TT at Nationals (2 days only)

heavychevy

I just noticed that although Nationals is a 3 day event, the TT portion is only 2 days. Not sure I understand that concept. 3 days of TT gives more room in case of inclement weather, and extra day for new comers to learn the track, and more time in case of traffic issues, setup, whatever. It's August in Atlanta for goodness sake, we will only have maybe 2 good sessions in the morning to set a competitive time. The track is not going to be as fast, probably by noon if that long.

I think long term, that is not a good idea. Less motivation for people to show up.

Edit: TT I guess cannot participate in the Test and Tune on Thursday. I think it would be better to allow TT to participate on Thurs and have Friday as live sessions for the reasons mentioned above. Of course they don't have to, but I would think almost every TT guy would rather have it that way. Unless they just can't attend the other days.

I was making plans to attend the west nationals as well, but only under the assumption that I would have 4 days at Sonoma. For a 2500 mile trip I want to get real familiar with the track.

TT was already on a compressed schedule at Nationals (used to be 3 days out of 4, now the sessions are spread out more but still same # / amt of time), they got compressed more? Where'd you see that info?

I agree 3 days is better than 2 when you consider the summer heat and those that need to learn the track (like me!). If they are firm on 2 days then I'll deal with it but I'll be at the Friday test n tune for sure and more time on the simulator won't hurt either. Its a bummer that the TnT is not included in the entry fee so hopefully the main fee is lower than in previous years to balance things out.

I like the two day schedule. That should be all a driver needs to get a fast lap in. Plus it is great for super size competitors. One can split their attention for the first two days, then concentrate on the championship race on Sunday.

It's not a race where things are usually decided by a second or three AND where the results of a single race session are all that matters - when you're talking tenths and hudredths (I've had a TTer from my region come in 4th by 0.001 sec in 2009 for instance) - stuff like weather plays a bigger factor PLUS we're talking a time from any session, not just one in particular. Would be nice to have more days to have more morning sessions to have a shot at that killer flier in more optimal conditions. We're talking Atlanta in August, winning times will NOT be set outside of morning sessions. Just. Does. Not. Happen. Sonoma I don't know nearly as well, but weather still can be a factor anyway nowhere is that perfect.

Supersizers shouldn't be the tail wagging the dog of the dedicated TT competitors either. That's just my $0.02, even as someone who would most likely be supersizing this time around (TT only in '06, 07, Race only in '09). The compressed schedule is to my advantage as well as I've got quite a few laps at RAtl from my SE days but I'm not one to lobby for something to benifit just myself, but rather lobby for what's right for all...

We're talking Atlanta in August, winning times will NOT be set outside of morning sessions. Just. Does. Not. Happen.

At the rate we are going for weather for '14, it'll be warmed up to about 55 by Aug

You can get a good lap in, but rest assured, if it's your first time at Road Atlanta (or Sonoma) and you are almost certainly going to leave with a good size chunk of time you didn't get out of your car. 4 days still isn't enough, but it's better than 3.

I'm more concerned about #1 weather playing a factor, which it will as some point one of these years. One day of rain, or let's say it rains on Friday during the TT test day. Now guys are really going in blind. Two days of rain, washout and TT is a test of wet weather driving. 3 days of washout is very rare. And #2 seeming like a regular event. It's already hard for some drivers to get over the fact that there is a split nationals, this won't help, and certainly won't help for people traveling long distances. They always want more track time since they drove so far.

I imagine the awards ceremony won't be too late on Sunday either because people will want to get home. Not to mention impounds for dyno have less time, protests have very little time. This isn't your regular old NASA weekend.

They'd be better off making the morning sessions on Fri/Sat live because the afternoon won't be good for anything but practice anyways. Add an afternoon session (5 total) by making them all shorter. Keep the morning ones live on Fri/Sat and the afternoon ones for practice. That adds up to a day of practice and gives everyone 3 days to set a competitive time in competitive conditions.

you only paid $700ish if you waited until September to sign up. It's always been discounted alot lower if you can commit well in advance.

• Members

2012 was $599 if signed up before June 1st. Then went up in $100 increments until Sept 1st it was $999. Supersize was $299.

ok right $600 then I am thinking for 2 days should be around $400 I expect it will be $500+ though

At mid ohio with the 4 day events we only did 2 sessions most days so it wasn't like you had masses of tracktime

Looks like the schedule is optimized for supersizers. It will be a two session event for the podium spots most likely.

shouldn't it be omptimized for the dedicated TT competitors?

Looks like the schedule is optimized for supersizers. It will be a two session event for the podium spots most likely.

shouldn't it be omptimized for the dedicated TT competitors?

Odds are greatly stacked against out of towners this year. But....I don't know of any SE region TT guys that have commited to TT3 this year.

has a schedule been released yet? I looked and couldnt find anything.

http://nasachampionships.com/east/

it's general, but

Race Schedule

Thursday – Open testing (details TBA)

Friday – Qualifying and Qualifying races

Saturday – Qualifying gridded by Friday’s finishing position

Sunday – Championship Races gridded by points from Qualifying Race 1+2

TT Schedule

Friday – 4 Sessions of Test/Tune (separate entry)

Saturday – Competition Sessions

Sunday – Competition Sessions

Now the TT competitors can make to the Championship event with a much easier

budget only being required to be there Saturday and Sunday!

It will be a two session event for the podium spots most likely.

That would be the same number of dry sessions that counted in 2008 using a 3 day format!

• National Staff

The two main reasons given by TT drivers (including regulars living close to the Championship event) not attending the Championships in the past have been: 1) The cost of the event including registration and travel, and 2) The length of the event necessitating increased costs for: number of days taken off work (or away from family), increased number of new tires due to more potential "hot" sessions, and increased hotel and food costs. So, making it a two day event, and having one for the East and one for the West takes care of most of those concerns. Essentially, a TT driver can go to the Championship event for just about the same cost as a normal regional weekend event now. Hopefully, this means more competitors and better competition. If it rains, it's Pantas's fault.