GTS participation

txcoyote

Hi all,

I race vintage with CVAR and SVRA and also will from time to time run with SCCA and was thinking I might add NASA to the mix since I think I need to spend more money at racing My question is: It seems that my car specs out as a GTS 2 car and in looking at the results from previous races there is only 1-2 competitors at any given event. Is this a class on the rise or decline? Alternatively, what other class could I compete in. My P/W index is around upper 14's, lower 15's.

Hi Russ,

It really does depend on the region. On the east coast right now, GTS2 is very popular. I live in Ohio (Great Lakes region) and GTS2 was big (typically 8+ cars) several years ago but now most of those guys have moved to GTS3 or GTS4. So, it goes in waves. Depending on what you drive, you might be able to get into another class competitively. GTS1 starts at 18.5. You'd have to ballast up for that.

If you have a way of easily making a bit more power, or if there's extra weight you can get out of the car, GTS3 would be the way to go. On slicks (as opposed to DOT race tires like Hoosier R6s), you can get down to 12.0 lb/hp in GTS3.

Nationally, GTS3 is the biggest class but that varies by region, too.

Good luck!