New to GTS, which class, Any advice

plattauto

Hi,

My name is Greg and I'm new to the forums and to NASA GTS racing. I've been interested for awhile in this class and I've been trying to watch and learn. I currently race an Audi 200, but I'm interested in putting together a car for the GTS series in 2015. I'm in the Pacific NW so i'd be in the new NW series.

I've been trying to decide which class would be the best, I really just want to be where the most competition is. It appears that GTS4 has the most cars, would that be right? I'm interested in putting together an Audi 80 or maybe a newer A4.

Just looking for any advice, tips tricks or warnings!!!

Looking forward to being a part of the group.

Greg

Greg,

Welcome, and my apologies for not clearing your posts (so they could be seen by others) sooner.

The most popular classes vary somewhat by region. Nationally, the biggest classes are typically GTS3 and GTS4. Depending on your existing skill set as a driver and the thickness of a wallet (and what's running in your region), you'll have to pick your poison accordingly.

If you don't have a lot of racing experience, my recommendation is to start with a slower car rather than a faster one, as long as you have folks to race with. There's a lot that goes on when you're on-track and the faster the car is, the faster things happen. Also, it's a lot easier to learn to drive a slower car to the limit than it is a faster one.

Regardless, welcome and good luck!

No problem, thanks for clearing it. I thought I was doing something wrong so I tripple posted, can you delete my other two posts.

I'm really looking forward to the gts racing. My skills are only average so I'll probably get into the gts4 class if there are plenty of nw drivers to compete with. Id also be interested in 3 or 2 but looks like limited competition in the nw.

I'm really going to try to build out a very lightweight car, my 200 is bit on the heavy side.

Welcome Greg!

Going from my own experience, go with the newest chassis you can afford.

The older Audi 80/90 chassis are just not competitive in GTS3 or 4. Old suspension design, and nose heavy due to the engine being in front of the front axel (all of which I'm sure you are aware).

GTS4 is getting to the point that you need a Porsche 996 Cup or BMW E46 or E9x M3 to be competitive. It's very hard to beat the handling of modern cars.

There have been a couple B5 A4's that have run in GTS2 but have disappeared due to various reasons. There is one under construction now, with a limited project thread on this forum, so you won't be alone.

Whatever you end up going with, you will have fun in GTS, as it has some of the best racing in NASA.

Because most cars in your class have about the same power to weight it really comes down to handling and aerodynamics. You want to pick a chassis with good balance, weight distribution, and ability to fit the adequate tire for your class.

Most builds are very ordinary but some are pretty extreme. If you start with a good car it will ultimate determine how much work your car needs to be competitive.

Hope that helps !