New racer, new build, and hopefully new questions

robsilver350

I've been flirting with the idea for the past year to start sculpting my '03 into a spec z. I've been studying the rules and modifications allowed/disallowed. Signed up with NASA and contacted Nissan Motorsports in the past month to become "active". I took my Z out to the track this last weekend and ended up punching a hole in the block. Not sure why it detonated, but I've heard it may be do to turning hard right with a thirsty PCV valve. Regardless, I am now gung ho about starting the transformation into a spec class vehicle starting with swapping out the motor.

In thinking through the next step of engine replacement, I've been trying to get find clarification on Section 11 - Engine of the rules for the use of solid or polyurethane after-market motor mounts. Are the after-market mounts allowed or are the heavier, more expensive OEM mounts only allowed? For those that have taken out the block, what are some suggested replacements/modifications around the engine you have made while performing heart surgery? I'd like to use this opportunity to make changes while they're more easily accessible with the power plant out.

Also, to avoid spamming these forums with questions like these, what is the best way to get a ruling on the legality of something not explicit in the rules?

Welcome to Spec Z!!!

If the rules do not explicitly say you can do something...then you can't do it!!!

Also Clifton Winkleman is the Spec Z National Director...he has the final say on any issues

[email protected];

I am the SE Region Director and happy to help at any time...give me a ring

John Evans

[email protected]

770-710-6829

Thank you for the welcome. That's a good rule of thumb about the rules and makes sense. Looking forward to the journey through the HPDE program with the gradual Spec Z build and hope to be W2W with you guys before long.

Has anyone heard from Nissan Motorsports yet about changes to the driver contingency program? I got this response from Cathy Downing at Nissan Motorsports a couple weeks ago, but haven't heard anything since:

"There are some changes that have been made to the 2014 Racer Registration. The registration will be distributed soon. I will make sure you are on the list to receive this. "