to come into their ranks.

Would I give up my career to pursue a chance at a year on the circuit? Heck no, I would never even entertain that kind of time commitment away from my corporate obligations. Not to mention the pay cut to race professionally. However, I am very happy to see NASA and an auto maker willing to structure a chance for someone to pursue that dream. And if I am a field filler for that person to move on to bigger and better things, so be it.

Very, very true!

I, too, think this is a good change for NASA. As others have said, Nationals at Mid-O and Miller were not very well attended the last couple of years.

Would I give up my career to pursue a chance at a year on the circuit? Heck no, I would never even entertain that kind of time commitment away from my corporate obligations. Not to mention the pay cut to race professionally. However, I am very happy to see NASA and an auto maker willing to structure a chance for someone to pursue that dream. And if I am a field filler for that pn to move on to bigger and better things, so be it.

I hate to agree with him, but I do.

Well said.

Bthompson77

OK if the Road Atlanta weekend at the end of August is considered the nationals then are they going to have all of HPDE guys there running that weekend too or will it just be 3 days of straight racing and TT??

Firebird Man
HPDE National Championship... sure!

chances are there wouldnt be room on the schedule after 2 TT groups and 5-6 race groups

Check out the new Speednews for the "I won HPDE" article.

What a classy move by Mazda to put up such a big commitment. It must cost them a fortune in all of the cars, prepping them for W2W, and fielding the crews to maintain them. That's a big damn deal.

Props to Mazda for putting their money into supporting grassroots racing. I wish some of the other manufacturers would get involved similarly. Good on them.

• Members
What a classy move by Mazda to put up such a big commitment. It must cost them a fortune in all of the cars, prepping them for W2W, and fielding the crews to maintain them. That's a big damn deal.

Props to Mazda for putting their money into supporting grassroots racing. I wish some of the other manufacturers would get involved similarly. Good on them.

Being "invited" to the "Mazda Race of Champions" doesn't explicitly mean it's free to the driver. I agree that it is cool of Mazda to do it, but surely it remains to be seen what the driver costs will be for racing and for fixing damage.

HPDE National Championship... sure!

chances are there wouldnt be room on the schedule after 2 TT groups and 5-6 race groups

Check out the new Speednews for the "I won HPDE" article.

I laughed at that … at least the opening paragraph ….

I don't think the author understood the sarcasm intended by the T shirt

but maybe I'm the one that doesn't understand ...