Made my own Carbon Fiber steering wheel

AJ Hartman

In an effort to keep finding ways to loose weight, I finally ditched the stock steering column and dash. I like the look of the dash but with the dash rule being removed this season helped me make the decision. Collectively lost almost 30lbs total (including the weight re added by the dash bar and new parts). Last year I purchased Fulcrum Aero and have been expanding into more and more composites and wanted to make a thick, semi stressed part so figured I'd try a steering wheel. Yes, THE PART WAS STESS TESTED IN TURNING AND PUSHING cause I know someone will ask! I built a jig to turn it to 4 times the force needed to turn the wheels with the car stationary and vertical deflection was almost identical to the wheel that came off given the same weight. The wheel is 18 layers of carbon (exact layup schedule and layer thickness is a secret tho) and weighs only 7ounces and the wheel that came off was 32oz. (about a 78% weight savings!) I have not driven with it yet so don't know how I will like it or not.

IMG_1536_zps742d8889.jpg

IMG_1535_zps2217a0e4.jpg