Moving from DE 3 to DE 4/TT

wera44

Is there a set number of weekends I must do to go into group 4 or TT? I have only done 4 weekends in the car but I have 10 years of road racing motorcycle experience. I like doing the track days and I'm learning a lot but I'm miss the competition and want to try TT then move into a spec class. I have 1 weekend in DE 1, 2 weekends in DE 2 and I just did the Road A weekend in DE 3. Since 4 sessions of the 8 are already mixed with DE 4 I don't really see it as a huge jump. Can I just get a checkout ride/follow at my next event to move? I'm not looking to jump ahead of myself here but I'm just looking forward to competing. Opinions welcome.

Thanks

Jason

There is no "set number" of weekends required before moving up to the next level. It all depends on the driver, their skills & their knowledge of the club's rules.

Even though they were combined DE3 & DE4 run grps, they were run under DE3 rules which are passing anywhere but ONLY with a point-by. I know not everyone abides by that set of rules but that's supposed to be how it's done. DE4 has open passing anywhere with no point-by necessary, so it is quite a jump in that respect as situational awareness has to be that much higher.

While you might have many years of competition experience, it might be worth your while to drive in DE3 for at least one more event so you can learn the rules NASA-SE runs with. I'd also recommend going over the CCR to familiarize yourself with the set of rules NASA runs under. If you think you're ready for it, get yourself a yellow #4 for the back of your car & run in DE3 with it to see how you do.

If you want to pursue the TT angle, get in touch with Jeff England, TT Director, who will give you a check ride to see if he'll allow you to obtain a TT license.

You can also sign-up for Comp School, if you're approved & have a race car that has an annual inspection. (Just an FYI, not everyone passes Comp School. We've had at least one person fail it the last two times it was held.)

Even though they were combined DE3 & DE4 run grps, they were run under DE3 rules which are passing anywhere but ONLY with a point-by. I know not everyone abides by that set of rules but that's supposed to be how it's done. DE4 has open passing anywhere with no point-by necessary, so it is quite a jump in that respect as situational awareness has to be that much higher.

later in your post you mentioned the yellow 4 … the no point by passing with the 4 on the back of your car means no point by necessary, regardless of the group … correct ? even in DE1 ? correct ? (though the courteous thing to do would be to still give point by's)

later in your post you mentioned the yellow 4 … the no point by passing with the 4 on the back of your car means no point by necessary, regardless of the group … correct ? even in DE1 ? correct ? (though the courteous thing to do would be to still give point by's)

INcorrect!!!

The Yellow #4 rule ONLY applies to DE3.

ALL passing in DE1 & DE2 is with a point-by only & only to the right side of the car. (The right-side only passing is a Southeast Regional thing. Other regions may do it differently.)

Thanks Sonny, when you mentioned the yellow 4 in class I went in got it. I enjoyed the passing without a point-by. Ill be sure to check out the rule book closely and give DE 3 another weekend. I have considered the comp school but I'll stick to the route I'm on now. I have basically a Spec E30 but because on the suspension and exhaust it doesn't fit into spec e30 class. Since I wanted to do TT first I wasn't in a hurry to change out my fully adjustable stuff for the spec suspension. Do you need a license to get an annual inspection? if not I could do that and have it done in anticipation of being able to race at some point. Sorry for the questions I'm sure I could find the answers somewhere.

INcorrect!!!

The Yellow #4 rule ONLY applies to DE3.

ALL passing in DE1 & DE2 is with a point-by only & only to the right side of the car. (The right-side only passing is a Southeast Regional thing. Other regions may do it differently.)

thanks … if you noticed the ? marks, I was asking for clarification, not stating a fact

I found the DE3 combined with DE4 to be very intense and the last time out at CMP virtually every DE3 session was combined with DE4 and there were lots of cars out there. And Sonny is right that the DE3 rules are supposed to be followed but sometimes they were and sometimes they weren't. Throw a bunch of cars with yellow 4's on them and it seemed pretty close to DE4 to me.

Having said that, I loved every minute of it. I felt like it required a whole new level of awareness but I was never uncomfortable.

So I'm at about the same point as the OP. Do you need a check ride to move from DE3 to DE4?

• Members
You do not need a TT or Comp License to get an annual inspection for your car. Look here for more information on how to do it. However, 2 of the links on that page don't work. Here are the links to some of the forms you'll need:

Annual Race Car Technical Form

Annual Race Car Inspector's Form

I fixed the original annual page with the updated links...