Winter Clipper Videos

Darrel

I hope the damage isn't too bad! Think you can still make MSRC?

nope frame is bent. not sure if its repairable or not.. I know the accident was avoidable.. not smart driving on the thunder roadster...

I just sent you the link to the video. It was also sent to Shawn, Mike, & Jim.

Thanks John for sending

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brkntrxn

• heavychevy

• kbrew8991

• sperkins

you're in a fast car, I'm in a very slow car, still trying to compete in my class, get the fastest lap I can … am I supposed to just get out of your way when you start catching us TTF/TTE cars towards the end of the session ?

I guess the question is, who's "hot" lap is more important ?

I'm not asking this in a snarky way, it's a serious question … it takes me most of the allotted time to work up to my best pace … so my best laps tend to be towards the end of each session

Walter,

Very valid question. My comments were not directed towards any of the TTF or TTE drivers. I rarely have any issues with you guys, if ever. But it seems like EVERY event in Time Trials those of us in the upper end of the field get caught up by a front runner that runs one hot lap and then backs off and gets in the way.

If you watch Scott, he timed it perfectly. He ran hard until a good area to pull over, then tucked back in behind me and got back up to speed to stay out of the way. It was a great example of what a front running time trial car SHOULD do out of respect of everyone else. Your cool off lap doesn't have to be 5/10s, they can drive around the paddock three times and accomplish the same cool off.

thanks for say that … and I understood what you were saying about Scott … it just seems like sometimes I've finally reached the point were I've sucked up enough to get my "fast" times, and there still are front of the pack cars on track turning quick laps … I don't want to mess up their times, but at the same time I want the best lap I can run too

I just sent you the link to the video. It was also sent to Shawn, Mike, & Jim.

I love it (/sarcasm). Hey, there's this in class battle going on let me just go ahead and drive right through the middle of it and knock one of the guys off in the process. Awesome race craft there guys. Right up there with your race report from Sonny bragging about two different people getting knocked off track at the start of the race. At least those are in class battles...

Right up there with your race report from Sonny bragging about two different people getting knocked off track at the start of the race. At least those are in class battles...

Bragging?! I thought those moves were atrocious! No bragging on my part. I was just trying to point how bad those drivers (#86 & #26) are. If you'll remember, #26 is the same guy who took me out in T1 at Rd-A last August.

How are they still racing if it's just the same two guys that are bad? (and if so there's a 3rd guy #11... )

Left unmitigated this is the kind of stuff that can sew a bad reputation. I "grew up" with y'alls region and you guys never had a bad reputation before.

How are they still racing if it's just the same two guys that are bad? (and if so there's a 3rd guy #11... )

Left unmitigated this is the kind of stuff that can sew a bad reputation. I "grew up" with y'alls region and you guys never had a ba

d reputation before.[/quote

I was the victim of #86's horrific driving--ruined my entire weekend and wrecking my car. His excuse was he" lost his brakes", but yet managed to continue and finish the race leaving me broken on the side of the track. No apology, no real punishment(I was the one punished for his lack of judgement) other than a DQ--and I am left footing the bill. You be the judge

. Extremely hard fought race between M. Brooks #4, Nolan #3 & I. There wasn't a second in the race where we weren't battling one another. I started in 5th & finished 3rd.

Great racing between you, Ralph and Mike. As the TR director, it makes me proud to see that much close racing with all of you giving each other room. If everyone in the TR group would show that much respect for each other and cars in other classes, mine and Randy's job would be much easier and we would all stay off the poppy board. Again great job, I sure wish I would have been there to join you.

Walter,

Very valid question. My comments were not directed towards any of the TTF or TTE drivers. I rarely have any issues with you guys, if ever. But it seems like EVERY event in Time Trials those of us in the upper end of the field get caught up by a front runner that runs one hot lap and then backs off and gets in the way.

If you watch Scott, he timed it perfectly. He ran hard until a good area to pull over, then tucked back in behind me and got back up to speed to stay out of the way. It was a great example of what a front running time trial car SHOULD do out of respect of everyone else. Your cool off lap doesn't have to be 5/10s, they can drive around the paddock three times and accomplish the same cool off.

Try as I might, I still got in the way a couple of times, took me a while to figure out that you do have to go 8/10's on the cool down lap not to get in the way. At Barber, the flow of the track makes it really hard not impede someone's lap if you are being passed. If you get caught up before 11, you basically have to go almost full speed into the pits to get out of the way.

We got screwed too, by a couple of lone rangers running 20 seconds behind the rest of the field at the end of one lap. On Sunday (this same session) Reese caught one dude before the end of the FIRST HOT LAP!! I had to pass this car going into Turn 5 on the inside on the second lap, and Reese cooling down in front was on the outside of the turn. Basically had to turn on a dime. And this was my fastest lap. Another one got us both on Saturday, caught him second lap going into turn 14, had to wait. Lost a second. Happened 3 times (I did 5 sessions).

This was the oft requested SpecE30 Saturday Blitz video with a great view of the lap 1 incident (this totaled out one rental car, but the other was fixed to race again on Sunday) after the hairpin:

That incident, unfortunately, resulted in a ton of mud on my windshield which definitely didn't help the visibility with the sun already coming through my horrible condition windshield. I was really struggling to find track out and brake markers when going into the sun.

I started the race 11th, and I got a great start and got by one of the Harness boys and then had a great run on Clark coming out of the hairpin when the incident occurred and I backed off a little losing that run. It really then all came down to traffic management and trying to keep Sumpter Smith behind me. I missed a shift coming out of the carousel and did a money shift but luckily got the clutch back in quickly allowing Sumpter to really close the gap. He did get by me at one point, but I was able to take the position back on the long back straight. We then continued the fight and caught the two Harness boys who looked like they were having a great brotherly battle. The only other drama was with a Porsche 996 who took the checkered flag right behind me and Sumpter who were on our white flag lap. He stayed behind us initially but then passed Sumpter after the hairpin and stayed back and then decided to take a run at me out of the museum turn and I had to check up for the esses on the back straight which let Sumpter get a run. Then the 996 threw out the anchor in the corner after the tunnel turn and I again had to check up. I had no idea what he was doing and I lost focus and blew the 2nd to last corner as I looked for the 996 to finally realize he went to pit in. I had the worst line ever for the final corner but luckily Sumpter was still behind and I utilized all of my track out which made him have to check up, and I held on to finish 8th.

Sunday video:

I started the race 11th once again. I didn't get a great start in this race, and lost a position to Sumpter on lap 1. I got a great view of Harness tracking out a little too wide in the tunnel turn hoping he would keep the wheel straight and not hook back across. On lap 3 I was able to take advantage of Sumpter and Clark trying two wide in the esses on the back straight with Sumpter getting the worst of it and giving me a run to make the pass stick. I then got to battle both Michael Harness and Clark for most of the race. I got by Clark at one point when he and Harness were fighting each other entering the hairpin and I took the better line and got a great run exiting the hairpin. He then went back by me in the next brake zone. Ended up finishing 9th.

Reese caught one dude before the end of the FIRST HOT LAP!! .

That seems strange. Has anyone done the math to see if that's possible without a late grid release?

Lead car runs a 1:28, the last car runs a 1:58 (or whatever it was) making a 30 second difference plus the gap between the two taking the green?

I guess it's possible?

I was just trying to point how bad those drivers are.

I would have to agree Sonny. I saw plenty of less than stellar driving from a lot of folks in both of the Lightning Races.

Reese caught one dude before the end of the FIRST HOT LAP!! .

That seems strange. Has anyone done the math to see if that's possible without a late grid release?

Lead car runs a 1:28, the last car runs a 1:58 (or whatever it was) making a 30 second difference plus the gap between the two taking the green?

I guess it's possible?

No, not possible! Reese caught him on the front straight. So Reese would have done a full lap by the time this car made it to S/F from the double yellow out lap. I passed him in turn 5 and did not see another car on the rest of my lap.

It was the orange/blue Miata and I'm fairly sure he was the guy that broke the spec miata lap record and won TTE. He was not slow at all.

Either he got on track late, or got to grid late and was at the back of the line and hung back for some open track before the back markers.

I was the victim of #86's horrific driving--ruined my entire weekend and wrecking my car. His excuse was he" lost his brakes", but yet managed to continue and finish the race leaving me broken on the side of the track. No apology, no real punishment(I was the one punished for his lack of judgement) other than a DQ--and I am left footing the bill. You be the judge

Wow, I'm the driver of TR #110, I'm also the guy that helped you load your crashed car at RA a while back after you were blamed for a similar incident on lap 1 with Drew, at the time I kinda thought a lot of people were giving you a hard time for a racing incident, meaning if your going to push hard, you will make mistakes, so it helps to remember when you get hit that the next time you might be the one doing the hitting.

I'm also the one who brought Brandon Adams into Nasa from drifting, instructed him and helped him get a comp license, and in my opinion he's a good driver for what that's worth. He's driven one of my cars in the Enduro series and PT, and his Corolla in PT for about 3 years without incident. This was Brandon's first race in a TR.

as for the above quote, I believe you raced on Sunday, and went off all by yourself. Brandon's excuse for the incident on Saturday was that his front brakes locked after turning the bias to far (we had just talked to rob who told us that usually you had to turn the brake bias a lot to make a difference) and he finished the race because he adjusted it back. Did he make a mistake? yes. Did he admit it? yes. I can't speak any more to that because the incident happened behind me, I didn't see it firsthand, except for the videos. When he went to apologize you raised hell and cussed and would not let him say much of anything, you followed him back to our pit area after he walked away from you as you continued to yell and cuss the whole time.

You continued to yell and cuss even as Jim tried to get you two together after that to talk. His punishment was a DQ for saturday and to start in the back and stay there on Sunday. As for the bill, Brandon and I agreed right after the race that we would offer to fix your car and he was going to offer that with his apology before you started your tirade of yelling and cussing. I would advise that we learn to work this out diplomatically amongst ourselves before we end up just riding around afraid to pass in fear of touching someone (I personally want to be raced hard, rubbed and bumped. Racing, that's what I'm here for).

As for how he reacted to you, well all I can say if someone acts that way to me while I am trying to apologize I can assure you that it won't go nearly that well. I just wanted to make sure everyone has more of the facts since you want everyone to "be the judge".

Jeff

No, not possible! Reese caught him on the front straight. So Reese would have done a full lap by the time this car made it to S/F from the double yellow out lap. I passed him in turn 5 and did not see another car on the rest of my lap.

It was the orange/blue Miata and I'm fairly sure he was the guy that broke the spec miata lap record and won TTE. He was not slow at all.

Either he got on track late, or got to grid late and was at the back of the line and hung back for some open track before the back markers.

My video shows the exact same thing. I was going to go for a 2nd hot lap, but gave up when I caught up with that Miata heading into T5.

You can see it here at the 4:10 mark here in Kevin's video:

I was already past before Mike got hit, and didn't see all of the festivities after the race, so I can't comment on that. However, from watching video from multiple cars, brakes were not the issue. It looked like he either forgot where he was on the track, or thought the car had magical suction to the ground and reverse jet thrusters to slow him down. From where he pulled out from behind another car and continued accelerating past everyone before ever touching the brakes, he had absolutely zero chance of make that turn. Not even close.

We can all make mistakes, and like I said, I didn't see all of the after race fireworks, but a brake issue isn't what caused that wreck.

As for Sunday's race, Mike had a mechanical failure. Was it caused from the t-bone impact on Sat? Maybe, maybe not. But he didn't take himself "off course" on Sunday, except to get out of the way.

I was already past before Mike got hit, and didn't see all of the festivities after the race, so I can't comment on that. However, from watching video from multiple cars, brakes were not the issue. It looked like he either forgot where he was on the track, or thought the car had magical suction to the ground and reverse jet thrusters to slow him down. From where he pulled out from behind another car and continued accelerating past everyone before ever touching the brakes, he had absolutely zero chance of make that turn. Not even close.

We can all make mistakes, and like I said, I didn't see all of the after race fireworks, but a brake issue isn't what caused that wreck.

As for Sunday's race, Mike had a mechanical failure. Was it caused from the t-bone impact on Sat? Maybe, maybe not. But he didn't take himself "off course" on Sunday, except to get out of the way.

I didn't say brakes were the issue, I said that was the excuse he might have herd if it had not been for all the chin music.

I don't know how much you can tell from the all telling videos since you didn't notice that he didn't get t-boned, he got hit on the left front tire.

and he did take himself off course, whatever the reason.

I'm just saying his excuse of brake issues doesn't matter in this case, as there's no way he would have made that turn. Plus, if the bias had been all the way forward, the front's would have locked, and there wasn't one bit of smoke from locked front tires.

By t-boned, I meant he got hit in the side by a car trying to go straight through him. Whether the car tried to drive through the front, side, or rear of Mike's car, doesn't really matter. I just meant it was a hard hit and not a glancing, side-to-side hit.

As far as taking himself off track on Sun, it certainly seemed you were implying he screwed up and went out of the race. He was actually running completely fine on the track and had a mechanical failure. So yes, you're right that he did take himself off course, but not in the way it seemed you were implying.

Jeff,

Let's get a few facts straight.

#1- the incident you refer to years ago with Drew was nothing like the incident this past weekend. It was at the green flag, in close quarters with a lot of jockeying for position going on. Not a dive bomb out of nowhere like Saturday.

#2- not once did I hear an apology from Brandon--it wasn't until after Jim showed him the video that he even took any responsibility for the incident.

#3- I was upset and overreacted--I put a lot of time, money and effort to get the car ready,take off work, drive down to be taken out in the second lap. I apologize for losing my cool and vow to not let that happen again.

#4- I also enjoy close , hard racing as Will Miller and Scott Lanford can attest to--but it should be clean and smart--low percentage moves have no place in this venue

#5-I had a mechanical on Sunday--and like Scott said, may or may not have been related to Saturdays hit. Please don't imply that it was anything other unless you have the facts.

Mike

the guy that broke the spec miata lap record and won TTE.

how is an SM legal for TTE?

While we're here what's with all the SE30s in PTE - what parts were they pulling to be legal?

While we're here what's with all the SE30s in PTE - what parts were they pulling to be legal?

I don't know anything about TTE, but I spoke with a gentleman Sunday morning at breakfast and the Hempton who said he was driving a bright orange/blue miata (as seen in the video) and his name was Danny. He said he broke the Spec Miata track record on Saturday.

Putting the pieces together I figured this was him as the car was not slow at all, it fits the color description and the name on the final results is Danny.

That's all I got for you. You guys can figure it out from there.

......(I personally want to be raced hard, rubbed and bumped. Racing, that's what I'm here for)......

I think I understand the context of your statement, but I have an expensive plastic car. Statements like that make me want to stay in ST2 where there is less desire by everyone for any contact at all. I saw/heard more contact in Saturday's Lightning race than in all of my Thunder races combined. I myself touched Sonny's TR and that was my first contact ever outside of a Nationals race.

I don't know anything about TTE, but I spoke with a gentleman Sunday morning at breakfast and the Hempton who said he was driving a bright orange/blue miata (as seen in the video) and his name was Danny. He said he broke the Spec Miata track record on Saturday.

Putting the pieces together I figured this was him as the car was not slow at all, it fits the color description and the name on the final results is Danny.

That's all I got for you. You guys can figure it out from there.

He was gridding last for each session and hung way back on the out lap to make sure that he got in a clean lap. Hence the reason he was caught quickly by the leaders.

He was gridding last for each session and hung way back on the out lap to make sure that he got in a clean lap. Hence the reason he was caught quickly by the leaders.

Wow, that's some inconsiderate..................

I vote to have his times DQ'd, or lap record voided, or something. He was a nice guy but that is bull crap!!!!!!! Ruins the whole system. And Barber is not a track for those kind of Shenanigans!!!! He did it on Saturday too!

And he set his best lap in session 4, the same one I did, getting in the way of myself, Reese, Scott kevin and who knows who else. On purpose. Sunday morning is one of the golden sessions too, the only morning session on Sunday.