Looking to get involved.

Apex-Predator

Hi,

I'm a new member looking to get involved in the Honda Challenge class. I have never raced before. I'm looking to get into the Honda Challenge class because my racing will serve two purposes. One I love racing and I am a total gear head so this will be the realization of a life long dream and hopefully the start of a life long hobby. Two, I am a mechanical engineering student and I want to work in the automotive field after graduation. However, I'm going to a smaller school in the Midwest. So my car and racing efforts will also be used on a job application some day. There are a lot more people that want to be automotive engineers then there are jobs so every little thing helps.

Since I want to flex my engineering muscle as much as possible I'm interested in the H1 and H2 classes. After reading the regulations I have a few questions. It looks like the main difference between the two classes is the engine regulations. The H1 class allows for engines built with any combination of factory Honda parts as well as more machine work to the heads. Where as the H2 class still allows for motor swaps but with engines that are exactly how they came from the factory. H1 also allows for aero dynamic modifications and more extensive use of composite materials.

The regulations are a bit confusing so I wanted to know if I'm missing anything. Are there any other major differences? Also, What are competitive Chassis and engine combinations in each class?

Any input helps.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

There are also some wheel and tire differences. Along with everything else in the rules.

How competitive you are in any race class is going to come down to three main things. How good of a driver you are, how good your tires are and how well prepared your car is. Probably in that order and with the combination of the last two having a much smaller significance than the first one.

Most of the time H2 would be a less expensive choice from what I know. Most Honda/Acura chassis are competitive. Get what you want. In my opinion the fastest cars would be the ones with the lowest drag and best suspension. As an engineer you might enjoy comparing suspension setups, Cd, frontal area, etc. Also consider if you like a short wheelbase or long wheelbase and the advantages/disadvantages they have. Also, if you are a big guy, you might want a bigger car to have a bigger cage to be able to get out easier in an emergency. Then get a good idea of how much the car would weigh with you in it and then pick an engine that will allow you to meet that minimum weight. As an engineer in training, keep in mind that the max tire size in H2 is the same for all Limited prep cars. Notice the way the rules are written the cars with more HP and torque have a better power to weight ratio but have to run on the same size tires as the low HP cars.