bob-e

ptb/ptc car counts

reserved
I think the real question should be; How do we entice those drivers in TT to make the jump to wheel to wheel? In the SE you had five TTB cars in December and five TTE cars as well. If you could get just a couple of those guys to make the transition that would be a start. My plan is to finish my car while doing TT then go to comp school. I'm sure most TT'ers like the low cost because of the instructor option but there has to be some of them that consider it a stepping stone like you did Bob.

I ran TTB last year in Mid-A region, but planning on comp school and PTB for 2014. Also one other guy in Mid-A TTB planning on the same transition. So there are a few of us out there!!!!!!!

fox4life

I ran TTB last year in Mid-A region, but planning on comp school and PTB for 2014. Also one otherthat guy in Mid-A TTB planning on the same transition. So there are a few of us out there!!!!!!!

Same with me, I ran TTB in great lakes/Midwest last year and am planning on comp school this spring and PTB this year. I know of at least one other person who is doing the same.

ScottBell

That said, I wouldn't totally be opposed to using an ST-like formula on a regional level to lump smaller car-count classes together to at least get people racing more than 0-1-2 cars - heck, if I was a regional director I'd be very tempted to put every class with less than 5 or so cars over into the PT/ST/SU system and bump them up the ladder until that 5+ is reached.

Ken, Its been at least 15 years since I've looked at an auto-x rule set, but SCCA used to have a bump chart that told you what class to put singletons into. How about something like that?

Or if I ruled the world my NASA region would class everyone with the endurance rules, and that's how many trophies and regional champions we would have. The great thing about NASA is that you don't have to accumulate points in class to qualify for nationals, so it really doesn't matter what class you race in.

Because of NASA's structure they are in the perfect position to do something about class proliferation, but alas, they keep adding classes.

Greg G.

Because of NASA's structure they are in the perfect position to do something about class proliferation, but alas, they keep adding classes.

Not 100% true, Scott. PTA is gone, forcing some to move to PTB, and others to move to ST. So, we have just five PT classes now. ST has gone from a potential of six classes ST1,2,3 and STR1,2,3, down to just three (ST1, ST2, and ST3). Honda Challenge is down to three from six (H1-5 and HU). Some of the Spec classes don't make it, like Spec Focus, and we used to have National classes for Legends, TR's, and others. Other Spec classes sprout up for various reasons. One problem is that not everybody can see the big picture, and some want their own little niche, even it is very lonesome. These two statements are ironically often heard from the same folks, "Take away my niche, and I'm leaving." and "Why aren't the class sizes bigger, not enough is being done to grow them." Nice paradox. There are some in NASA that agree that there should be fewer classes, with less overlap of options for some models. Certain car models are legal to run in four different series (over 12 or more different classes), so is it a big surprise that those owners move around and at times help to destabilize a class or series? It may not help, but at least you can know that the debate internally is as big as externally.

ScottBell

It may not help, but at least you can know that the debate internally is as big as externally.

That warms my heart. I'll admit that I was not aware that STR was completely eliminated.

I try not to even think about spec classes, because there are only 2 ways to make them work long term:

- a claiming rule

- the sanctioning body is the only supplier for the series

The first works for your local dirt track, the second works for series like spec Renault now Ford. Giving credit where it's due I'm impressed by the staying power of E30 in my area, but give me enough budget and I guarantee that I can destroy it and other any spec series by being the only person that ever wins. Classes like spec Miata are taking so long to die simply because there were so many people in the beginning.

I think I've said this before. Eliminate the paradox you mention by not giving them a choice. For every person you loose you will attract three by having a larger field in whatever class. NASA has a real gem in the PT/ST/TT rule set and the cross over to endurance classes. Leverage those rules to the benefit of the sport.

NASCAR is coming back to road racing and most people don't realize they sanction events down to the local level. What's Jim Pantas going to do when the new owners of Road Atlanta give racing customers the choice between a participation trophy or a 30 car field?

To be perfectly honest, at this point in time. NASA is about to lose me to SCCA STL. X displacement = Y weight on US available motors with no crazy internal modifications and a C/R limit, limited aero, DOT tires with a rim width limit, stock suspension pickups with affordable shocks….

I go to go to a party. Happy new year to everyone.

kbrew8991

Scott - that sounds like a good PT car to me as well dyno reclass, add up the points, done. Won't be D anymore duh but should still fit in well. I think the amt of mods STL/U has is still far too wild for my tastes, but I can see the appeal if you're a big time modder and want to deal with that wild an improved jalopy every day at the track.

ScottBell

Yea, I'm tired of spending money to go slower. My freshened motor has turned out to make just a bit too much power to run the weight I think makes for a fun car to drive. As the car sits with no fuel it is 4 pounds under having 39 points, so unless I run it out of gas its perfect. That's also taking 6 points for cam pulleys, so 20 hp is only a few hundred bucks on top of the cubic money and time I now have in this car. It also makes for a car I could double dip into STL on occasion and not be at the back.

I'm about to send in for a re-class with this motor's dyno and a weight range I can realistically make. To stay in D I know I will have to run well over 2500lb, and I'm just not having as much fun in a car that heavy. It looks like C for me for at least the beginning of this year.

toyzforme

Well after sending in my reclass request Greg came back and said my Spitfire with a rotary swap would be PTD +14 points, but after I add in all the other points for stuff it bumps me up to PTB so it looks like I am going to try and give Bob-e here in the southeast division a run for the money. I hope it will be better competition that running in ST3. Its no fun running with guys who have V-8s in the car and just walk away from me. So Bob-e here I come ready or not LOL

The picture below was before I finished out the cage and other stuff to make it race ready to pass tech.

20131228_151206.jpg

brkntrxn

Glad to see you got the Spitfire re classed. It should slot into PTB very nicely.

toyzforme
Glad to see you got the Spitfire re classed. It should slot into PTB very nicely.

Thanks Kevin, I am in the process of getting it ready for Daytona. At road atlanta with the synchros going out on the tranny and then the axle broke on the last lap I have to make this thing more reliable LOL. I don't have the gearing for the big tracks but CMP and Roebling I can hang with the best of them LOL. Daytona should be fun

RockLobster

I have a high school crush on the rotary powered spitfire...

toyzforme
I have a high school crush on the rotary powered spitfire...

They are kinda fun aren't they LOL. If I could just finish a race without braking an axle it might be more fun. Car is strong on short courses but lacks top speed on tracks like Road Atlanta