Miata-based Exomotive Exocet classification seems optimistic

hufflepuff

I saw that the Exomotive Exocet has been pre-approved to run as a "production type" vehicle with modifiers in ST123/TT123.

A "basic" Exocet build would involve using the stock, or near stock, NA or NB miata foundation (engine, brakes, tranny, rear end) and less than 245 width street tires. Using the ST123 calculator, assuming optimistically:

- 130 whp (high for a pre-99 miata, could be achieved with bolt-ons?)

- weight of 1530# with driver (which is probably low, considering they are 1400# claimed at lightest)

- no aero

- skinny DOT tires (i'd run 205/50/15 NT01 or Maxxis RC-1 cuz i'm cheap )

You're sitting around 12.0, which is under the PTC/TTC limit. In order to hope to be competitive in ST123, you'd need turbo and aero, which is beyond a "simple" build.

My question is should the exocet be allowed to run in PTC/PTB if it's a "basic" build and meets the power:weight limitations? I'm just looking to do a bare-bones, reliable build (almost everything stock, including brakes and drivetrain) and not be put in a class i'd be killed in.

Thoughts?

more and more non-production stuff is getting moved out of TTB-F, unlikely to get one moved in.

Build the #@$%#$% out of it for TT3 - sounds like it could be the hot ticket on the twistier tracks. Alternative to the Factory Five 818R and such

I was hoping to retain stock engine for cost and durability. I have no doubt that in any trim it would be fun and balanced and have low operating costs.

I was hoping to retain stock engine for cost and durability. I have no doubt that in any trim it would be fun and balanced and have low operating costs.

This would be awesome in an exocet!

http://www.kmiata.com/

For sure! Could make a competitive tt123 car. But turbo seems more cost effective.

This would be awesome in an exocet!

http://www.kmiata.com/

For sure! Could make a competitive tt123 car. But turbo seems more cost effective.

Only until it heat soaks or blows up! Not much more cost than a quality turbo setup, especially if you have to put pistons/rods/damper in the BP to make it reliable. Pretty easy to make 240 wheel on a K24 I think. Just an idea, if you're wanting to stick with naturally aspirated/oem reliability.

Since the adjustment factors in this example basically cancel themselves out, you're only left calculating the unadjusted ratio:

1530 lbs / 130 whp = 11.76 ratio (per your example)

Figure it backwards to max out in TT3:

1530 lbs / 9.0:1 ratio = 170 whp

My buddy has a mildly supercharged TTC 1.8L Miata that makes 183 at the tires. So, getting the Exocet's adjusted ratio to the limit of TT3 is not hard.

Mark

My friend's 2006 TSX K24A2-swapped EG hatch with only intake/2006 Si RBC intake manifold/header/exhaust/tune made 239whp/181wtq.

If you're limited to around 170whp you may want to consider a K24A1 (9.6:1, early CR-V) or K24A4 (9.7:1, early Accord and Element). You would be able to easily hit 170whp/170wtq with bolt-ons and a tune.