NASA Championships Announcement

Will F.

5 days worth of events is "too hard"? Really???? 2 and a half weekends?

I'll be qualifed for racing by Jan 19th (3 races over 18/19 + 2 days of TT 18/19), and TT by March 8 (Jan 18/19, Feb 15/16, Mar 8 ) You could decide on/around late May in the SE/MA area and still get enough TT days in easily. And if you were doing racing, you could do it all in one weekend with some creative supersizing.

And I wouldn't worry alot about the price, you have to almost purposefully dilly-dally on registration to end up actually paying $999. The discount codes last year started in the $300ish-$400ish range iirc...

I'm not talking about me man. God willing, I will be there. Some of the northern tracks don't open until April. The eastern tracks will likely shut down for at least part of August. As far as I know you can't sign up for half an event. Car trouble can easily set you back a month, especially with as many garage mechanics as are present with NASA. And thats assuming you dont have an issue at an event. So now you have to add a whole new event to qualify. Given the small number of events with t&t you'll need to find time for that too. At least I do. That gives some people 4 months. And all regions don't have tracks galore within easy driving distance. Easier said than done for some people.

People also have work/families etc. This is still grassroots. 3 events can sometimes be harder than it seems. And you can't sign up for half an event. Given the west coast has 3 additional months to qualify, what's wrong with 4 days for east nationals, especially for people willing to go cross country and do both? I think with my schedule I may have a tough time in that scenario especially if I had to travel far for qualification events. Just something to keep in mind. SCCA nearly broke the runoffs record car count by making it easier to qualify. 4 events and $550 with a max of $750 late.

Just sayin'

The requirements are below. Note that you can satisfy the (likely) championship eligibility requirements in three days -- 3 races and 2 TTs. You don't even need to run every TT session to obtain the credit.

1) Race class competitors must participate in five (5) races. Any number of races in any class and any NASA region will qualify as credit.

Participation in Time Trial will be limited to a maximum of 2 credits towards race class qualification.

Endurance events less than 6 hours will count as 1 race credit for the team.

Endurance events more than 6 hours will count as 2 race credits for both the drivers of the team.

I get what you're saying heavychevy, but, the late August date for Road Atlanta is only a week or two earlier than the standard early September date that Nationals has been held on in the past. I'm not sure how much adjustment if any that should warrant as to the requirements.

Car problems during the season? Call Hertz & run TT....??

With a region that runs a short fri enduro - E_ entry, TT entry (Sat & Sun), Race entry (Sat & Sun) = 5. And that takes care of you for any region that runs only 1 race each weekend day. Some do up to 2 sprints for racers each day which makes it even easier... BUT that only qualifies you for racing at Nationals. Now qualifying for TT is actually harder as you HAVE to do 5 TT days, and only 5 TT days will do it. Maybe trimming that to 4 TTs + some other entry / race /whatever?

I thought about the date being pretty close to the old one, and we have it easy down here. I did live 8 minutes to Road Atlanta, but moved to an inconvenient 15 minutes away. I have no excuses. Never the less, SCCA's formula seems to be working wonders. Probably would be better if they hadn't killed T1 and some of the other GT classes with their crazy rule changes over and over again. Nevertheless, just throwing some ideas out there. Maybe nothing more is needed and both east/west events are packed out of control. That would be awesome.

If you don't have time to get your own car to the track, or don't want to tow to the track give us a shout. You can even get some practice in at Road Atlanta if you want to. Visit our website below.