Want to make sure I understand dyno re-classing

mcglsr2

Hey all, I want to make sure I understand how the dyno re-classing works. I'll use an example:

My car's base class is TTE*. I change the heads on my car. I get a dyno result, and submit that and the minimum comp weight to Greg. Let's assume the power/weight ratio puts me in TTD as my base class.

1) Will I get a * or ** after the class based on where I sit in the power to weight ratio?

I no longer take points for Engine mods or Weight reduction mods. My new cutoff for power to weight in TTD is 14.25:1. Then I take my points for other stuff that I mod. Let's say the number of points bumps me to TTC. The cutoff of power to weight for TTC is 12.00:1.

So now I'm in TTC.

2) If I change something to increase power to get closer to the 12.00:1 cutoff, I will have to resubmit my car for dyno re-classification, which will most likely put me in TTC as a base class. Correct?

3) If #2 above is true, that means the points I have already taken get applied again (excluding Engine and Weight reduction), and if over 19 means I'll get bumped to TTB. Correct?

Thanks in advance!

It's tough to say for sure what Greg will return, so I'd hold my breath until you see what you get back. It could be TTE**, TTD, TTD*, TT3, who knows.

You do no longer worry about sections B or C when using the reclass, however, YOU ARE LOCKED IN at the min weight and max whp Greg gives you back also when using that reclass. Period. To change those figures, you'll have to get a new reclass. Or you can choose to go back to points-for-parts / points for weight from sections B and C respectively of course.

The points you have left over to spend will also depend on the base class you get back. You could be given TTD no-stars, have 19 to spend to max out in D or 39 in C, or you could have an asterix or two that cuts into that. Tough to say. But if you're on the reclass you can at no time come in under weight or dyno over what you're given back.

If you have a car that handles well and/or stops well, don't expect to be given a figure that's right on top of the hp/weight cap for that base class. Cars that can't turn or stop well need to make the time back on the straight via being on those cap #s.

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm struggling to decide if I want to take the points for B & C or to go the re-class route. I think I want to end up TTC but I'm really low on power right now. Trying to figure out how to be a little more competitive.

might be wise to "back into" what your desired base class would be starting from maxed out in the class you want to compete, less however many points you wanted to spend elsewhere outside of sections B & C, and then ask for that base class with your reclassification.

Let's say you wanted to have slightly narrower (-10mm) than base width Hoosier As, 7pts in suspension, and use your reclass for hp increases and/or weight reduction. You'd have 12pts in tires, 7 in suspension, and no other points (B&C stuff free via reclass) for a total of 19pts. Thus to end up at the top of TTC, you'd want a TTC no-stars reclassification from Greg (and so on through all the various other combinations of start and end points, mods packages, etc... complex for sure).

The excel tool that I've built really helps with these what-ifs when used right. Right now it says "PT_" instead of TT, but the car classing is the same. It's also last year's version, but I don't recall any major changes between then and now. I'm planning on refreshing it for 2014.... we'll see though. PM me your email and I can attach and send it over to you if you want it.

Here's the key to hit a specific class: I sent Greg an email specifically wanting a TTE base (no * or **) and asked for a reclass for my car with a minimum competition weight of 2350lbs. What I wanted from him was my maximum whp and an email saying a-ok. (You could do the inverse and ask for a minimum comp weight at Xwhp)

You send him class and weight, he gives you whp. You send him class and whp, he gives you weight. You send him whp and weight, he sends you class. First two take some faith and luck; third one is a crapshoot.

• 1 month later...
  • National Staff
If one reclasses to a higher class, in this example TTE to TTD, do they get the associated "base class" tire size of TTD?

Page 28 of the PT Rules (not sure what page for the new TT Rules yet)

Once a vehicle is re-classed based on Dyno testing and Minimum Competition Weight, an

Official Re-class e-mail will be sent to the competitor, stating the new base class, the new base

tire size, and the maximum Dyno horsepower and Minimum Competition Weight limits, as well

as any other specific limitations for that particular re-classification. The new base tire size will

match the new base class. The competitor will then complete the PT Car Classification Form,

but will not assess any points for Section 5.3.B (Weight Reduction) or 5.3.C (Engine).

Modification Points will be assessed for all other non-BTM modifications. The competitor must

not exceed the limits of either power or weight listed in the Dyno Re-class e-mail in order to

prevent disqualification. If the vehicle is modified, and the power level or weight has changed, a

new request for Re-class must be sent to the National PT Director.