Wheel Size Question

gjkasten

I'm in the process of building a 1996 M3 to run in GTS2 next year and am trying to make sense of different wheel sizes which can handle the same size tire.

17x8.5 vs 17x9 with 255/40-17 tires.

Assuming that both wheels fit the car, what is going to be the ride/performance/other type of issue that I may experience?

If it matters, the two wheels in question are TR Motorsports C2 (8.5 inch) vs D-Force LTW5 (9 inch). I know there is a weight difference, but I am doing this on a budget so if there is not a significant reason to go with the 9 inch wheel I'd like to keep costs down and run the 8.5.

Theoretically the wider wheel will perform better, mainly due to improved driver feedback. In practice it won't be making any difference.

I don't know anything about the TRM wheels, but I don't believe the D-force wheels are strong enough for track use - quite a few people have cracked and outright broken them. I know one guy who broke more than one and there was this mustang on a flatbed at Sonoma last year... New wheels which are well manufactured would be best, but I expect you'd be safer with some used wheels from Apex, Enkei, Oz, etc. Kosei K1's seem to break rather a lot as well.