Noobe going CMP

Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner

Hi, I am going to CMP for my first HPDE1 if I can get my car ready. I have a kit car that I just back together yesterday and then for a bad caliper when I took it for a test drive. I hope to find the parts tomorrow. I hope to meet some you there.

Welcome to NASA. Hope you get the car ready in time. That is usually our biggest struggle prior to each race

Walter

Focus #19

Welcome. You will have a great time.

If the car's never had a proper shake-down be sure to go over the tech inspection form with a fine-toothed comb. It will maximize your fun and lower your instructor's blood pressure.

Ridgerunner

The car is a La Bala. I thought I had worked all the mechanical issues last year. I put about 500 miles on it. I then started getting the body ready for paint and the car has been sitting for about 8 months. I just got the body on Saturday and when for a test drive and the caliper locked up. I installed a rebuilt caliper and when for another test drive and a rod end broke that hold the front end up. I just spent about 2 hours getting the car off the side of the road right at the same place the caliper had locked up. I do not think I am going to go that way on my next test drive. . I will be looking for parts in the morning and hope I can get it back together. I am wondering if I should just sit this one out?

matthugie

If you have any doubts as to the mechanical soundness of the car then skip it. A caliper locking up or rod breaking on the street at 35 mph is dangerous, at 100+ mph everything is multiplied exponentially. You could kill yourself, your instructor, and take out other cars on track.

kbrew8991

I had to google that one, never heard of it before:

http://www.grabercars.com/

didn't see much about what running gear and such it uses though...

If all else fails rent a car for the event. Your first day of HPDE1 will still be incredibly fun even in a POS Kia rental car. More fun to drive a slow car fast and all that...

to the op: please don't take offense to my first post. As a part of NASA and then especially the SE , you're family. We love ya and want you to have fun and learn a little it's just not worth the expense of your or another family member's safety. If you can test the car, bring it....looks like a fun car. But if you're second-guessing, Ken's idea of a rental isn't unheard of.

Ridgerunner

brakn18; No offense taken. Safety is a main concern of mine. I do not want it endanger anyone or myself. I thought I had the car tested well last year. I had no real problems from the time I had drivable frame. I put the car through it paces last year with no failures. I would have drove the car anywhere. The caliper was not a big issue. It happens. The heims joint failure does bother me. I have ordered a complete set to replace all of the joints with chromemoly joint rated at 9500 lbs. The old ones were 3500 lbs. Hopefully I will have them in and a couple of days testing before coming.

Someone mentioned a failure at 100, but I was not planning to be a 100 MPH on my first outing in HPDE. KIA speeds would be just fine. I am not looking to move to racing just have a little fun.

I suspect you'll be pushing 100 even on your first HPDE. Hope you get everything together in time. CMP with NASA is a lot of fun. And CMP in that car should be a lot of fun.

I'm not driving this weekend but might come by the track Saturday to watch a buddy of mine run and watch some of the races. Would love to look at your car if you get there. I'd never heard of one of those either.

Ridgerunner

My parts are coming in tomorrow and about 3 hours work I should have the car ready to drive. I am taking Thursday off to do testing.

To answer some of the questions about the car, the donor was a Toyota first gen MR2. It uses the 4AGE engine and transmission. The brakes and steering also came out of the donor. The frame is a tube space frame. I have spent 4 years building this car. I am ready to drive it for awhile. I think there was only 5 or 6 bodies made. Mine is the only one with lambo doors.

kbrew8991

keep an eye on the hubs, Mk1 MR2 stuff isn't the strongest. Though a lightweight kit car on normal street type tires should help the matter