Mufflers required for HPDE1?

37Stang

I was looking over the requirements for HPDE 1 on the NASA site and found the following: "Mufflers. Different tracks have different sound policies".

If the track in question, Summit Point, has no sound policy are mufflers required for HPDE 1?

I have a '94 Mustang that is basically stock with the exception of a Holley carb, FRPP headers and 2 1/2" exhaust that "dumps" at the rear axle...

Thanks in advance.

I went through HPDE at Summit (among other tracks) and now run a CMC mustang there as well. A number of racecars run headers and no mufflers. Unless it's ear-splitting (which it isn't) you'll be fine. Next event is in 2 weeks, guess you'll be there?

Good to hear regarding the mufflers... I have actually driven the car around the block a few times and its not too bad at all.

I plan to come up to Summit Point on Sunday but will not have the car. I am hoping to make the June event if all goes well... If not it looks like VIR.

Mufflers aren't required for DE1. However, as the rules state, each track will have its own policies regarding sound levels. Those can also change with the seasons (Barber, for example). In my experience there is a wide range on how closely it is monitored. Road Atl has its limits pushed down from local municipalities so they tend to be fairly strict. I have been black-flagged during quiet hours in a c5z running stock manifolds, cats and B&B bullets. Barber, which had a 98db limit during winter seemed to let more slide. There are apps for phones that can give you a good idea of where you are at. I'd say with headers, no cats and no mufflers you may want to have an idea. At full-tilt you're probably screaming pretty good.

There are no on-track noise restrictions at Summit Point or VIR during NASA events. That said, honestly you'll get more out of HPDE1 - i.e. learn more and have more fun as a result - if you can hear your instructor talking to you, with or without a communicator... hand signals and yelling works ok in a loud car, but a calm voice in your ear is much more informative

^ I second that motion.

While mufflers may not be required, I can tell you from several years of instructing, that a nice quite car is the best for a student to learn in. You can hear your instructor, you can hear other sounds around you (like the screeching of brakes from behind you), and your instructor will enjoy riding in the car and be more willing to give you feedback as opposed to being in a hurry to get out of your loud ass car.

Keep in mind that while you may have given it a test ride in the neighborhood at 2000rpm and maybe hit 3000rpm, you will be spending a lot of time over 4500rpm for 20 minutes. I have instructed in cars with no mufflers and having me in the passenger seat was useless. I literally told the owner I was never so glad to get out of a car. Personally I will not instruct in a car without mufflers. Ultimately it is up to the instructor to decide whether it is safe or not. If you can't hear what I am saying, and you are a new driver, that is not safe. There is also no reason to contribute to giving our hobby a bad rap of being a noise polluting event. Nothing cool about being loud and no other benefit comes from it.

I also drive a Mustang, in TT, have dumps, and use mufflers. I got a cheap chambered set from Summit Racing. Cost me about $40.

Get a set of mufflers.

having the car down to a reasonable dB level makes us racers better neighbors - especially important this day and age with so many NIMBYS out there trying to shut down your favorite race track. Do it now so they don't get any leverage on the rest of us please!

KB, who is losing his favorite nearby racetrack sometime soon. Not completely all over noise issues, but, still a contributing factor.

As an additional fun note regarding mufflers and sound, I have permanent hearing loss in my right ear, part of which is due to being in and around loud cars a lot. I'm now a HUGE fan of making them just about as quiet as possible.

^ I second that motion.

While mufflers may not be required, I can tell you from several years of instructing, that a nice quite car is the best for a student to learn in. You can hear your instructor, you can hear other sounds around you (like the screeching of brakes from behind you), and your instructor will enjoy riding in the car and be more willing to give you feedback as opposed to being in a hurry to get out of your loud ass car.

Keep in mind that while you may have given it a test ride in the neighborhood at 2000rpm and maybe hit 3000rpm, you will be spending a lot of time over 4500rpm for 20 minutes. I have instructed in cars with no mufflers and having me in the passenger seat was useless. I literally told the owner I was never so glad to get out of a car. Personally I will not instruct in a car without mufflers. Ultimately it is up to the instructor to decide whether it is safe or not. If you can't hear what I am saying, and you are a new driver, that is not safe. There is also no reason to contribute to giving our hobby a bad rap of being a noise polluting event. Nothing cool about being loud and no other benefit comes from it.

I also drive a Mustang, in TT, have dumps, and use mufflers. I got a cheap chambered set from Summit Racing. Cost me about $40.

Get a set of mufflers.

As an instructor and racer, I COMPLETELY agree with everything Doug stated!!! I have had some very unproductive sessions with students in loud cars.

Thanks all for the tips/suggestions...

I believe I will cut the dumps, weld some flanges into the system and install a set of mufflers for HPDE. As I progress through I can just unbolt the mufflers and put the dumps back on the car.

The good news is many modern mufflers don't even hurt performance.

You are doing a good thing adding mufflers. It is difficult enough to communicate with students about the nuances of a track without excess noise. It is good to hear the tires if they squeal, or some failure making metal to metal noises. Besides, it can be very distracting to student and instructor in the Miata that is passing you.