Engine Related Question .....

McMahonRacing

Hi Guys ...

Pondering a new motor for my car and thought I would ask here given the # of Ford products and the history:

ST2

Factory Five Challenge Car

2720 lb min w/ driver

Fully caged

Aero

Presently have a small motor, carb'ed 302 making 297whp/277wtq

w/ my deduction it puts me at roughly 8.85 in an 8.0 class

Would like to get much closer to 8.0 so say roughly 327whp w/ no torque limitations.

This doesn't seem reasonable w/ a stock block 302 if I want it to live, so open to suggestions if you have any.

Thanks Much

Pat

ST2 - # 11 - NE

• Members

I'm running a 302 based 331. It's a zero balance motor based on an Eagle crank, H-beam rods, and Mahle 3.3cc dish forged pistons. I'm using 0.027" Cometic head gaskets and AFR 165's (61cc) 1.90/1.60 heads. That nets right at 10.0:1 with a 4.030 bore and 0.012 top of piston to deck. With long tubes and an x-pipe, it dyno'd at 370/379 HP/TQ. The rotating assy was spin balancedand I'm running an aluminum flywheel and ATI balancer. Intake is a TFS "Track Heat" with 30# "red top" FR inejctors, 75mm T-Body, 80mm MAF, and a large conical air filter. Headers are BBK Longtube (1 5/8" primaries). Cam is a catalog cam from Comp Cams with a wide LSA and moderate duration and approx 0.550 lift with 1.6 FR roller rockers.

It's on a throttle stop and ended up at 325/349 HP/TQ.

Thanks .... sounds just like what I need power wise, is the block stock or DART ..... didn't think the stockers would like that kinda power for long (already have two stock blocks w/ broken cranks & mains, always assumed the crank failed and took the block ...... Thanks - Pat

• Members

I'm running a stock block at the moment with a zero balance setup. I only have about 10 hours on this engine, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for no issues.

I have been thru several stock blocks. Don't go there. If you stay carb you need more cid to get good torque unlike efi. The ford boss 302 block is nice but has shallow bores and don't recommend any more than a 3.25" stroke. The dart shp block is deeper and can take a 3.4 stroke. So I suggest a 347 zero balance forged dart block setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys .....BOSS, yea I had heard that and some had a weaker casting at the rear as well and can only run a Mahle due to the skirt length, some little things ...... DART SHP, been leaning this way since I lost the last motor ...... all depends on home long I can make the present motor last ( I highly suspect it will be DART, unless I have a mid season issue and no time, again ---- in which case I will have to run a crate motor 350/400 or 415/400 sealed version from FMS ) ..... pretty much anything should feel better than the refreshed 345hp crate motor I have now ( 297 whp / 277 wtq ) .... Thanks - Pat