Coil pack for H2 with D16

ELO168

Is Hondata Coil Pack Retrofit allowed in H2 for D16z6?

I know it allows the AEM coil on plug conversion kit part# 30-2860, but that is for the B-series only.

The current HC rules don't allow the Hondata COP system, but per Jeremy Croiset, they are reviewing a request to add it. As I use Hondata, and may eventually use the Hondata COP system, I started asking about this in Jan 2014, and I included a portion of the e-mails below. FYI... - Jim

In Jan 2014 I wrote to Jeremy:

I noticed that the new 2014 HC rules allow AEM COP kit 30-2860, so that is nice that a COP kit is now allowed. I've got Hondata S300, and I believe that I would need to use the Hondata CPR kit http://www.hondata.com/hondata_coil_pack_retrofit.html as the AEM kit doesn't work with the Hondata S300. Should the rules allow all COP kits, and not just the AEM kit??? It seems like with the HP caps per engine, that any COP kit should be acceptable instead of just the AEM kit. Thanks!! – Jim

And got the reply:

You are correct in stating the aem kit is the only kit currently allowed. That is because it was the only kit submitted in the original request to allow the cop system. With that said, we are currently reviewing a request to allow the hondata system as well. Please check back with me in about two weeks if you've not seen something posted to the honda challenge section of the forums regarding it.

In early June, as the Hondata COP system was still not mentioned in the HC rules, I checked back with Jeremy, and he wrote:

A version of the Hondata COP was submitted and we are working to approve a setup for HC. We don't want it completely open or unrestricted, so we are working on putting together something that will work for all.

Hopefully, they won't restrict this too much, like for instance, I believe that a variety of coils will work, so hopefully they won't restrict that especially as they still have the hp caps in place. - Jim

Good info Jim, I also wrote to Jeremy but no reply yet.

Yeah we should not be limited to AEM only. That is kit is over $800 vs Hondata $390.

Yeah we should not be limited to AEM only. That is kit is over $800 vs Hondata $390.

I could not agree with you more.

I have been running the Hondata Coil Pack from shortly after its release. I was going through broken rotors, broken caps, broken distributors. That all ended with the installation of the Hondata COP. It has been nothing but absolutely flawless from the day it was installed nearly 18 months ago (early adopter).

It is also a bargain by comparison to the AEM system. Not to mention you've got to have the AEM running the engine as well, so throw another $1300 on top of that $800.

I can highly recommend Hondata COP. It has been put through its paces with a b16a operating at 9350 rpm redline and ended all my problems and issues with ignition.

Can't really figure out the email exchange between Jim and Jeremy either. Things get done quicker in Washington D.C.

• 2 weeks later...

i personally think it is complete junk to NOT allow all manufacturers COP setups......

really??? only one company??? you think a COP from company x is gonna give an advantage over company y???

by only allowing one company with the COP that is the same thing as only allowing company Y for ecu tuning......

hmmmmmm......hand in cookie jar?

i personally think it is complete junk to NOT allow all manufacturers COP setups......

really??? only one company??? you think a COP from company x is gonna give an advantage over company y???

by only allowing one company with the COP that is the same thing as only allowing company Y for ecu tuning......

hmmmmmm......hand in cookie jar?

This.

A monopoly on what brand modifications can be performed...sounds more like Spec Miata and less like a Challenge series...

Actually Jeremy replied to me.

He said the kit have been approved and will become legal shortly.

Will keep you guys posted.

Meanwhile I will buy the kit and install it.

• 5 weeks later...

hmm. The 2014 Rule Addendum (7-18-18) states:

10.2 H2 Limited Preparation Vehicles Only

Vehicles may follow section 8 in addition to the following allowances:

o) Any ignition system that utilizes the original OEM type distributor for engine positioning is permitted. External ignition coil(s) as well as external igniters may be utilized in lieu of internal distributor components. Crankfire ignitions and cam triggers are prohibited unless fitted as OEM. AEM users are permitted to use the AEM engine position module in place of the OEM distributor as part of the permitted. AEM coil on plug kit. AEM coil on plug conversion kit part# 30-2860 permitted.

I don't read this stuff very well. Does this ok the Hondata COP?

hmm. The 2014 Rule Addendum (7-18-18) states:

10.2 H2 Limited Preparation Vehicles Only

Vehicles may follow section 8 in addition to the following allowances:

o) Any ignition system that utilizes the original OEM type distributor for engine positioning is permitted. External ignition coil(s) as well as external igniters may be utilized in lieu of internal distributor components. Crankfire ignitions and cam triggers are prohibited unless fitted as OEM. AEM users are permitted to use the AEM engine position module in place of the OEM distributor as part of the permitted. AEM coil on plug kit. AEM coil on plug conversion kit part# 30-2860 permitted.

I don't read this stuff very well. Does this ok the Hondata COP?

How I read it I would say no.

This part: External ignition coil(s) as well as external igniters may be utilized in lieu of internal distributor components says to me that yes a coil-on-plug conversion is fine BUT only if the distributor and spark plug wires are somehow still utilized. The way it is worded assumes you still have the distributor and spark plug wires. It does not say that the distributor (like the wording for the AEM kit) or external distributor components may be removed or substituted for other components. Neither do these:

7.1.a) Spark plugs and ignition wires may be replaced with others of unrestricted origin.

7.1.b) Ignition timing is unrestricted.

8.2.a) Any ignition system that utilizes the original OEM type distributor for spark delivery is permitted. Internal

distributor components and cap may be replaced with others of non-OEM origin. An external ignition

coil may be added. Crankfire ignitions are prohibited unless fitted as OEM.

I know that something needs to be specifically stated as being able to be removed because of this:

4.9.h) Factory dash bar may be replaced with roll cage tubing that is incorporated into the roll cage design provided it meets or exceeds minimum tubing size and wall thickness requirements of main hoop.

Honda Challenge cages are allowed to be way more involved than PT cages (like mine). My cage was built around the fact that the factory dash bracing was completely removed and a cage dash bar would replace it for column mounting and safety. I, apparently, was lucky that 1.5" .095 would suffice. I assumed that removing all of the dash "tin" tubing would be ok.

If I'm wrong, it needs to have more specific wording. The old "if it doesn't say you can, then you can't" always seems to apply way more than I think.

You can run the COP in H1 or H2.

Jeremy confirmed it on Facebook.

"Jeremy Croiset Read it again Erik. You can now run the Honda COP kit in H1 and H2."

Read it carefully.

Any ignition system that utilizes the original OEM type distributor for engine positioning is permitted. External ignition coil(s) as well as external igniters may be utilized in lieu of internal distributor components.

Re-read how the Hondata COP system works. It still utilizes the OEM distributor. Therefore, it is legal based on that wording.

It would be nice if they added "ex. Hondata CPR System" to the rules to clarify that piggyback COP systems are allowed.

"Jeremy Croiset Read it again Erik. You can now run the Honda COP kit in H1 and H2."

Link to this please...

Link to this please...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those of you putting the COP systems on, could you report back and let us know what you thought?

Power improvements anywhere?

Smoother power?

Easier to use in any way?

My thought is it's going to be a no to all, but I'm curious if you guys don't mind sharing.