Don't skimp on your safety gear

mglobe

You never know when you might need it!

This was my first race in my new-to-me 94. It was a great car, and I was pretty quick in it in practice, quali, and the first two laps of the race. Unfortunately the race ended abruptly. I walked away without a scratch on me. Wasn't even sore the next day.

The guy that tagged me is a stand-up guy who just made a mistake. He owned up to it immediately, and there's no animosity between us at all.

The car had a MiataCage cage in it. If you have any doubt about how effective this cage is when properly welded, this should set that to rest. It very well may have saved my life. Credit also to OGRacing who's seat replacement program for NASA racers I will unfortunately be using.

The guy that tagged me is a stand-up guy who just made a mistake....

there's no animosity between us at all.

Not sure how you can say that after watching the video.

Looked like a blatant pit maneuver to me.

Glad you're ok. That was nasty.

Glad you're ok. Honest, that was too huge to dismiss simply as a "mistake". You were in front and there was no other traffic influencing the situation. Stand up guy or not, you could have been seriously injured. I would expect some form of disciplinary action.

The guy misjudged whether or not he was clear of my bumper. Was it a bad mistake? Absolutely. I just don't believe it was an intentional punt. If I thought that, things would have gotten ugly quick in the paddock. Things were pretty ugly while I was still in the car, that's for sure. Probably a good thing that it took a while for them to get me back to the paddock!

As far as disciplinary action, that is up to NASA TX. He was DQ'd for that race. I don't know if NASA will go any further, but surely if they allowed folks to do that sort of thing regularly all of us would vote with our feet and race elsewhere.

I've already found a tub for next to nothing and we will start rebuilding ASAP.

Wow, amazing video! Also amazing what modern safety gear can do! Glad you came out well (physically).

Haha Eric! You know me enough to know I wasn't right mentally going in to it!

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! Stand up guy as he wrote you a check for the damage he clearly caused based on the video? It truly baffles me how some people obtain a comp license and more crazy how they retain one. You are lucky you made it unscathed. Stuff like this gets my blood hot. Racing for plastic trophies for goodness sake!