Time Trial TTE: Points Advice

hyunjong

Hello everyone,

I wanted to seek out some advise on how to spend points on my car. I do not yet have any Time Trial experience, but I would hope to do so in the near future. In the mean time, I want to be conscientous about how I mod my car in preperation for future TT events.

I currently drive a 5dr. 2013 VW GTI. The car is also equipped with DSG (+6pts)

Base class: TTE

200whp

~3160 base weight

~3300 Min. Competition weight

It is a FI vehicle, but I plan on getting a tune/dyno-reclass, which will allow me to stay within TTE and waive the +5 FI penalty.

This leaves me with 13 points to work with. As of now, I am considering the following options.

Option #1a: Shocks + Tires

+3 for Shocks

+9 (10-1) for 225 width Hoosier R6, Kumho V710

Total: 12 points

OR

Option 1b:

+3 for Shocks

+9 for 235 Toyo RRs

Total: 12 points

Option #2: Tires only

+12 (13-1) for 225 width BFG R1 or Hoosier A6

What will be the quickest setup? I am curious if anyone has had any experience with similar options. Throwing this out there because I want to be thoughtful on how to mod my car and to maximize ROI.

Thanks!

I had one of those before I got the FoST. Great street car but on track it understeered, and the stability control couldn't be fully defeated which was a fun time killer. Until you fix that, you're just wasting tires.

Recommend as much front camber as you can possibly get, the biggest rear swaybar you can find (maybe two of 'em welded together), then everything else. Like... good shock/spring package and the stickiest tire you can run with whatever points you have left.

Hope it helps

• 2 months later...

I think you'd have more fun out there with a nice rear bar like mentioned previously and TD or RR or even an NT01. My NT01 last for freaking ever and have good grip. The shocks on a GTI are probably decent and they're fairly new, so i wouldn't rush out and change them. The rear bar will help it rotate and feel more lively. If the OEM shocks are pretty decent, you could go with a coilover sleeve and some stiffer springs, if they can handle the lowering and higher rate.

+1 on a big rear sway bar

However IMHO if you have not done any TT before I would buy cheap Federal 595RSR street tires and the rest of the money on more seat time.

I only ran my 2012 GTI 6MT for one weekend at Watkins Glen, but my opinion is that the car has a good chance to be competitive.

TTE:

8 Toyo RR or Hankook TD 225's

6 DSG

3 limited slip diff

2 Sway bars

If you want to be really competitive, run TTD with a stage 2 tune:

5 for FI

6 DSG

12 Hoosier A6 225's

1 intake

2 downpipe

1 catalytic converter

3 limited slip diff

2 sway bars

2 springs

3 shocks

2 brakes

Either way, look into all of the points free stuff:

Get some kind of camber plate kit to properly set alignment

Vag-com to enable fully disengaging ESC, set XDS to high, and set brake assist to low

Get a custom dyno tune so you are at peak HP for as wide an RPM range as possible (should be easy for TTE power, harder for TTD)

Get good race pads and lightweight 2-piece rotors

Fabricate some real front brake cooling ducts

Get good light wheels, I suggest Enkei RPF-1 17x9 (yes 9" wide for 225's)

Get a real racing seat and harness

Move as much weight as you can down low to the middle of the car (i.e. remove spare tire and back seat and replace that weight with ballast on the back seat floor somewhere, put the battery down there too)

In 2012 I ran 2:20 at WGI in TTD and won with a mostly stock car, all I had was a tune, brake pads, and 225 Hankook RS3's with stock alignment - I literally had only 6 points (5 for FI, 1 for tires). Last year someone in TTD ran 2:14. I think with another 33 points and some practice the car could have picked up those 6 seconds to still be competitive.

Good luck, and if you want a cheap set of Porterfield R4 race pads send me a PM. I still have mine in the basement only used for 2 days. $100 + shipping for front and rear.