Toyo RR's out of stock?!

CRallo

My Toyo supplier says that they are out of 18" RR's and that Toyo doesn't have any either... And I've not been able to find any elsewhere, except by paying a premium to get 4. Yes, only 4 for a whole race weekend!!

Anyone know of any? This has to be on NASA's radar... What are they doing?

And what sanctions will be leveled against Toyo for the trouble? This kind of thing can't be allowed to happen when you are going to spec a tire!

I usually keep a stock of everything in case of such issues, but we are a new team and this month is SUPPOSED to be our first race...

All comments and assistance is welcome. I am very interested to sort this out and learn in the process.

This isn't the first time and yes it has happened that another tire company had to step up for nationals.

All I have to say is this is why some of us don't run AI anymore sadly.

Good luck with it

Update: I sent an email to Todd (is he still Director?) and to Will Faules. It got forwarded to Jeremy who is in charge of relations with Toyo among other things and I GOT A PHONE CALL WITHIN 15 MINUTES OF SENDING MY EMAIL.

Jeremy was very proactive, listened well and had a very current update regarding when tires would arrive... too late. Toyo didn't put any one a plane... I explained to him the timeline of the supply issues as I knew them and questioned Toyo's decision in that regard as well as what led up to the issue. Seems like there was a "Perfect Storm"...

He offered to help find tires... not sure there are any, but the thought is worth something.

Good conversation overall, very impressed at how quickly he got in touch. He also spoke with Toyo again after speaking with me. They have very open communication with Toyo and I expect this to be rare, but he was receptive to my feelings about this happening.

we shall see...

I also expressed my displeasure about the contingency program. He was receptive about that as well, I think that especially if we speak up that there is some leverage to work out a better deal with Toyo.

Thanks Steve. I'm not a fan of paying that kind of money for used tires, but we may need to take such an offer...

So does this mean were on Hoosier's or BFG's when nobody can get any freak'n tires?

or is the RA1 still available?

Just checked Cassidy Tire and it looks like they're out too, according to the website.

For what it's worth, 4 tires will get you through a weekend and then some as long as you're not running an enduro too.

If it's the first weekend, I'd grab some used ones and sort it out, but I'm also notoriously cheap.

Calm down everyone no need to blow this out of proportion. Mistakes happen to everyone even to big companies. Things will resume to their regular scheduled programming very soon. We have been on top of this from the outset. Since we sell more RR's than just about any in the US, if it was major concern we would be all over it!

Phil

Leave it to Phil to be on top of things. He's the bestest tire guy ever. But also leave it to Toyo to screw it up, not the first and not the last I'm sure. They've left us stranded before and Hoosier stepped up to the plate and bailed us out for Nationals of all races. Desalvo's right and this is why a lot of guys have left. I can't figure out why I stay in the series either except for the great group of people that are still race AI. NASA gets their check and the racers seem to get left in the cold. I still think the biggest mistake NASA has made was going back to Toyo after Hoosier was there for the racers during the tsunami debacle. I still say Hoosier's contingency is better for all racers in the end.

I got 8 Toyos from tire rack no problem. Buddy of mine just got a pallet of Toyos from Treadzone as well. You can still find them if you call around. Agreed though about the contingency, Hoosier gives away free tires if you win which is worth more than the $150 Toyo bucks you get now.

$150 bucks? Wait, your telling me Toyo gives $150 buck to win? That's not right, just try to submit a claim... get told that you missed some f'ing imaginary deadline. The old claim system sucked, I lost a lot of $ trying to use Toyo bucks, and the new system seems no better. Tried to make my claims for two wins and have heard nothing back. Im sure I will miss some BS deadline and get nothing for my effort. NOT HAPPY! (Yes Toyo & NASA I will take your calls)

Ive been thinking that I may strip the Toyo stickers off and plaster someone else's stickers on as a protest.....dont have much to loose, not getting anything from Toyo any way.

Not a big fan.....

Robin Burnett

586-two 4 six-3287

(wondering why AI?)

• Members
$150 bucks? Wait, your telling me Toyo gives $150 buck to win? That's not right, just try to submit a claim... get told that you missed some f'ing imaginary deadline. The old claim system sucked, I lost a lot of $ trying to use Toyo bucks, and the new system seems no better. Tried to make my claims for two wins and have heard nothing back. Im sure I will miss some BS deadline and get nothing for my effort. NOT HAPPY! (Yes Toyo & NASA I will take your calls)

Ive been thinking that I may strip the Toyo stickers off and plaster someone else's stickers on as a protest.....dont have much to loose, not getting anything from Toyo any way.

Not a big fan.....

Robin Burnett

586-two 4 six-3287

(wondering why AI?)

Robin,

I've been quite pleased with the new system. I submitted my race results and forms last Friday and had the certificates in the email box today. Already forwarded to the tire folks I use and should have a new tire on the doorstep Friday... A week turn around from nothing to free tire.

Not a big fan.....

Robin Burnett

586-two 4 six-3287

(wondering why AI?)

Robin - Contact Kim if you need help.

• 1 month later...

The Toyo bucks is a f'ing joke. You have limited time to use you Bucks (90 days) so what a lot of us do (at least me and friend I know), you wait one or two races to try to collect some so that you can actually get something for them. Now I go and submit my claims and it's telling me that two of them is later than 30 days. What is that all about? We used to have 120 day to submit your claim! What the frek'n h*$$ is the 30 days good for? Now I'm out a lot of bucks that I probably won't see (on hold it says)...

I bet you that Nasa and Toyo have come up with a plan how to make it really hard to use the Toyo bucks (just like mail in rebates). They probably split the unclaimed $$$ 50/50.

I also lost a lot of bucks last year (~$550) because my submission went to some black hole is seems like. I submitted half of the season (within the 120 days) and I got nothing back. I resubmitted the same packet, nothing. I send the packet a third time with certified mail to make sure it made it (with a note telling the processor to call me). Nothing received and no phone call returned...

No a fan at all...

• National Staff
Leave it to Phil to be on top of things. He's the bestest tire guy ever. But also leave it to Toyo to screw it up, not the first and not the last I'm sure. They've left us stranded before and Hoosier stepped up to the plate and bailed us out for Nationals of all races. Desalvo's right and this is why a lot of guys have left. I can't figure out why I stay in the series either except for the great group of people that are still race AI. NASA gets their check and the racers seem to get left in the cold. I still think the biggest mistake NASA has made was going back to Toyo after Hoosier was there for the racers during the tsunami debacle. I still say Hoosier's contingency is better for all racers in the end.

I was pretty saddened to see this response because this is exactly the wrong approach to take for proactive change when you are not happy with something IMO. I'm certainly not picking on your comments, only using them to illustrate a point I hope doesn't get skipped over.

I however did want to point out the insensitivity in your post if it wasn't readily apparent.

Acts of god that devastate manufacturing facilities are something no one can foresee and something I would hope people like yourself could be more understanding of.

Using one of the most devastating natural disasters to ever strike Japan in your attempt to illustrate that Toyo somehow dropped the ball is ridiculously insensitive and distasteful.

Some of the statements made in this thread show just how out of touch people can be on issues like this.

For instancing, NASA splitting half the unclaimed contingency money. That's a good knee slapper right there.

If that was the case, you could see the NASA staff arriving in personal helicopters at NASA events! Don't hold your breath waiting to see those helicopters.

I want to go on record to thank the many folks that have taken their time to email and call me with their constructive thoughts and ideas for moving forward like Chris mentioned earlier in this thread. It is much more helpful than the negativity some perpetuate and I can assure you doesn't fall on deaf ears.

The Toyo bucks is a f'ing joke. You have limited time to use you Bucks (90 days) so what a lot of us do (at least me and friend I know), you wait one or two races to try to collect some so that you can actually get something for them. Now I go and submit my claims and it's telling me that two of them is later than 30 days. What is that all about? We used to have 120 day to submit your claim! What the frek'n h*$$ is the 30 days good for? Now I'm out a lot of bucks that I probably won't see (on hold it says)...

I bet you that Nasa and Toyo have come up with a plan how to make it really hard to use the Toyo bucks (just like mail in rebates). They probably split the unclaimed $$$ 50/50.

I also lost a lot of bucks last year (~$550) because my submission went to some black hole is seems like. I submitted half of the season (within the 120 days) and I got nothing back. I resubmitted the same packet, nothing. I send the packet a third time with certified mail to make sure it made it (with a note telling the processor to call me). Nothing received and no phone call returned...

No a fan at all...

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles and we are always ready to help. You could have reached out to me (or any of the other NASA staff) at any point like so many other NASA competitors have for assistance with issues like this. I get requests for help from Series leaders, Regional Directors, and competitors themselves.

It's easy to understand how a small number of folks can slip through the cracks when you are dealing with such large number of contingency claims. I help competitors on a regular basis to resolve issues they are having.

Contact information is listed at the top of every contingency program for this very reason.

The majority of folks I have spoken with are just like Marshall. They are happy with the speed and accuracy of the new system as compared with the system of old and appreciate the change. I understand this might not be the case for everyone, but it does seem to be the majority and as with so many situations, happy people tend to remain silent and go about their days.

If you are one of the few that experienced an issue, there was contact information for you to reach out to. In the future, anyone with any issue has the option to reach out to us for assistance now and in the future. We are happy to help.

I'm gonna go ahead and close this thread now because the original topic has been answer as well as the additional concerns IMO. All RR's are in stock across the country and ready for NASA competitors to purchase. If anyone has any additional requests for assistance, they can feel free to reach out to us here at NASA for additional help.