honda318dx

NASA HI COMMAND! When can we get the Glen??

Renntag

I would love to go to the Glenn with NASA next year. I have driven the Glenn and it is a blast to say the least. Certainly is a 'must drive' on anyones list.

I hope this works out.

Zee
I totally understand both your points, just see my side though..

- CMP, a shoo-shiddily-diddily, crappy track about 5-8 hours for most racers still gets a decent turnout, why, because its NASA MA supported and a points race for most the race groups. The GLEN is the same distance, but not supported.

- No one goes to pocono because its not a points race for most the series, same problem.

- Someone like me (95% of the racers I know in Honda Challenge) are not going to waste money going to a HPDE. We have been there, they are fun at times but once you do the W2W they get boring.

My suggestion have a NASA MA-NE-and MW regions make a Glen race part of the schedules on the race series for 2006. Combine the event. If its on the different race series's point schedules, it will bring a good draw. I know our southern HC guys would still go to a Race at Watkins Glen.

Until that all happens, consider thinking ouside of the "box":

http://www.emraracing.org

(We won't even make you cover your SCCA or NASA decals!)

96LT1

If NASA-NE could get the Glen for an '06 weekend, I know at least 5 of us (3 instructors / 2 HPDE3s) from MA (NoVA) that would make the trip for a HPDE.

I talked to some of the Oh/In guys at the Labor Day BeaveRun event and they said they wanted to "do the Glen". At the time none of us knew that NE did HPDEs.

(Hint, Hint) A little more inter-region communications might be helpful.

turboice

Yeah weekends would be much easier to make.

BTW to communicate with NE region, posting there might make it more visible to them.

For this year as listed EMRA will be there and also PDA has a 3 day over the weekend DE coming up as well.

Renntag
If NASA-NE could get the Glen for an '06 weekend, I know at least 5 of us (3 instructors / 2 HPDE3s) from MA (NoVA) that would make the trip for a HPDE.

(Hint, Hint) A little more inter-region communications might be helpful.

Count me in as well. NoVa resident, and BSR instructor.

I have driven the Glenn and love it.

I would be willing to instruct, sign up for HPDE4, or race if it will be a race weekend.

This sounds like a great idea. :thumb:

tur8o

Well I went and I loved it. Too bad more people from MA didn't take advantage of this. We had the track to ourselves mostly (We had to share with Danika on Mon. afternoon, she was testing... yeah you read that right) and the run groups were incredibly small, and on a track this big it totally seemed like you were out alone alot. We got 4 sessions each day at about 25 min each. Overall a great 2 days for me.

turboice

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=7080

Well now we will see just how serious the claim that everyone would come to a WG race will be.

I guess they should be able to expect 20 or so HC entrants right?

So probably at least 30 people should show up from MA to race at the Glen this year?

See you at Senaca Lodge.

Pet the beaver!

turboice

Just about what I expected - the backpeddling begins!

-   Have a race at the Glen, *everyone* will go. Won't waste our time for an HPDE to support a NASA region, but have a race and we will all be there!

OK here's a race.

-   Oh, uhm, well maybe we'll go.

Hence the reason I said anyone that is going to ask a region to do something should give to the region before they starting asking of the region.

Racers would flock to the Glen and bring others, but we won't for a HPDE.

NASA-NE doesn't control ECHC scheduling - they were asked to hold a race because there was so much interest. There was no indication that they also had to make sure ECHC added it to their schedule and frankly I think there is an awful lot of expectation of the region to do whatever is asked from people who have never supported the region.

The best way to make sure there is a race in the future is for the race being held to be attended. If they take track time from profitable HPDE for a race that is marginal at best - I don't see how there is any incentive for them to keep trying to meet marginal demand.

honda318dx

What you don't understand is that ECHC would never, ever consider it to go on the schedule if there even isn't a race date. Now there is, now its time to lobby to get it on our schedule...

turboice

I would understand it as a given that if there is no event at a track with a sanctioned race then no series could schedule a points race for that track.

What I wouldn't understand is if a series fails to put a race on their points schedule - why the flock of racers would not go to the event anyway. If there is such a desire to race at that track and there is a race why not support that event irrespective of points to ensure the region keeps having a race there so that in a future year the race still exists to consider for the schedule?

You started off saying there was a bunch of people who want to race at the Glen period. But now you are saying that if it isn't a points race that there is no reason to go to that race.

If it doesn't get on the points schedule and no one goes, the race may be lost in the future and then it goes back to there not being a race event at all for any consideration in the points schedule. If HC doesn't add it to the points schedule in 2006, but people want the race there so it can be considered in 2007 it would make a lot of sense to show up and support the 2006 race anyway. Give the NE region an incentive to keep a race date at the Glen by supporting the region and attending their races so that they continue to exist for future consideration.

A region needs to make decisions based on attendance not on requests. If anyone wants a race at the Glen in 2007, it is better to attend the 2006 race than not irrespective of the separate decision made by ECHC to include it in the points schedule or not.

honda318dx

Your making it sound like my fault.. I said this on page 1.

- CMP, a shoo-shiddily-diddily, crappy track about 5-8 hours for most racers still gets a decent turnout, why, because its NASA MA supported and a points race for most the race groups. The GLEN is the same distance, but not supported.

- No one goes to pocono because its not a points race for most the series, same problem.

My suggestion have a NASA MA-NE-and MW regions make a Glen race part of the schedules on the race series for 2006. Combine the event. If its on the different race series's point schedules, it will bring a good draw. I know our southern HC guys would still go to a Race at Watkins Glen.

Besides, I don't know if a date will even be had for next year for the Glen, arn't they repaving. I do plan on going though, HC supported or not..

turboice

Never said it was your fault.

I do get frustrated by those who want something for nothing. A region doesn't just start up and whalla you have a NASA-MA. It takes time to develop and it takes investment by those who want to get something back from it. And those who ask why NASA-NE doesn't have this or doesn't have that for them, when they haven't ever supported the region does frustrate me. This is club racing it happens when the club has gotten support from its members, there is no pot of money for a region to say "oh you want that sure, here you go".

Glen will be paved late next year around October it looks like.

The plan as it has been laid out is to have a 2006 event that includes a race. That may mean that it is likely to be during the traditional NASA event on a Mon-Tues in September rather than the traditional PDA event over a weekend in October.

And yes, I think anyone that wants NASA-NE to do something for them should come out and at least participate in and support NASA-NE. A region has to grow in order to have certain levels of events, that takes two things time and support from membership. A shortage of either will not bring about a region large enough to do all the things that people are asking for.

944 cup

The 944 Cup series has wanted to race at the Glen for sometime, and finally finished off 2005 with a race there last year in October. Incredible track and facility. We had a great turnout, and would certainly go back again.

As I understand it, NASA NE may have 3 different dates at the Glen in 2006. Problem is they are Monday/Tuesday events which I think will cut down the attendance significantly and make it not wotrh scheduling. But weekend dates at the Glen are rare to get.

The Glen will close down early in 2006, but until the end of Spetember, for repaving.