RA1 phase out period question

Gabe O.

• Members

Jeremy-

A friend of mine and I were discussing the tire phase in period the other day and there seems to be some confusion about the phase out period of the RA1, for dry weather races.

Here is what our schedule looks like for the first 3 events:

January 11 & 12 – Wild Horse Pass (WHP) East Track

February 8 & 9 – Chuckwalla

March 1 & 2 – Wild Horse Pass (WHP) East Track

My interpretation of this...

Beginning in February of 2014, NASA will allow the new Proxes RR for dry weather competition use in the American Iron, Camaro Mustang Challenge, Honda Challenge, Factory Five Challenge, and 986 Spec classes. These classes will still be permitted to use the Proxes RA1 tire for the first two events of the 2014 season in each NASA region for dry weather competition and may use the Proxes RA1 at any time during the 2014 season for wet weather competition.

....is that the RA1 would be the spec tire for our first event of 2014 on January 11/12.

The RA1 or RR would be allowed for our second event of 2014 on February 8/9.

The third event of the season for us, March 1/2, would require that the RR be the spec tire for this event. The RA1 would not be legal for use at the March 1/2 event or any event going forward for dry weather racing.

My friend's interpretation was that the RA1 could still be used for dry weather racing at the February and March events since those are the first 2 events after the February 1 phase in of the RR per the press release on the NASA website.

Can you please clarify? Thanks.

Gabe,

My take on this was that i am going to use my RA1's for January, Then switch to the RR for the February race. I am permitted to still use the RA1 in the February race if i need to and have not purchased the RR yet. This is my "phase in" if i still have unused RA1's. But effective February i am permitted to use the RR tire and all events AFTER February are RR only.

Gabe,

My take on this was that i am going to use my RA1's for January, Then switch to the RR for the February race. I am permitted to still use the RA1 in the February race if i need to and have not purchased the RR yet. This is my "phase in" if i still have unused RA1's. But effective February i am permitted to use the RR tire and all events AFTER February are RR only.

So if the "phase-in" period of the RR starts Feb 1st and the "phase-out" period of the RA1 is for the first 2 races of 2014, which one supersedes?

Our first race takes place PRIOR to the phase-in period of the RR. Therefore, the RA1 is MANDATORY in Jan. That means the phase-out period of the RA1, by definition, could not begin until the phase-in period begins.

I see what you mean. I just plan on running the RR in february and not worry about the RA1 anymore. If you have leftovers just use them as rains, i plan on buying couple just for rains anyway.

• National Staff

Gabe,

My take is exactly like you.

First two events of 2014, the RA1 can be used. After that, it's RR.

If your first event is in Jan, then it's still your first event and thus counts as one of your RA1 weekends.

You guys are on the RA1 for Jan and after that allowed the RR!

Thanks for asking for clarification.