Top Posters In This Topic

• brkntrxn

• heavychevy

• kbrew8991

• sperkins

A little Time Trial action.

Class TT3

Here is the view from one car back:

your comment about cars getting out of the way … spot on … but my question…

you're in a fast car, I'm in a very slow car, still trying to compete in my class, get the fastest lap I can … am I supposed to just get out of your way when you start catching us TTF/TTE cars towards the end of the session ?

I guess the question is, who's "hot" lap is more important ?

I'm not asking this in a snarky way, it's a serious question … it takes me most of the allotted time to work up to my best pace … so my best laps tend to be towards the end of each session

Fast or slow - the car overtaking has the responsibility for a safe and contact free pass (not W2W rules in TT) period. My three C's of TT are Comfort, Courtesy and Control. Cars on cool down have the responsibity to get out of the damn way. Cars on a hot lap being overtaken - fast, slow or Khoi speed - have the right to the line. When in doubt refer to the 3 C's....

Hi Guys

Don’t you hate to have to register with a forum so that your first post can be an apology!!!

Well I am that guy. I am the “inconsiderate” driver in the blue and orange Spec Miata that apparently ruined the TT sessions for a one or two of you here. Please forgive me, I did not intend to ruin your session, and I sincerely apologize for doing so.

I am new to NASA, and new to Time Trials, and I am not fully conversant with TT etiquette. However I am a decent driver with 10 Spec Miata championships in SCCA.

This was my first TT event ever, and due to running two different cars in two different run groups, unfortunately I arrived late for two of my TT sessions. On these two occasions and when I drove up to the grid marshal, he waved me onto the circuit, and I wailed on it from the pit road. I had no idea I was going to ruin your laps. It will not happen again.

And “Lemming” I was not gridding last. On those occasions when I was gridded I went out in my allocated spot. But as I stated earlier I was late on two of my runs, and they allowed me to take to the track.

“HeavyChevy” – great meeting you and your wife at the Hampton Inn. I enjoyed our conversation. Those that know me will dispute your character assessment of me. I apologize to you again. On a completely separate note, if NASA is anything like SCCA, lap records are set in races, not qualifying or timed sessions. My new lap record of 1:45.719 was set in the Lightning race, and whereas I still went a full second faster and ran a time of 1:44.812 in the TT session on Sunday, it will not be recognized as a lap record for SM.

As mentioned in this thread there were few high HP cars that ruined laps for other drivers (including me) on their cool down laps, and I am sure that they never mean to do so. I suspect that several of us learned something this weekend. As HeavyChevy mentioned earlier, Barber is one of those tracks ”….. you basically have to go almost full speed into the pits to get out of the way.…”

Did you submit a classing sheet for that Miata? Most SMs have trouble squeezing into TTE without changing parts and/or doing an official dyno reclassification. If the car fits the class, great job!!

Did you submit a classing sheet for that Miata? Most SMs have trouble squeezing into TTE without changing parts and/or doing an official dyno reclassification. If the car fits the class, great job!!

Yup. Paperwork submitted. All SM's were classified as TTE. And thank you.

Danny the "other" situation I was talking about had nothing to do with you. I just left the details of that out.

I think you're a great guy as I posted earlier, and you obviously can wheel a miata. It's an honest mistake for a first timer to time trials as I have considered waiting for the group to come around after getting to grid late myself. Like I said in the email, no hard feelings and good luck the rest of the year. I think you said your home track is Road Atlanta so hopefully we'll have a chance to catch up and put all of this in the rear view.

And “Lemming” I was not gridding last. On those occasions when I was gridded I went out in my allocated spot. But as I stated earlier I was late on two of my runs, and they allowed me to take to the track.

Well, I went out twice on Sunday, once to scrub tires and the other to get some heat in them before my race. I asked to line up last and a Miata pulled up behind me both times. I assumed that was the miata that everyone was talking about.

I don't really want to start another "Miata vs the World" thread but these two statements, one by Ken and one by Danny, are mutually exclusive.

If you look at his results from the SCCA, Danny is without a doubt in the top 1% of amateur drivers out there. I have not seen his car but I have a feeling that it is a 100% build. Does a 100% SM fit into PTE? Is there a formula for this? I know there are always several crossovers (SM to PTE) at nationals that have been blessed by Greg so it's clear to me that it can be done. Is the formula to go from SM to PTE a simple (dyno reclass + adjust weight + Hoosiers) = PTE??

I don't really want to start another "Miata vs the World" thread but these two statements, one by Ken and one by Danny, are mutually exclusive.

If you look at his results from the SCCA, Danny is without a doubt in the top 1% of amateur drivers out there. I have not seen his car but I have a feeling that it is a 100% build. Does a 100% SM fit into PTE? Is there a formula for this? I know there are always several crossovers (SM to PTE) at nationals that have been blessed by Greg so it's clear to me that it can be done. Is the formula to go from SM to PTE a simple (dyno reclass + adjust weight + Hoosiers) = PTE??

Scott - cannot help with how SM is classified, something for the NASA TT guys to do. Can help with details of may car. On the Rossini DynoJet that has been used for NASA dyno verification in the past, it makes 126HP, 121 RWTQ. It's a full SM build the entire build documented in living technicolor here - enjoy!!!

http://www.dannysteynracing.com/best-damn-spec-miata-period.htm

And here are a couple of teaser pics from the build log

danny-steyn-spec-miata-build-v3-opm-autosports-05332.jpg

danny-steyn-spec-miata-build-v3-opm-autosports-4398b.jpg

danny-steyn-spec-miata-build-v3-opm-autosports-05379.jpg

danny-steyn-spec-miata-build-v3-opm-autosports-4320.jpg

Keith Andrews
Well, I went out twice on Sunday, once to scrub tires and the other to get some heat in them before my race. I asked to line up last and a Miata pulled up behind me both times. I assumed that was the miata that everyone was talking about.

Tim as a non TT'er this is really confusing. It's ok to go out last to warm up tires but it's not ok to go out late and run your session?

Just a general comment regarding the dissatisfaction with the new guy. I think this may be the first of many NASA-SE events that has drivers you are not used to seeing at the track. With the Road Atlanta Eastern National people need to qualify by attending NASA events. I would guess this would be especially true at the Road Atlanta events. Just my .02

Tim as a non TT'er this is really confusing. It's ok to go out last to warm up tires but it's not ok to go out late and run your session?

Just a general comment regarding the dissatisfaction with the new guy. I think this may be the first of many NASA-SE events that has drivers you are not used to seeing at the track. With the Road Atlanta Eastern National people need to qualify by attending NASA events. I would guess this would be especially true at the Road Atlanta events. Just my .02

The dynamics are different. Doesn't matter where you grid. The issue is starting at the same time as the rest of the field. If Tim goes out last and stays bunched up, this doesn't happen. But in this case the cars were not holding tight to the group when we started, which caused the problem. And it wasn't just one car. Happened with more than one.

[

Went out for the yellow and first hot lap and pulled off. I did not bother the person in front of me, nor did anyone catch me. Had I seen anyone coming from behind, I would have gotten off line and given a clear pointby. Believe me, I did not hold anyone up. I can't say the same for being held up.

Keith Andrews
[

Went out for the yellow and first hot lap and pulled off. I did not bother the person in front of me, nor did anyone catch me. Had I seen anyone coming from behind, I would have gotten off line and given a clear pointby. Believe me, I did not hold anyone up. I can't say the same for being held up.

Gotcha, so the idea is to stay in position. If you pass the car in front of you that's frowned on and if the car in front of you slows you down that's frowned on.

[

Gotcha, so the idea is to stay in position. If you pass the car in front of you that's frowned on and if the car in front of you slows you down that's frowned on.

Keith,

Passing is not frowned upon, but if you grid by fastest times, then it should become infrequent. I did not pass because I was not trying to set a fast lap. If you do slow down, you need to be aware of what is coming up behind you and let them through without impeding their progress. Again, this is not a race, it's about setting your fastest lap.

Keith Andrews

Thank you for the clarification. I read through the rules and I didn't see anything that said you had to stay in position for the entire session. I think generally in racing most experienced competitors try not to hold up a faster driver as well. I saw some TT video of the mix on track at Barber and can appreciate your frustration.

From the video I saw from the corvette I honestly don't see how there is even room for a complaint. The Miata was on the straight when the vette passed him (with ease) and never even got him crossed up or slowed him down, soooo what am I missing? Danny has the right to grid and run as he pleases. He didn't break any rules or do anything stupid. I have raced with him at the runoffs and the ARRC and he is no slouch or rookie by any means.

There is a certain video from you tube that keeps popping in my head when I read these comments but I'm sure it will anger a lot of people so I'll keep that to myself haha.

From the video I saw from the corvette I honestly don't see how there is even room for a complaint. The Miata was on the straight when the vette passed him (with ease) and never even got him crossed up or slowed him down, soooo what am I missing? Danny has the right to grid and run as he pleases. He didn't break any rules or do anything stupid. I have raced with him at the runoffs and the ARRC and he is no slouch or rookie by any means.

There is a certain video from you tube that keeps popping in my head when I read these comments but I'm sure it will anger a lot of people so I'll keep that to myself haha.

You need to go back and re-read several posts. Scott caught the Miata coming into T5 and gave up on the lap. I passed the Miata in the straight and had no issue.

Danny has the right to grid and run as he pleases.

I don't know Danny. Probably a great guy and obviously a good driver however, do you know if Jeff England is aware of this anomaly? If not, I think you should personally let him know at the next event. Be sure to let me know when you're going to do it...I'll get whatever follows on video.

I meant for practice and qualifying. Obviously you have to grid up for the race based on times. But I guess y'all don't have "races" so being late to grid like what had happened would put him last anyway.

......(I personally want to be raced hard, rubbed and bumped. Racing, that's what I'm here for)......

I think I understand the context of your statement, but I have an expensive plastic car. Statements like that make me want to stay in ST2 where there is less desire by everyone for any contact at all. I saw/heard more contact in Saturday's Lightning race than in all of my Thunder races combined. I myself touched Sonny's TR and that was my first contact ever outside of a Nationals race.

And Kevin was kind enough to come apologize to me for it the next day. But I didn't even know it had happened until I reviewed my rear video in the hotel room Saturday night. But on review of the video & talking to Kevin about it, I think it was really my mistake for coming across him on the inside of the Cork Screw when he was trying to make his way through. I actually didn't see him until I had cleared the Cork Screw.

But in our exchange, it was all very gentleman-like & we both apologized to each other -- I think we both blame ourselves for the contact while not assigning blame to the other. But in any case, no real damage was incurred & I'll watch my mirrors that much more closely next time around.

I meant for practice and qualifying. Obviously you have to grid up for the race based on times. But I guess y'all don't have "races" so being late to grid like what had happened would put him last anyway.

What are you talking about and what point are you trying to argue?

Are you familiar with NASA's time trial format?