Do I need to reclass a E36 M3 motor swap between 96-99 chass

slipstream0000

I had a 98 M3 that I lost in turn 2 at the Sonoma event a couple weeks ago. The motor is ok and I'm looking for a new chassis to swap everything into but I'm wondering if I'll have to do a dyno reclass if the chassis isn't a 98. 96-99 e36 M3 all came with the s52 motor so there won't be any performance gain from either of those years.

Since the West coast Nationals is at Somona this year I plan on attending but I want to make absolutely sure that I won't be in violation of any rules if I happen to find a 96, 97 or 99 chassis to run.

if there are ANY differences, no matter how slight, you'll probably want to document what they are and ask Greg and you may have to run under a reclass. If there really are ZERO differences at all, then it'll be fine I bet, but it appears you still have to ask for approval.

Read 6.6 in the TT rules - motors and engine parts are specifically mentioned at the end.

Get Clarification from Greg, but it clearly states if you are doing the ENTIRE assembly it can be moved over.

Since you are doing an 96-99 motor into a 96-99 chassis I doubt you will have any issue, considering Greg even allowed a guy with a 1995 M3 that came stock with an S50 to do an S52 (as long as it was whole assembly).

Get Clarification from Greg, but it clearly states if you are doing the ENTIRE assembly it can be moved over.

Since you are doing an 96-99 motor into a 96-99 chassis I doubt you will have any issue, considering Greg even allowed a guy with a 1995 M3 that came stock with an S50 to do an S52 (as long as it was whole assembly).

Hmm. Didn't know that. Thanks!

The way the last sentece is written under 6.6 I would ask for approval with anything engine related. It's probably going to be a rubber stamped yes (since they are very likely identical and all classed on the same line) and then you'll be covered, but, without it... dunno.

Thank you for pointing out the last paragraph in section 6.6 section as it seems to talk about exactly what I'm facing.

It's nice to know that in the past a s52 was allowed to be transplanted in a 95 that originally came with a s50, but I don't know the details behind that request. Also, I don't think that a motor would be considered an assembly. How I interpret the rule is an assembly being a collection of 2 or more parts fitted together to create a single assembled part, as in a power steering pump for example. I guess you could argue that the entire motor is an assembly, but I don't think that's how the rule is written.

Greg ultimately is the final say in this so I'll contact him. Maybe he'll chime in on this thread and let us all know.

• National Staff

As long as it is exactly the same engine (as in the 96-99), then it is not really a swap, just a replacement. If you went to purchase one from the OEM, you would not be able to distinguish any differences between them (assuming that the OEM still has any, etc.). For those that wanted to swap a 96-99 engine into a 95, they either need to Dyno re-class, or swap everything, including the ECU and wire harness, and either way, it requires National approval and an Official swap approval e-mail.