Why isn't the FRS killing TTD?

Varkwso

Bolt in cages do not meet CCR I believe

per CCRs it is ok, though maybe not ideal of course

15.6.3 Installation

The cage may be removable or may be permanently welded, or any combination thereof, providing that all

aspects of the cage meet these rules.

re: Spec series - pick a PT class to build a group of these for and then once it's big enough THEN break it out as it's own class once the numbers warrant... say no to random class proliferation!

(If I had my own way at the regional level it'd be PT, ST, and SU as the only class options - bring your big boy pants and race against someone else, no 1st of 1s!)

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Emmanuel B.

• Varkwso

• hhdinyuma

It will be interesting to see how different combinations pan out for the car.

I sure wish we had the resources to do some real testing on the car - how much are Koni's worth from stock, and vs. coilovers, etc.

There is a blizzard of suspension options out there for this car - Vorschlag's MCE coilovers, RCE's Tarmac series, KW's (V1's & V3's), ST coilovers, Ohlin's, JRZ's etc. I hadn't heard of the Yellowspeed coilover before - just looked them up.

This car begs for a quality suspension. A quality single adjustable setup would seem to be the sweet spot for Spec racing. Some adjustability, without too many options to screw it up. . A well dialed in non-adjustable would work, too, but an cookie cutter option is likely to be compromised. You could definitely do worse than OEM...

I just added up the points for my planned setup - works out to 20 points

Coilovers: +5

Headerback exhaust (requires cat mod as cat integral to header): +5

235/40/17 Toyo RR's (+9-1) = +8

Antiswaybars : +2

No 225 RR's other than 15" size (which doesn't fit)

Several ways to make this work:

1) Give up on Sway bars

2) Give up on headers, maybe do +1 intake mod instead?

3) Use other tires: 225 C71 Hankooks come to mind. 225 R6's would work.

4) Give up on header, and use 225 A6's (probably the fastest option?)

I'd like to use the RR's because they are a sweet spot in price/durability/performance, I like how they feel (and I have Toyo bucks!).

Best dyno gains have been seen with a header+exhaust+tune. question is extra 4-8whp vs A6s?

Bolt in cages do not meet CCR I believe

per CCRs it is ok, though maybe not ideal of course

15.6.3 Installation

The cage may be removable or may be permanently welded, or any combination thereof, providing that all

aspects of the cage meet these rules.

re: Spec series - pick a PT class to build a group of these for and then once it's big enough THEN break it out as it's own class once the numbers warrant... say no to random class proliferation!

(If I had my own way at the regional level it'd be PT, ST, and SU as the only class options - bring your big boy pants and race against someone else, no 1st of 1s!)

It is always good to look at.CCR. It may have been thickness of metal vs car weight that caused issues for the one I recall.

Best dyno gains have been seen with a header+exhaust+tune. question is extra 4-8whp vs A6s?

I will take A6 over 4-8 rwhp...

Might want to consider that on a % basis - that'd be like 24-32whp (or more) on a % basis to compare to your Corvette stuff

I will take the grip.

One advantage the C5/6 has is all the development work on what works and what doesn't. And we shared data...

Working it out first is.fun, but expensive.

Certainly the fastest option. But with Toyo bucks in the bank, max available power plus discounted longer lasting tires could be the better option. Putting this in real perspective, this is all for bragging rights and $5 trophies.

It'll be interesting to see the variations in car setups.

4) Give up on header, and use 225 A6's (probably the fastest optioseen with a header+exhaust+tune. question is extra 4-8whp vs A6s?

Certainly the fastest option. But with Toyo bucks in the bank, max available power plus discounted longer lasting tires could be the better option. Putting this in real perspective, this is all for bragging rights and $5 trophies.

5 cars puts you into Hoosier tires...

4) Give up on header, and use 225 A6's (probably the fastest optioseen with a header+exhaust+tune. question is extra 4-8whp vs A6s?

5 cars puts you into Hoosier tires...

If you win

Peter

What do you mean "if I win"? I'll be driving an all-conquering, class killing Toybaru!

You won't be the only one!

Depends how class killing it really is...

All this talk of FRS/BRZ/Miata domination is making interior bits fall out of my 2014 TTD project

3176 is the goal!

An E36 should make a good race car base as well - bring it on!

or if I decide to showup

Sounds like TTD is getting interesting.

Peter

are you still converting your civic to D trim Peter?

Eventually, but right now staying in TTE trim until after my Left Coast trip this spring. Need a quiet car for Laguna Seca I do think it will be a competitive TTD car when built and the right driver, not me but am working on getting better. Like you I think TTD is going to easily go sub 2:30 at Sebring in the near future.

Peter

What the heck are you taking the civic all the way to laguna for?

are you planning running D at nationals this year? or Ian?

Yes, sub 2:30's are possible in D at sebring.

However, unless I have a chance at tires, I probably wont run nasa fl this year.

My plans right now are to run Barber in feb because thats my favorite track in the country and thats when the redevelopment starts with all my changes. From there on out, I will most likely only run at Road Atlanta for obvious reasons

Laguna, Sears Point, Thunderhill, ORP, and any other track I can fit in while I am out there. In other words a Bucket List trip.

I agree with Jon gotta support NASA FL and you won't get 5 cars in TTD if everybody has that attitude.

Nationals will be me as Cannon Fodder for the fast cars. Ian is supposed to have his S2000 ready for ST3/TT3.

Peter

I know I know. We will see. Its not that I don't want to. But the budget is tight and I want all my effort$ to go towards being as competitive as can be. Sebring and Road Atlanta require a pretty different setup, so anything learned about the car at sebring is irrelevant for that matter.

When are you going out west? That should be fun. I have a bunch of laps at Sonoma and Laguna if you need some fly out help.

If Ian is busy ofcourse...