ST2/ST3 Plans for 2014?

z06tracker

Below is the ST2/3 participation in the SE thus far in 2013 (not counting the MA cross-over event). In ST2, we have had 14 cars run. Sounds great right? Well, 8 of those ran 1 event or just one day and 3 ran 2 events. That means 3 of us ran more than 2 events. Here are the participants:

Nick deKay, Russ Dalba, Morris Morgan, Mark West, Jerry Stout, Chris Durbin, Michael Fuchswanz, Joel Vandiver, Robert Huffmaster, Don Clifford, Reese Cox, Kevin Harvey, Jody Austin, and Ray Huffmaster.

In ST3, there was 1 SE appearance, Kevin Harvey.

I will update this with MA, Florida, and Mid-South participants when able.

In the meantime, who plans to run ST2 and ST3 in 2014? We all know things change, but what are your plans.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim P.

• brkntrxn

• kcw10

• kbrew8991

Morris

It is possible that I will run a couple of ST2 events in SE. As for MA my preference is to run my ST1 car(when its not broken) however I will run ST2 when it is. In MA it seems like ST2 and SU are the two classes that get the better car counts. Not sure what drives the ST2 numbers either at SP or VIR, just seems to be hit or miss. SU is normally good at VIR as there is a number of Late Model cars that run(although some of them would likely move down if there is a rule change)also other high end cars that may show up from time to time. As for Summit SU gets some high end stuff for Hyperfest and a few other variations for the other races.

As I had said in a previous post Im of the opinion that if you want to race a Corvette right now one needs to be prepared to be able to move up or down a class(just as some of us did at VIR). Certainly not ideal....... but I for one don't want to drive anything other than a Corvette or Viper.(So long as I can afford it that is)

I cant speak for FL as I only TT'ed with them in January, but I have monitored their TT/ST car counts as I'd like to run with them from time to time however they look to be more dead than SE for these classes.

Joe

I might do ST3 next year. Looks like that or buy a spec car or some sort. ST4 would be perfect for me if that could be a thing. More power and more tire just means more breaking shit on my little 4 banger.

I saw a post from Greg that said there will not be any ST changes for 2014. But, I don't know if that includes the idea for folding STR into ST or not.

Moe - I think it also depends on rules. If STR is really folded in you should see some Panos and others move back in.

I think from what I've read is that ST1 is being considered for 6.0 or some other factor and STR is still under consideration for change. ST2 and ST3 will not change.

We are seriously thinking about selling the Thunder Chicken and moving over to an STR-3 car next year...

Anyone want a fast Thunder Roadster?

-Jim

http://www.WildHorsesRacing.com

STR3 hasn't had a single entry all year. You know something that I don't?

I agree. What do you know, Jim?

Plus, the Thunder Chicken ALREADY qualifies for STR3. Why would you sell it and get something else. All of the TRs could run in STR3 now.

• Members

The Thunder Roadsters are ~120 HP and ~1600 lbs - so they do qualify for STR-3 but are far from competitive.

We are thinking about:

project-818-25.jpg

The Thunder Roadsters are ~120 HP and ~1600 lbs - so they do qualify for STR-3 but are far from competitive.

We are thinking about:

project-818-25.jpg

Good choice. And can be moved up if wanted.

I just can't warm up to the looks of those things. They scream "I was designed by a guy who failed out of design school". I know it's a kit car, but it just screams "kit car".

little pissant
Jim is a leader, not a follower! He's going to kick start STR3 all by himself!
We are thinking about:

We plan on making the jump and promoting STR-3. It is a good car for STR-3 with the weight/hp ratio is perfect. Also, if we get a lot of people to switch then it will be a fun national championship race at Road Atlanta.

• Members
I just can't warm up to the looks of those things. They scream "I was designed by a guy who failed out of design school". I know it's a kit car, but it just screams "kit car".

It appeals to a younger crowd

• Members
I look forward to you running that car in STR3 in the THUNDER Group with the rest of ST. I will absolutely switch to STR3 if you build/buy one.

Bring it! That way I can write "Beatdown" stories about you all over the interweb!

-Jim

Fast and Furious

What would it take to make a TR competitive? Busa?

enough power to get to the class adjusted hp/weight mark

big time aero work

better tires

maybe better suspension stuff too if needed after the first 3 items

edit - there is one here in TX that has that kind of stuff if you want to compare notes. The guy seems pretty friendly at events and willing to help people...?

Edited by Guest
little pissant

Well we were looking into what it would take to make the thunder roadster competitive in str3 and we found that fuel injected with a turbo is the best bet.

Some bikes we thought of: Yamaha ZX14R, Hayabusa(of course), Yamaha VMAX, and Kawasaki VN2000.

The problem is, to be competitive in str3 with a thunder roadster at 1600lbs you would need 190hp. That is why we decided to go the 818 route, which is $15,000 finished with a roller to sell to get money back, because it doesn't require a turbo which makes it reliable and quick with AWD.