DC Project (pointers will be helpful)

renegarcia6

Hello racefans

well im working on a dc for hpd. this is all i got for pictures now, looking for a 6 point bolt-on roll cage.

IMG_20131105_165251.jpg

this is the driver door, i cut what is missing while door was on car. will update with final cuts...pointers wanted

IMG_20131105_165447.jpg

this is roof, should i cut out the extra sheet metal and leave outer layer skin?

IMG_20131105_165432.jpg

what can i cut out here that is legal with nasa racing?

IMG_20131105_165421.jpg

is there a complete racing wiring harness?

IMG_20131105_164918.jpg

this is how it looks as of now. (rims are for sell) make offer

IMG_20131105_165326.jpg

the inside...

advice is appreciated and looking for a 6 point roll cage

thanks guys...

Hello racefans

well im working on a dc for hpd. this is all i got for pictures now, looking for a 6 point bolt-on roll cage.

advice is appreciated and looking for a 6 point roll cage

thanks guys...

Just wondering - where are you located? - Jim

how much does it cost to get a 6 point welded to car?

Depends on the fabricator. I would say minimum cost would be $1,500.

Depending on the labor rate, amount of material, design, etc...realistic cost probably anywhere from $1,800 to $3,000.

I spent $2,500 on mine. http://www.precisionchassisworks.com/acura-integra-cage.html

nice roll cage, well i found out where i can buy the piping at, was thinking of dom steel?

nice roll cage, well i found out where i can buy the piping at, was thinking of dom steel?

Thanks.

Yes, DOM is preferred. DO NOT DO ERW. It is not legal. Chromoly is not necessary nor is it "the best" IMO.

My cage is 1.75" 0.95 (oversized for my vehicle weight) for the main portions of the cage and 1.5" 0.95 for the rest.

• Members

If you want to build your car for honda challenge the very first thing you need to do is download the HC rule book and read it completely until you know it almost by hard. That will answer most of the questions you have. Second , you can go to an event where there is similar cars to the one you are building . I'm sure the guys will be more than happy to answer questions.

Are you just starting or do you have your competition license already?

The question is just to determine what kind of advice would be better for you.

Just wondering - where are you located? - Jim

im in long beach ca. y?

I was just wondering where you are located as roll cages costs can vary with location, plus for what Nasa race region you might be near. If you can attend a Nasa event in Socal, you should be able to check out some of the HC cars and talk with the drivers as I believe that they have a large number of Honda Challenge H2 cars. As far as rollcages, there is a Road Racing/Autocross & Time Attack forum at http://honda-tech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19 and it has a thread for Race Fab / Roll cages at the top sticky section that may be of some help. One caution about Honda-Tech is to make sure to try to search for info before asking questions. - Jim

-okay so i need the main hoop - obviously

-the forward hoops following the a pillar down thru dash and a bar connecting them at top by windshield

-the diagonal tube along with the seat belt tube

-the rear braces from top of main hoop to shock mounts could be an x design

-door bars at at least one passenger bar and two for driver which could be an x design-with the bar that is already in door

unless i have nascar bars

-and if im right the dash bar is optional???

and some help with this one

-15.6.20 Inspection

A 3/16 inch inspection hole must be drilled in each of the required bars in a non-critical area for the purpose of

determining wall thickness. All welds, except those mounted to plates on the floor, must be accessible for

inspection (360 degrees).

-----this means all the above expect dash bar?

if im wrong please correct me....as im going to fabricate my own cage

The rear bracing bars must extend to the rear with 0 (zero) bends. If you want to do an X-design that is up to you. I would not do that unless it was in addition to the rear bracing bars (like my cage).

The inspection holes are on the main hoop (1) a rear bar (2) and a forward bar (3). Any optional bar does not require an inspection hole as it is optional.

Follow the diagram as far as basic design and number of bars and bends and angles. You can deviate from it slightly to account for tighter tolerances with your vehicle to get the cage as snug up in the car as possible.

can some one please explain to me tubing sizes?

15.6.18 Roll Cage Tubing Sizes

For the purposes of determining roll bar tubing sizes, vehicle weight is as raced, but without fuel and driver.

Note: There is an allowance of minus 0.010 inches on all tubing thicknesses. Minimum tubing size for the roll

cage is:

Up to 1500 lbs

1.375” x 0.095” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

1.500” x 0.080” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

1501 - 2500 lbs

1.500” x 0.095” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

1.500” x 0.120” ERW* (No issuance of log books for cars with ERW cages) *Note- Specifications listed only for

reference for inspection of grandfathered vehicles.

2501 - 3000 lbs

1.500” x 0.120” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

1.750” x 0.095” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

1.750” x 0.120” ERW* (No issuance of log books for cars with ERW cages) *Note- Specifications listed only for

3001 - 4000 lbs

1.750” x .120” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

No ERW allowed.

Over 4000 lbs

2.000” x 0.120” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

No ERW allowed.....

sorry if dumb question

Vehicle as raced minus driver and fuel (also known as empty) determines tubing size minimum.

For instance:

My class minimum weight (for PTE with my dyno reclass) is 2385lbs.

My vehicle with me and ballast and a few gallons of gas weighs 2400lbs.

Without me and ballast and gas it is 2175lbs. This number is what matters.

Therefore, my car requires the tubing to be at least 1.5" 0.095" DOM tubing (between 1501lbs and 2500lbs).

I chose to do 1.75" 0.095" DOM tubing, which is obviously oversized.

I did this in case minimum weight requirements change. I wouldn't be "grandfathered in" like ERW vehicle are now.

so correct me if im wrong...

if im going to run h2 with a b18c1 weight is 2400....

so ill have to go with this one...

1501 - 2500 lbs

1.500” x 0.095” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

1.500” x 0.120” ERW* (No issuance of log books for cars with ERW cages)

and what does this mean?

*Note- Specifications listed only for

what is grandfathered vehicles????

again sorry for dumb questions..

thanks...

Correct. 2400lbs is as raced weight with driver and fuel. Subtract driver and fuel and that is the weight the vehicle needs to be caged for.

*Note- Specifications listed only for

This *Note is only for vehicles that had an ERW cage and already had been race tech inspected prior to NASA not allowing ERW cages.

This applies to no new vehicles (none, zero, nada) for racing with NASA. Ignore it. Do not use ERW. It's that simple.

"2400lbs is as raced weight with driver and fuel. Subtract driver and fuel and that is the weight the vehicle needs to be caged for.

im still a little confused on this part "Subtract driver and fuel and that is the weight the vehicle needs to be caged for."

"2400lbs is as raced weight with driver and fuel. Subtract driver and fuel and that is the weight the vehicle needs to be caged for.

im still a little confused on this part "Subtract driver and fuel and that is the weight the vehicle needs to be caged for."

Ok. Let's take your car. Minimum weight for a H2 Limited Prep vehicle with a GSR is 2400lbs. That is the as raced weight, which is as you come off track after practice/qual/race with you and gas in the car.

Let's say you roll on the scales at 2410lbs after a qual session. Get our of the car and drain all the fuel. THAT is the weight you cage it for. If you weigh 154lbs and you drain 1 gallon of gas (overestimate approx 6lbs), you would cage the car as a 2250lb vehicle. That would fall into 1501-2500.

2410 (race weight) - 154 (you) - 6 (gas) = 2250 (vehicle minus driver and fuel)

so lets say i was to do h4 racing

car would have to wait 2500....

i would have to go with this one?

1501 - 2500 lbs

1.500” x 0.120” ERW* (No issuance of log books for cars with ERW cages) *Note- Specifications listed only for

but my car weight will have to be 2500 no more then that and if its more i would have to go with this one

2501 - 3000 lbs

1.500” x 0.120” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

1.750” x 0.095” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

1.750” x 0.120” ERW* (No issuance of log books for cars with ERW cages) *Note- Specifications listed only for

?

If you do H4 and the race weight minimum is 2500lbs, that includes you and fuel.

If you get out of the car, drain the fuel, and stay out of the car, then weigh the car minus you and fuel, that is how they base the weight of the car for cage tube size.

I don't know how else to explain it. Frankly, if you can't figure this out you shouldn't be fabricating your own cage. I wouldn't trust my life to someone who couldn't clearly define the minimum specifications of cage tubing for a racing organization.