Hoosier A7s

PoBoyR6

• Members

Oh I forgot that they neutered the fun Stock classes and made them run lame-o tires.

Anywho, those are called Performance Streets

Yup... all done in the name of 'cost savings'

Of course, even with 0 pts (or negative points) for these tires, you'd be hard pressed to win in a TT class running 200 TW tires against the allowed A6/A7 IMHO in the current classes. I think it would take class expansion (ala $CCA) which only serves to dilute the fields.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• PoBoyR6

• RockLobster

• Greg G.

Autocross tires *are* A6s/A7s....

street tire class … i.e. the RS3's, the R1R's, the Rivals … etc … the 2 pt tires … let them be the standard zero pt tires

there are points for more than just tires though yaknow but so long as it all remains in balance then cool I guess

Of course, even with 0 pts (or negative points) for these tires, you'd be hard pressed to win in a TT class running 200 TW tires against the allowed A6/A7 IMHO in the current classes. I think it would take class expansion (ala $CCA) which only serves to dilute the fields.

well in my particular case, with a STS prepped CRX Si, it comes to 19 pts. then I get to add tires … it would be fun to try TTF and see how I fare

I think you are underestimating how fast the current "street" tires can be on a properly setup car, speaking from personal experience with them. Ive run close to (and better than) a couple current ttb track records (unofficially) on these "street" tires on different occasions. More incentive to run them would be alright with me, but again, I just dont see it happening.

I think you are underestimating how fast the current "street" tires can be on a properly setup car, speaking from personal experience with them. Ive run close to (and better than) a couple current ttb track records (unofficially) on these "street" tires on different occasions. More incentive to run them would be alright with me, but again, I just dont see it happening.

How much faster did you run on A6s?

I have tracked the RS3 (275mm), Rival (275mm), and ZII (285mm). None of them were close to the grip level of the A6 (245mm). The street tire group can hold about 1.1Gs in a turn while the skinnier A6 can hold 1.5Gs. Lap times are about 2-3 seconds different depending on the track.

I agree it would be nice to not need a new set of A6 for each event to remain competitive.

I have tracked the RS3 (275mm), Rival (275mm), and ZII (285mm). None of them were close to the grip level of the A6 (245mm). The street tire group can hold about 1.1Gs in a turn while the skinnier A6 can hold 1.5Gs. Lap times are about 2-3 seconds different depending on the track.

Sounds like we'll be pulling at least 3Gs with these new fangled A7s. I hope I can complete at least one hot lap before passing out.

get a containment seat, outta be using one anyways with HANS brand...

Much too serious on the eve of a holiday weekend...

How much faster did you run on A6s?

I agree it would be nice to not need a new set of A6 for each event to remain competitive.

Ive never ran A's, not enough available points to run a size that would make sense.

AWD will be able to get more out of street tires than us with inferior 2WD. Regardless, use your available pts wisely.......and maybe that includes street tires. However, go to Nats with street tires and I'll bet you don't fair so well!

Also.....no offense to AWD cars, but difficult to use "record breaking" times for data comparison on cars that can't be compliance tested at the track. Hope NASA figures out a solution for this soon. Not saying people are knowingly over allowable limit but considering 2WD cars can be put a dyno at the track, it's only fair AWD cars are compliance tested for whp also!

• 1 month later...
The 2015 proposed tire point assessments will be posted next month sometime.

I know you guys are kinda snowed under by jackasses waiting until the last minute to get approval on stuff ahead of Nationals but is it possible to see what the 2015 tire point stuff will be?

• 3 weeks later...
Also.....no offense to AWD cars, but difficult to use "record breaking" times for data comparison on cars that can't be compliance tested at the track. Hope NASA figures out a solution for this soon. Not saying people are knowingly over allowable limit but considering 2WD cars can be put a dyno at the track, it's only fair AWD cars are compliance tested for whp also!

AGREED. This complete lack of trackside dyno testing of AWD cars is, to me, a BIG MISTAKE and almost completely invalidates dyno testing done on 2WD cars. Especially irksome after so many cars were DQ'd on an questionably run dyno at NASA Nationals East a week ago.

DSC_1438-M.jpg

It doesn't help that most if not all AWD cars run in NASA are also turbo cars, which have easy access to adjustable boost maps, which can alter horsepower significantly. There are already several LEGAL games you can play with a turbo car to meet power-to-weight limits yet have a FLAT POWER CURVE across 5000 rpms, but when you don't even dyno these cars, why would they even bother to taper off the boost at the top end? We've raced in turbo AWD cars and have seen first hand that it is painfully easy to cheat when the rules makers and organizers have no way of policing these cars.

Ive never ran A's, not enough available points to run a size that would make sense.

Didn't you run R7s at East Nats? Same points as As.

Yep, sure did. I had to run 225 R7's instead of the 245 R6's that I'd been using. Hoosier had stopped making them and didn't have any R6's available in my size anymore before nationals.

AGREED. This complete lack of trackside dyno testing of AWD cars is, to me, a BIG MISTAKE and almost completely invalidates dyno testing done on 2WD cars. Especially irksome after so many cars were DQ'd on an questionably run dyno at NASA Nationals East a week ago.

It doesn't help that most if not all AWD cars run in NASA are also turbo cars, which have easy access to adjustable boost maps, which can alter horsepower significantly. There are already several LEGAL games you can play with a turbo car to meet power-to-weight limits yet have a FLAT POWER CURVE across 5000 rpms, but when you don't even dyno these cars, why would they even bother to taper off the boost at the top end? We've raced in turbo AWD cars and have seen first hand that it is painfully easy to cheat when the rules makers and organizers have no way of policing these cars.

Amen Terry! However its got to the point where trackside dyno testing on turbo cars is somewhat irrelevant because of how easy it is to switch tunes between sessions or even on the fly. NASA needs to figure out how to use GPS data to compliance check cars. Period. That is the only we can know for sure if a car is legit or not. I'm not talking about 5-10hp differences either. I'm talking about getting 1 to 1.5 seconds quicker between sessions with no other 'changes' to the car. Going from pulling dead even on the straights in the morning sessions and then walking away after lunch...in the Texas heat. This does not take Einstein levels of technical knowledge to deduce. Nearly everybody has data on their cars now. We should all be willing to share our files and if not or if no data exists we should be slapping a Solo in cars if they are running at the front and setting records/winning tires. If they go from pulling .6g to .7g long accel between sessions or during a session they just broke the laws of physics. Sorry but that session gets DQ'ed. No dyno required! Its painfully obvious how easy it is to switch between tunes on these cars when they can show up on any given weekend and cherry pick which class to run in for contingencies by the press of a button. Its kind of like Home Run records in the steroid era, not saying everyone was doping but when its that easy to get away with it you gotta break out the asterisks.

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on testing, times or setup on either the new R7's or A7's? Reports I have heard thus far (with the exception of whatever testing NASA did one time) is that the R7's are not meeting expectations. Local record holder who is consistently fast holding records at Sears, Thunderhill, and Laguna was consistently slower on the R7's as compared to the R6's. I have not heard great stuff either about the A7's as yet. Perhaps the setups have not been correct. I am wondering a few things:

1) have people found these tires to warrant a different setup (camber, pressures, etc) as compared to the 6's?

2) how have other folks found these tires to perform as compared to the old 6's?

3) does it make sense to make these 13 and 22 pt tires based on a small sampling of data 'proving' they are faster?

It seems that we really don't have enough feedback/data/results on the tires to be able to provide much in the way of conclusions. Assigning 22 pts seems a bit ridiculous. Biting the hand of Hoosier, who has been generous with their contingencies, by making their tires more difficult to use also does not seem like a solid plan. I hope that I am wrong and perhaps some results/feedback from Eastern Nationals from those running the new 7's will show that they are in fact faster and stay consistent longer as I have always liked the R6's.