AMB/MyLaps Tran X 260 Direct Powered Transponder

JC Moons

Is it just me or have these AMB transponders gotten way over priced? I remember seeing these a couple years back at around 250 bucks now there closer to 480. Unless they improve my lap times they are really priced over there real value.

That being said does anyone know where there are any deals on these new or used. Preferrably the hard wire unit.

Thanks Chris

I wish they were $250 a couple of years ago! I bought my rechargeable on EBay for $360 used (only once as a back-up; MyLaps proved so) in 2009. They were, if memory serves right, about $429 new then and I knew I got a heck of a deal.

• 2 months later...

I use my old one from my karting days. It has to be mounted lower to the ground and is battery powered, but I'd guess you could find them for under $200 used these days. AMB TranX 160

AMB has a stranglehold on the market.

I wouldn't recommend the kart or RC transponders - may work under optimal conditions some of the time but that's all best case type scenarios...

I wouldn't recommend the kart or RC transponders - may work under optimal conditions some of the time but that's all best case type scenarios...

Not only that, but also the TT rules (section 10.2) specify the 260 red model, not the 160 yellow gokart ones.

I have seen the yellow ones not work also...

It would be nice to have another option that was more economical. I got lucky a few years ago and bought a rechargeable unit for around $250. I started looking at the hard wired units about 6 months ago and thought the prices have crept up noticeably.

short term the subscription based option is more economical

otherwise yeah they've got everyone (club side of things too) by the ______

The entire AMB system is proprietary, and nearly every track has it, so guess what? They command the prices, and nobody has a choice.

Tag Heuer tried to come out with a system that would piggyback onto AMB's and let you buy cheaper transponders. Click here to see how that one seems to have ended:

The only "deals" that you will find on new transponders is a vendor who gives you free shipping. Otherwise, the prices all appear to be fixed or within a few dollars of each other.

As new transponder prices have increased, so have used transponder prices.

Many people buy a $1200 set of new tires without blinking, but they run like mad from a one-time $450 transponder purchase.

I have reasonable rentals, if you don't want to spend a big chunk all at once and/or you won't use it very often...

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
short term the subscription based option is more economical

otherwise yeah they've got everyone (club side of things too) by the ______

This is what I did for this year. About $150 for a years subscription. Saves some bones in the short term.