Dyno, and exemption from 5 point FI :penalty"

hyunjong

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some clarification with a rule.

Section 8.3 reads:

"Forced induction vehicles that have been classed or re-classed by the National TT Director based on Dyno testing are exempt from this additional five (+5) point assessment."

What if I dyno a Forced Induction car due to an additional ECU map, but keep the weight/power ratio within existing class limits. Can I also be exempt from the additional 5 point assessment?

Thanks ahead of time.

Read the rule.

The answer is no. You can submit for a dyno reclass though. In some cases the base class can remain the same and you will be given a maximum WHP and a minimum competition weight, then you will also not take any points for engine mods or weight reduction.

The hp/weight cap limits are typically not really breached unless it's a car that has some big flaws - like a Fox Mustang that can't stop and turn. Makes up time on straights, gives it back in corners. That sort of thing.

Dyno the car, ask for a reclass, see where you fall. Or take the +5 assesment that's a hold-over from where ECU reflashes used to be points mods - was +2 for NA and +7 for FI or something like that. Since it became far too difficult to police, they became a free mod but the spread between the two became that +5 automatic assesment for FI cars.

Edited by Guest

like a Mustang that can't stop and turn

Hater......

edited - got some love for the S197 - almost a properly designed chassis finally

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I can either

1) Take the 5 point penalty and reflash the ecu. HP gains are then arbitrary.

2) Get dynoed, ask for reclass, and even if I fall in the same class, I can remove the +5 assessment.

That is correct mostly. With option 1 you're stuck with the +5 pts either way, but you might as well reflash the ECU since it's a free mod and may yield some good gains.

With option 2 you don't take points for any power mods (which includes that +5pts for FI) but you have to stay under the whp cap you're given as part of the reclass in trade.

To add to option 1: WHP gains are not arbitrary in that you still have to stay within class limits for weight-to-power.

Thanks for the responses. They have been helpful.

In conclusion:

It seems, according to the rules, I can tune the ECU, request a dyno reclass, and if I fall within my class limits, I am then exempt from the 5 point penalty.