Dyno

Will F.

wish I was close enough to pw-wt to worry about this

are you on a dyno reclass or are you just trying to make the ptb/ttb pw/wt threshold?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sperkins

• Balroks

• circuitmstr

• Red Tornado

are you on a dyno reclass or are you just trying to make the ptb/ttb pw/wt threshold?

Regardless, I appreciate Jeremiah's desire to get on an AWD dyno since the rest of us HAVE to get on a 2wd dyno. He is welcome in ST anytime he wants to play.

-Kevin

Regardless, I appreciate Jeremiah's desire to get on an AWD dyno since the rest of us HAVE to get on a 2wd dyno. He is welcome in ST anytime he wants to play.

-Kevin

Bob-e, I dont believe I will be close to the pw/wt limit in b, as ive been on other dyno's and was well below it. I just want the opportunity to make sure the dyno being used for compliance doesn't differ significantly from the one ive been on. Its more peace of mind than anything.

Kevin, thanks!

The Dyno concerns me. If it is not done right, it can ruin someones weekend. I have it happen because the Dyno operators put the sensors near teh heat of the car and it GREATLY effects the readings. And to have no way to Dyno at the track prior to running is even more concerning. I called teh dyno people very soon after teh email and got the same "Full" and "we will get you in" story. This is riduclious if it is going to be used for complaince after a race. I talked to some people at my last race and they have experience with this Dyno and it ain't good.

I'm not making it to Nationals, but it does seem completely insane to bring a dyno from CA, that people can't get on before the race weekend (the 1 day before clearly isn't enough time). Why on earth bring one from CA in the first place? The guy has to be getting paid enough to make it worth his while, so it's obviously costing a hell of lot more than to have someone local do it.

At the very least, NASA should qualify a local dyno for the event so people can go tune there and get certified results for the weekend. Then, if they get pulled for the dyno at the track and it shows them to be illegal, their car can be taken (by NASA, not the owner), to the local certified dyno, and run there. If it comes back as legal on the local dyno that they just got their certification from, then it overrules the dyno at the track. If the car is found to be illegal on the local dyno as well, then the driver is DQ'd.

I would totally agree with the above, and having an in-ground 424x across from the track sounds like an excellent business opportunity. However my question would be why hasn't there been any (conclusive) discussion on the accuracy or inaccuracy of the GPS compliance testing eg Traqmate, DL1 etc? It would seem FAR more cost effective to put the cost ON the competitor given the growing number of competitors, and they'd have all the time in the world to test it locally. Technically most of us should have some kind of Data, and it's been what 3 or 4 years since data testing was announced? Then if that gets argued against, dyno as the backup. WTCC, Coni, and many others have been doing this for years.

• Members

Hey folks,

In addition to the dyno running all day Thursday, we've arranged to have the dyno run on Wednesday from 3pm-8pm. Please contact MCE Racing for reservations. 530.934.3237

I've been trying to get them set up with Kurgan for a while now. You can literally drive your race car there from the track and only be on the main road for 1/4 mile. Kurgan are good guys. I thought it may be an issue with the relationship with Balanced performance being a sponsor. The more dyno's the better. Don't see why both couldn't be used. Allows more compliance testing, more room for protests etc.

I'll volunteer to test on each dyno back to back for accuracy. Assuming it's free (for me).

Kurgan is moving to a new shop on/by the 18th, so they won't be in that location by the time nationals happens.

Kurgan is moving to a new shop on/by the 18th, so they won't be in that location by the time nationals happens.

Where are they going?

• Members
However my question would be why hasn't there been any (conclusive) discussion on the accuracy or inaccuracy of the GPS compliance testing eg Traqmate, DL1 etc? It would seem FAR more cost effective to put the cost ON the competitor given the growing number of competitors, and they'd have all the time in the world to test it locally. Technically most of us should have some kind of Data, and it's been what 3 or 4 years since data testing was announced? Then if that gets argued against, dyno as the backup. WTCC, Coni, and many others have been doing this for years.

A couple years ago I had to build a new SpecE30. The engine that came with the donor seemed sound so I figured I'd give it a try for a couple races and see how it did.

The new engine felt weak compared to the engine in the destroyed SpecE30, but it was hard to be sure. So I spent a couple days going thru old Traqmate data. I had years of data from my old car, and I had data for CMP and RA for the new car. I also had data from numerous other SpecE30's. I figured that I'd be able to determine the relative strength of the engine pretty easily.

I was wrong about that. It was pretty damned hard.

Each time I thought I had a valid comparison set up, I'd come up with a flaw in the reasoning. I'm an engineer and a computer geek. As such I suck at neither physics nor data. After several evenings of focused effort I decided that I could ID with some certainty a 5hp delta between otherwise identical SpecE30s. Less than 5hp, maybe not. But as soon as you throw in 1lb tolerance on flywheels, clutch disks that can vary by 2lbs, pressure plates that can vary by 3lbs, and wheels that can vary by 2lbs on each corner, the 5hp resolution flies out the window.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard lots of dyno horror stories from nationals last weekend.... As someone in a dyno capped class and hoping to do nationals next year at VIR, what happened and what is being done about it? With the current situation, I'm not sure it's worth the effort to make a Nationals run next season.....

VIR has an in-ground dyno (thankfully). For next year, that in-ground dyno and a portable dyno should be used in case there is an issue.

A repeat of the RA dyno situation would, I think, be the death knell of the championship-type event, and the RA situation is likely to have some negative repercussions on future entries. A properly functioning dyno is fundamentally important to the integrity of most classes and a smoothly run event.

VIR has an in-ground dyno (thankfully). For next year, that in-ground dyno and a portable dyno should be used in case there is an issue.

A repeat of the RA dyno situation would, I think, be the death knell of the championship-type event, and the RA situation is likely to have some negative repercussions on future entries. A properly functioning dyno is fundamentally important to the integrity of most classes and a smoothly run event.

But is the in-ground dyno the "NASA approved" dyno?

The dynos weather station had some problems early on, including cooking in the metal trailer. This made for an inflated correction factor, and thus HP. This was dealt with early after the first day. After that, they dyno was pretty consistent between runs for the cars I pulled, and many were cutting it close. My top 4 were all between 136 & 139.8 HP+TQ/2, all legal (140.0 cap).

Apart from the issues with the dyno's weather station, the UNCORRECTED numbers were skewed and not repeatable. Some cars were low, some were high. I saw one car dyno with nearly a 20rwhp variance in power between it's 4 pulls. One car dyno-ed 70rwhp over what it actually makes!

Frustrating for sure...I wound up carrying an extra 300 lbs. of lead just to be "legal"

ballasting up because of the dyno was pretty common in our group. The issue was; the guys who had no chance of getting on the podium (and therefor no post race dyno) didn't do anything to be "legal" on this dyno...

I was on two different dyno's with in 7 day's of the event in Charlotte at around the same temp and humidity and they were with in 1 hp and 2 tq of each other.The dyno at the track read 4% higher on both hp and tq!