Open or closed face helmets?

DerekFSU

I'm attending my first NASA event next month and will be in HDPE 1. I have a closed face helmet from drag racing but didn't know what most folks prefer for road racing with it being on for much longer. I'd also imagine most folks don't use their AC. Any input? Thanks.

• Members

I guess it's personal preference but from a safety standpoint, a closed faced is much better and that's what I use. Stick with the one you got, use the face shield, and you'll be glad you did if a rock comes through your front windshield at over 100 mph!!!!

And BTW, welcome to NASA and go out there and have a GREAT time!

Peace out,

Ed

Even more to the point, you'd be amazed what can find it's way through your side window at speed! Definitely closed-face and visor down. You'll also be in better shape when (not if!) you're ready to get a head and neck restraint.

I guess it's personal preference but from a safety standpoint, a closed faced is much better and that's what I use. Stick with the one you got, use the face shield, and you'll be glad you did if a rock comes through your front windshield at over 100 mph!!!!

And BTW, welcome to NASA and go out there and have a GREAT time!

Peace out,

Ed

Thanks. Soooo, about the whole "rock coming though the front windshield at over 100mph!!!"- Happen often?

It has happened at least once, and it will happen again.

Driving to work this morning, I had my window down and a pebble from a truck ahead of me hit me in the cheek.

I'll second what Vaughn says. I've had chunks of tire rubber come through the side window on more than one occasion and strike my helmet and faceshield.

Not to mention the odd deer coming through the windshield. I know of at least one person who wishes he'd grabbed his full face helmet instead of his open face helmet one hot July day. Besides, in a severe wreck your face is likely to hit various parts of the interior, even with a harness. And if you think a rock or deer is unlikely, you can certainly imagine someone losing a wheel in front of you. If that bounces up in front of your windshield at speed it will go right through.

I'm don't want to scare you, NASA HPDE events are as safe as any high speed driving can be. You buy a helmet for what might happen, even though you hope it never does. Even though something like that will probably never happen to you, once you've seen something similar happen to anyone the choice is obvious.

Closed-face helmet, always, for me. I've had tire marbles come into the cab and bonk me on the "face" of the helmet a number of times. I really wouldn't want to take a crack in the noggin from one of those. It may be rubber, but it's pretty hard and _moving_ when it whacks you.

I wear a closed face.. but in the summer here in Arizona i usually have the visor up cuz its just to damn hot. Ive been hit in the face tons of times with rocks and its not to bad... as long as you dont get hit in the eye.

• 1 month later...

Having responded to a driver who's car went out of control on corner entry, tripped at about 85mph and then did several rolls in the air before "crash landing", I can only recommend a closed face helmet. The driver had several painful dental injuries in the wreck (besides a wrist fracture too) and those facial injuries would have been avoided if he had a full face helmet. If you like the face you have and feel your brain is "worth it" protect it the most with a full face helmet.

Barry H.

• 2 months later...

Don't mean to bring up an old topic, but being new to the game I was going to ask a similair question(s). I plan on attending events this 06' season and was going to buy an open face helmet. (SA2000 Rated)

My reasoning is that I wear glasses and am afriad they would fog up inside a closed face helmet. I was also concerned about possible side vision restrictions. In addition to the weight factor, I like being able to move my head around unencumbered.

At the same time I understand the protection a closed face helmet provides. I to have been hit in the face by debris on the freeway from big rigs and what not. I have no track experience but have been in a nasty crash with my old 68 Mustang. I only had the factory lap belt and took my face into the steering wheel. By shear luck I missed my teeth and nose but instead split the inside of my lip wide open requiring 18 stitches. I couldnt smile for 3 weeks

I currently plan on running my 85' BMW and it has a more modern 3 point system and is in great working order. It locks down and holds you firm in the seat when driving gets a little spirited. I really would like to go with a open face for the above mentioned reasons as well a nice price point for someone who is only at the entry level.

I am open to any additional advice and comments regarding this matter.

Thanks,

Personally, Robert, I'd go with a closed face helmet and some anti-fog treatment for the glasses. I've never noticed a problem with peripheral vision with my closed face helmets, and I don't wear glasses, so it should be even more noticable (I'd think) than for someone wearing glasses.

Even with a closed face helmet, I even keep the visor closed. It's way too easy for stuff to get into your face and eyes with less protection than that. One of the biggest reasons, IMO, is if you ever have a fire in the car. You really don't want to look down into the fire unprotected to undo your harness or steering wheel QR or anything like that. Some people will disagree, so YMMV (your mileage may vary).

• National Staff

Robert, I would definitely get the closed face helmet. Even if you decided to take the face shield off after trying it, having the extra cheek, chin, and upper anterior neck protection is worth it. Some of the helmets have much wider openings for vision, wearing glasses, etc. than others, so check them for that. I use a Simpson Super Voyager, and it has a wide opening.

I'll second that, I wear glasses and have a Simpson Voyager for the larger eyeport. Bell M2's are another helmet with a large eyeport preferred by eyeglass wearers. I would imagine most of the full line helmet companies offer an expanded eyeport helmet. I run with the visor removed to avoid fogging my glasses since the little post stopped holding the visor open, but before that just leaving the visor slightly open was enough.

Thank you gentlemen,

I guess the choice is clear, I will go with a closed face and check out some of the helmets mentioned. Small price to pay for full face protection. Plan on getting some gloves as well. I saw a video of a Porsche get flipped on it roof and the windsheild broke and glass was going everywhere and these guys didn't have any gloves to protect their hands as they where trying to brace themsleves.

You guys are very helpful and I hope to meet some of you at the willow springs event in feburary.

Thanks Again,