I need help for Spec Miata Classification in TT

siswati

This post is a call for help from those that are familiar with the TT classification system and the way it assesses the class for each car.

Myself and many other Spec Miatas will be running at Road Atlanta and I suspect that, like me, they would like to be correctly classified and not DQ’d after the event.

Having read and re-read the 2014 NASTA PT Rules Version 9.2.1 January 15, 2014, and having solicited help from several drivers that are familiar, it is my understanding that 2001 SM is classed in TTE, but I am looking for official sanction.

Here is my understanding of the application of the ruleset which can be done one of two ways. But if we go with the rules on Page 40 – the easiest to apply, we have

• Mazda Miata ’01-’05 (1.8L), no motor swap, non-BTM head, or F/I:

Your '01-‘05 Mazda Miata 1.8L with a maximum 130 rwhp on a Dynojet, and a Minimum Competition Weight (w/driver) of 2405 lbs, will have a new PT/TT base class of PTE/TTE. Your new base tire size is 235mm. You will not assess modification points for Section B. Weight Reduction or Section C. Engine Mods. However, all other modifications, including transmission and LSD, that are not standard items on a base trim '01-‘05 Mazda Miata must be assessed points. You must be compliant with the above listed maximum Dynojet HP and Minimum Competition Weight during any tech. inspection.

This option may only be used with a PTE/TTE or higher Final Competition Class.

Please keep a copy of this e-mail and the most recent Dynojet sheets and Dyno Certification Form with the vehicle log book as proof of re-classing. Also, turn in a copy of this e-mail, the Dynojet sheets, and the Dyno Certification Form with your PT/TT Car Classification Form to your Regional PT/TT Director.

Note that the car will still need to be compliant with the Minimum Adjusted Wt/Hp Ratio for whichever Competition Class you choose to run in.

This is an Official, approved, Dyno Re-Class copied from the current PT Rules, Appendix C

As far as I can determine, my 2002 Miata adds points as follows …..

• Base for PTE – 2395 lbs with less than 130HP
    My car with driver weighs in at 2415 lbs,
    My engine makes 126 to 127 RWHP SAE on the Rossini dynojet that is used to classify NASA SE HP ratings
    Section A - Tires SM7s +3pts
    Section B/C - ignore with Dyno re-base 0pts
    Section D - Drivetrain LSD = +3
    Section E - Suspension Shocks (non adj, no ext res, Springs, Sway Bars (includes end links) +7 pts
    Section F - Brakes/Chassis 0 points
    Section G - Aerodynamics Chin Spoiler +5
    Section H - Roll Cage 0pts

All totaled this makes 18 pts and puts the car in TTE - do I have this correct?

If this is correct I understand that i need to submit the Dyno sheets and the Re-Base form in order to get classified. Do I have this correct?

Thanks in anticipation

Everything looks right to me. Do you have shims in your steering rack? If so that's another +2, and you would have to either run RR's or remove something to avoid landing in D. If not, the rest looks just fine and you are in E. FYI, the exact same paperwork will work for PT as well:

-Make sure to have the TT classification form fully filled out

-Attach a copy of the printed section from the rules that you have copied in your post, which is equivalent to an official reclass e-mail.

-Complete and attach a NASA official PT or TT dyno certification form form with dyno results. The operator actually has to fill in and sign the NASA PT or TT form, and the certified printouts will not only have the plot, but the data table from the dyno run file.

-Make sure you have TTE marked on all 4 sides of the car, along with the NASA stickers. I have been to events where they DQ competitors until they get their stickers and letters correct. By the rules the letters must be 4" tall. Your car numbers have to be 10" tall on the sides, and at least 1.5" thick; a car with numbers made of a single strip of painter's tape is technically illegal.

It seems like a lot of paperwork, (my packet is 16 pages, yours should be similar) but once you have it all done it's just a matter of making a copy for the next event. I put it all in a PDF file so I can just print it when needed, or even e-mail it to the director ahead of time if they ask for it.

And finally, if for some reason the TT director isn't available to take your paperwork, you can turn it in at NASA central.

Note that there is a 6-page thread about a very similar topic over in the PT forum:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56743

But, anyway...

Every year (except 2013), I prepare "generic" PT/TT classification forms as a courtesy based on the fullest extent of the NASA Spec Miata rules for SM drivers that did not, can not, or will not complete the forms on their own.

For what it's worth, here is a link to the 2012 PT/TT classification forms per the 2012 SM rules. Note that some things have changed since then (Toyo RRs, etc.), so a few things still need to be adjusted.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B73wHMd-IvZIV1VGTEV3cTZlSUU/edit?usp=sharing

For using a dyno reclass, you skip classification form sections B and C.

I plan to have the "generic" 2014 PT/TT forms for SMs completed in a couple of weeks, although these will use the points modifications for all categories (and not the dyno reclasses noted in 2014 TT rules Appendix C).

Mark

• 5 weeks later...
Note that there is a 6-page thread about a very similar topic over in the PT forum:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56743

But, anyway...

Every year (except 2013), I prepare "generic" PT/TT classification forms as a courtesy based on the fullest extent of the NASA Spec Miata rules for SM drivers that did not, can not, or will not complete the forms on their own.

For what it's worth, here is a link to the 2012 PT/TT classification forms per the 2012 SM rules. Note that some things have changed since then (Toyo RRs, etc.), so a few things still need to be adjusted.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B73wHMd-IvZIV1VGTEV3cTZlSUU/edit?usp=sharing

For using a dyno reclass, you skip classification form sections B and C.

I plan to have the "generic" 2014 PT/TT forms for SMs completed in a couple of weeks, although these will use the points modifications for all categories (and not the dyno reclasses noted in 2014 TT rules Appendix C).

Mark

I saw a "pony" that was done by the NASA National Spec Miata guy that showed all the options. They all fall TTD without a Dyno Reclass.

Those pre-approved dyno reclass options *may* - keyword MAY - save them enough points to stay in TTE/PTE. Generally that process saves points on cars that don't gain alot of power for the parts that they have and a Spec Miata is a prime example of not a ton of gains for alot of parts and points changed/charged.