Toyo R1-R

Cooper93

Cooper93

Does anyone have experience with these tires?

Reasons I ask; I've heard bad things about the Dunlop Z2 and BFG Rival tires (neither like heat) and I'm not sure I want to chance it with either of those. I've heard good stuff about the RS-3 (new compound) like how they can handle heat better than their competition, which wasn't true about the old compound RS-3 vs the Dunlop Star Spec Z1 (almost a moot point here).

I know the R1-R has a 140 UTQG rating and the RS-3 is at 200 (almost apples vs oranges, but both tires are +2 points), but the price point between the two tires is very negligible. It's obvious I'd pick the R1-R unless it's garbage.

BIG PICTURE:

Currently, I'm having to run TTE due to being 271 lbs underweight. I am definitely NOT competitive in TTE due to lack of power, tires, and having to take a 19 point weight penalty. I am planning on adding around 100 lbs ballast to get back to TTF (and still run TTE if I choose) and I am shuffling points around. The easiest way for me to move points around is with tires and ballast. I don't plan to add power (a cam is about all you can do to a SOHC Honda) because I will be doing an engine swap in the near future in preparation for HC1.

Any and all help/advice will be appreciated!

It was my understanding that Hankook did not actually change the compound of the RS-3s and only changed the tread rating. I was told at the tire store that the original 140 was the same tire as the 200 rated. In any case, mine seem to handle the heat very well in a heavy car.

the R1R is a great a-x tire … especially for light weight cars … but for extended track use, you run the risk of them getting greasy very quickly

when a-x'ing them I start spraying them after the first run (unless cold ambient temps) and a lap on track would be longer and you're leaning on the harder than I am on a 60 sec a-x course

full tread they're pretty good in standing water … even damp track

nickhallman914

I have a set of Z2's that I use for wets and to "play" on during the afternoon sessions when the track starts to get hot and greasy. I can get about 5-6 laps in before they start to get greasy, and even then they still work OK if you don't abuse them. Braking grip goes away before lateral grip does. Wear has been fantastic, and while I think they are starting to heat cycle out, I can still get within 2 seconds of my time on a fresh SM7 at CMP. This after 150+ laps and 25+ heat cycles at CMP, Roebling, and Road Atlanta.

I don't have any experience with the other tires, but the Z2 has worked nicely for me. The Miata is only 2335 lbs w/driver, though, and I do hear that the Z2 doesn't work nearly as well on heavier cars.

I've used ZII' since July of last year and love them. When I went to purchase them The rep for tirerack said if you are going to be doing any wet track driving to get the ZII. I've driven on both wet and dry and they hold up well. I personally wouldn't change to any other tire in the same category (200 UTQG). Once these wear I will move up to comp tires and go to a smaller wheel. My car weighs 2750 with my fat ass in it!!

Walt

Focus #019

Cooper,

I feel you on the whole lack of power and weight issue. I'm in the same boat with the focus. I'm 31 HP below where I need to be and if I add comp tires it puts me in TTD. I figure when I do my engine build I can move to TTD with comps. but for now I have to live with what I have. the worst part is that back in January I did add stage 3 cams and have yet to see any HP gains. So if I tune AGAIN (4th time) this week and do not see any gains I will put my stock cams back and add the comp tires. As far as weight goes I had to add 55 pounds of ballast to be legal and not take points. I wish they would allow for me to keep the 55 pounds off since I would still be in the correct weight/hp ratio for TTE but I guess it doesn't work that way.

Walt

Focus #019

try being TTF with 19 pts on 400 TW m+s tires … so that even the worst of the a-x tires puts you into TTE … so I might as well run R-Comps

like Jeff pointed out to me when I started TT … when you run with 2 different sanctioning bodies, you build to one and the other falls wherever

Cooper93

Good info guys. Keep the stories coming.

I ran the Z1 Star Specs on my WRX and absolutely loved them.

I can add 100lbs, remove the Mugen front lip and Spoon rear wing, add a +2 tire and drop back into TTF, or I can do those things and add R comps and maybe I'll be a little more competitive in TTE. I'm just glad I have some options that are easy.

Cooper93

I can add 100lbs, remove the Mugen front lip and Spoon rear wing, add a +2 tire and drop back into TTF, or I can do those things and add R comps and maybe I'll be a little more competitive in TTE. I'm just glad I have some options that are easy.

Cooper93

• 3 weeks later...